O Hara Comments

Started by SLIGONIAN, May 09, 2008, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

From Sligogaa.ie. Can someone explain to me what sligofans O Hara be's hanging around before games or knows?. Because Last yr alot of SLIGOFANS did believe we would win connaght and few of us put our money where our mouth is at 16/1. The opposite of what hes saying. We are all not the same. Shouldnt tarnish us all with the same brush. I dont buy into that pyschology because I dont live in the past.  Well all I can say is when I head into mchale I certainly WONT be shitting myself or thinking were we are gonna lose. I always believe we will win because on any day we can play well and win.

O'Hara confident of retaining title
Thursday, May 8th.

Eamonn O'Hara knows that Sligo will enter the Connacht Football Championship as underdogs to retain their crown, yet he believes they are capable of doing it.

The midfield powerhouse was delighted that The Yeats County were able to clinch the trophy last year and wants to repeat the same feat again this year.

Even with the odds stacked against them, O'Hara reckons that the current Sligo team can become a force within their province as they attempt to morph into a side that will erect a challenge each year.

"Every year Mayo and Galway believe Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon aren't good enough," O'Hara is quoted as saying in the Irish Mirror.

"I'm not saying that's a bad thing, that's just the way it has been for years.

"With the amount of Connacht and All-Ireland titles Mayo and Galway have won, they look down on us.

"Supporters buy into that sort of psychology, sure Sligo people didn't believe we could win Connacht last year but we did it and I'm sure it will be the same this year.

"Deep down we genuinely believe we're good enough to get to another Connacht final and win it when we get there."
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

corn02

I say those Sligo fans who did believe were in the minority, it would be like Down winning Ulster this year - a miracle.

Bensars

It depends what way you look at it. I can see his point. At the start of the year there wouldnt have been too many people who honestly believed sligo would win it.

Different story when sligo got to the final, but initially, hes proably spot on

jjjshabadoojnr

Well Sligonian, I had €100 on them last year at 16/1 but I am sorry when I say I wont be putting a red rex on them til after I see what kind of performance they put in over in London. Thought it good value last year as Ros kinda were not in good form and who knows in a one off game in the final. To win Connacht this year we would have to put two serious performances back to back (semi and Final). Are we capable of it? Time will tell. Would be some feeling leaving McHale with a win (If we beat London!)

magpie seanie

There was more in the article than that and he was ill advised to say some of it to put it mildly.

SLIGONIAN

Its hard to know how well we will do, I can see alot more potential in this current crop of players than they ever shown us. Even last yr i dont think we seen the best of them. And that where my belief lies in this squad in the potential of it.

O Hara comments annoyed me because it insults us as fans to say we buy into the inferiority complex. I certainly never felt inferior to anyone. He says it every year. Thats 3 interviews in 2 days in 3 different papers. He has alot to say it seems. No point pissing off his own fans and then other counties. He will be motivating them and shooting us in the foot.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 09, 2008, 05:03:13 PM
There was more in the article than that and he was ill advised to say some of it to put it mildly.

He should be punished and thrown off the squad, until after the McHale Park game at least.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

gaagaa

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 09, 2008, 03:55:48 PM
O'Hara confident of retaining title Thursday, May 8th.

Eamonn O'Hara knows that Sligo will enter the Connacht Football Championship as underdogs to retain their crown, yet he believes they are capable of doing it.Even with the odds stacked against them, O'Hara reckons that the current Sligo team can become a force within their province as they attempt to morph into a side that will erect a challenge each year.
"Every year Mayo and Galway believe Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon aren't good enough," O'Hara is quoted as saying in the Irish Mirror.
"I'm not saying that's a bad thing, that's just the way it has been for years.
"With the amount of Connacht and All-Ireland titles Mayo and Galway have won, they look down on us.
"Supporters buy into that sort of psychology, sure Sligo people didn't believe we could win Connacht last year but we did it and I'm sure it will be the same this year.
"Deep down we genuinely believe we're good enough to get to another Connacht final and win it when we get there."

i admire the man for stepping aside from all the usual talking up the oposition crap
cant see them doing that well this year but i hope im wrong

Maguire01

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on May 09, 2008, 04:47:05 PM
Well Sligonian, I had €100 on them last year at 16/1 but I am sorry when I say I wont be putting a red rex on them til after I see what kind of performance they put in over in London.
So you wouldn't put on money now, but you might on the basis of a performance against London?! There's not much logic to that, is there?  London are an unknown quantity each year - Sligo could beat them by 25 points and still be hammered by their next opponents.  The London game will tell you very little about where Sligo are.

SLIGONIAN

I wont learn anything from the london game. But I will be very interested in team selection for that game. I think that might be where JJJ is coming from.

Team selection has cost us all yr. We are all hoping he selects the best team at his disposal. Giving us the best possible chance against Mayo. I will wait till the thursday before the Mayo game when I see the team selection before putting money on us.

Even this time last yr we didnt have much to base our faith on, judging our leagueform last yr, this yr is quite similiar. But we are a summer team so I believe even if it maybe blindfaith :). No one knows the future but our players and supporters have to believe in ourselves but nobody can be sure. Its all on the day.

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 10, 2008, 02:17:12 PM
Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on May 09, 2008, 04:47:05 PM
Well Sligonian, I had €100 on them last year at 16/1 but I am sorry when I say I wont be putting a red rex on them til after I see what kind of performance they put in over in London.
So you wouldn't put on money now, but you might on the basis of a performance against London?! There's not much logic to that, is there?  London are an unknown quantity each year - Sligo could beat them by 25 points and still be hammered by their next opponents.  The London game will tell you very little about where Sligo are.

What I was getting at Maguire was the team selection for the London game. I think the team can perform way better if the team selection is correct and players are picked where they are best suited. I dont think the manager knows his best starting 15 if the league is anything to go by.The experiment of moving Maguire out from Full back was madness. The full back line has picked itself for the last two years.
So that is why I am withholding judgement until after the London game.

magpie seanie

Anyone hear anything about the Wexford game yesterday?

Mano

Eamon always speaks his mind no matter what the topic and any interview he has ever given he doesn't engage in the typicle GAA cliches. This can obviously be very dangerous and can motivate opposing teams. He is not very popular in Roscommon for example after a comment he made on a Northern GAA programme about Roscommons changes of beating Kerry a few years ago.

With regard to his latest comments i would agree with him to a certain extent. From my own viewpoint i was more hopeful than confident of winning last year and many of my friends were of the same opinion. Traditionally we are not as good as the bigger counties with bigger populations and have taken some heavy beatings over the years. Even when we had a good team in the late 90's and early 00's they still managed to beat us as the team didn't seem to have the belief required.

In summation i think he is spot on with his comments although i don't think he should be using the media to broadcast them.

all star

Sligo beat wexford handy enough in the end. Egan started centre back and played well looks like he will be there for London game. They are now playing a two man full forward line of Kelly and jonny davy...... just heard that wasn't at game.   

western exile

Quote from: corn02 on May 09, 2008, 04:39:24 PM
I say those Sligo fans who did believe were in the minority, it would be like Down winning Ulster this year - a miracle.
Not a miracle.  Just an outside chance at 16/1. Was Sligo's win in Connaught last year a miracle?