Hand Pass Goal

Started by Main Street, May 27, 2008, 12:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWe had an interesting one last year when a defender caught the ball in the small square and was tackled. The fair tackle knocked the ball from his hand clean into the net. Should the goal have stood?

Would have thought so David. Sounds the same as slapping or punching a loose ball into the net.

QuoteAnother area where there seems to be confusion (or at least it confused that idiot ref on sun at fer-mon game) is that if the ball is not deemed to be under control it can be hopped as many times as you want. On sun the ref blew someone for hopping the ball twice even though they were clearly bouncing it to get it under control.

I saw on here earlier in the year that refs have been told to clamp down on this and are taking a stricter interpretation of what is "not under control."
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

haranguerer

Quote from: David McKeown on May 27, 2008, 06:21:11 PM
We had an interesting one last year when a defender caught the ball in the small square and was tackled. The fair tackle knocked the ball from his hand clean into the net. Should the goal have stood?

As long as the tackler wasn't in the square when the ball came in, yep. Bet what happened tho was the ref bottled it and gave a free out. thats what he did to me once when I followed a shot in and punched it out of the keepers hands, into the net.

haranguerer

If thats true Tacadoir, it seems like a ridiculous trhing to clamp down on. Its not as though it gives anyone an unfair advantage. Frankly, no player is gonna be bouncing it basketball style unless it isn't under control, so its blatant when it is/is not under control.

ExiledGael

Quote from: haranguerer on May 27, 2008, 06:31:10 PM
If thats true Tacadoir, it seems like a ridiculous trhing to clamp down on. Its not as though it gives anyone an unfair advantage. Frankly, no player is gonna be bouncing it basketball style unless it isn't under control, so its blatant when it is/is not under control.

That is something that was mentioned earlier in the year by referees and the GAA. You have to wonder who comes up with some of this if they've watched football the last five years and decided to clamp down on that.

David McKeown

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 27, 2008, 06:26:54 PM
QuoteWe had an interesting one last year when a defender caught the ball in the small square and was tackled. The fair tackle knocked the ball from his hand clean into the net. Should the goal have stood?

Would have thought so David. Sounds the same as slapping or punching a loose ball into the net.

QuoteAnother area where there seems to be confusion (or at least it confused that idiot ref on sun at fer-mon game) is that if the ball is not deemed to be under control it can be hopped as many times as you want. On sun the ref blew someone for hopping the ball twice even though they were clearly bouncing it to get it under control.

I saw on here earlier in the year that refs have been told to clamp down on this and are taking a stricter interpretation of what is "not under control."

Yeah the ref gave it but it got me thinking as I dont know under what rule it would be allowed/ disallowed.  I could see in the rules how there would be no way a point scored in this manor would be allowed so I find it strange that a goal would be allowed.  (No close fist tackling/open hand point scoring)
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Glensman

Following on from Stevo:

Running through on goal, one on one (rare) I toe tap the ball (rare) and lose control of it (not rare)...it has clearly gone out of my control.
In the meantime the keeper is onrushing.
Can I fist the ball over his head if I can still reach it and the goal count?

A referee should never blow for the double bounce when out of control...its so obvious as stated that its out of control.

Makes it even firmer in my mind that referees should have to have played the game for a while at least.

haranguerer

Goal should deffo count. You shouldn't go on msg boards saying you lost control of the ball however, rahter you should claim it as a deliberate tactic to beat the keeper  ;)

thejuice

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 27, 2008, 04:44:16 PM
QuoteThat sounds okay to me. Though I can't remember a player scoring while sitting on his backside.

Think Brian Walsh got a goal for us against Galway one year in the Connacht SFC in Markievicz in circumstances like this.

Tommy Dowd scored a goal against Mayo in the '96 final while lying down,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Glensman

Clute McFetridge scored the best ever goal seen in Croke park while on his knees in the All Ireland semi v Offaly in 1989...but that's a different sport altogether.

HowdyDoody

just a quick question.   A lad running with the ball puts it around his back and takes it back again like in basketball but within the 4 steps.Is he called for a foul because he swapped hands?

stevo-08

Think thats allowed as long as the original hand maintains contact with the ball until the change is completed. And he can only do it once. See Rule 1.4 below:

1.4 When a player is in possession of the ball, it
may be:-
(a) carried for a maximum of four consecutive
steps or held in the hand(s) for no longer
than the time needed to take four steps;
(b) played from the foot to the hand(s)
-toe-tapped;
(c) bounced once, and once after each toetap;
(d) changed from one hand to the other once,
with the original holding hand maintaining
contact until the change is completed;

(e) struck with the open hand(s) or fist,
provided there is a definite striking action;
(f) tossed for a kick, a toe-tap or a pass with
the hand(s).
The ball may be knocked from an opponent's
hand(s) by flicking it with the open hand.

haranguerer

Quote from: HowdyDoody on May 29, 2008, 02:46:56 AM
just a quick question.   A lad running with the ball puts it around his back and takes it back again like in basketball but within the 4 steps.Is he called for a foul because he swapped hands?

Generally he'll get a free himself, because someone will no doubt attempt to break his spine for showing off... ;)

REDCOL

Managing an u14 team in Mayo. Two weeks ago playing a match when opposition MF soloing through, punches the ball which hops on ground and straight to the net. Ref allows goal, I shout in you cannot score a goal direct from handpass. Ref summons me towards him in the middle of field. He then says " I hate it when people involved with teams dont know the rules, go away and read a rulebook", I suggest he needs to read it, and he says he is 100% sure of the rule, he then asks for my name and threatens to report me for questioning his knowledge.  Next day I contact him in relation to an injured player, he asks did I read the rulebook, when I tell him I did and his interpretation is wrong, he still insists he is right and that he is right and has done a county final, and that I should accept it

haranguerer

Punches ball how? As in punches it out of the hand it is sitting in i.e handpass, or punches it as it returns to his body from solo/bounce? Latter ok, other not. Refs bound to know if its a handpass its not allowed, so presumably he didn't see it as one...

REDCOL

Handpass, he stated that since the ball bounced before it crossed the line, it nullified the handpass.