Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectator

Quote from: stephenite on May 15, 2008, 12:51:01 AM
It's not difficult at all, in fact I don't see it as discriminatory or unsporting - Ballagh is in Mayo if you play Gaelic Games, these lads and their parents know, that when they send them out as young fellas they'll be playing in Mayo competitions and for Mayo if they're good enough. Same as if they were bought up in any other county - if they wanted to play in another county's competitions and for another county the can always move to avail themselves of that opportunity

What a pile of piffle. You'd prefer to see the young lads turning to soccer, as is happening at the moment, than make a simple allowance which offers them the choice of playing for their home county, if they so wished.

"Same as if they are being brought up in any other county" ... erm, don't want to point out the obvious here, but unless I'm mistaken they are being brought up in anther county - Roscommon.

Quote from: stephenite on May 15, 2008, 12:51:01 AM
As for my opinions tarnishing Mayo's sporting reputation among the wider community....   :D ;D :D Believe me when I say no one else gives a fiddlers about the situation

Well, ye'd defineitely get 10 \ 10 for arrogance, smugness and complacency whatever about yeer dodgy grasp of geography :D

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 15, 2008, 05:21:12 AM
Bringing in any sort of 'allowance' that you mention would only set a dangerous precedent.
The point is if you allow players from Ballagh to choose which county to play for, other border players will have legitimate claims to extend this provision to their club because some of the parish is in another county.
And if that were to start happening we would be causing untold damage to the association imho

I see what you're saying R&GS, but to be fair I covered that angle before & imho an Irish solution to an Irish problem is needed regarding Ballagh. ie a nod & a wink arrangement.

If say, a legal challenge were taken - or perhaps some group with an interest in breaking the current GAA structure got involved - the parish rule would be blown to smithereens. Ye need to think about that in Mayo.

The remarkable thing in Ballagh's case is that the town is 4 - 5 miles from the Mayo border. It's only two boggy townlands - which you'd hardly feed a snipe on - which are actually in County Mayo. Ballagh town itself is at the end of the parish most distant from the County Mayo border. Categorising Ballagh as being 'borderline' is plainly stretching things to the absolute limit.

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on May 15, 2008, 09:22:19 PM
Now in what fine historical opus did you find that?

Arragh Jaysus Turlough, did you never hear the oul congested districts board theory? I won't take it personally that you don't hang on my every gaaboard post ;)

Tatler Jack

QuoteWell, ye'd defineitely get 10 \ 10 for arrogance, smugness and complacency whatever about yeer dodgy grasp of geography

I sometimes wonder if Stephenite is related to that other rmodest Mayo man - the one and only Pee Flynn ;)

stephenite

Quote from: spectator on May 15, 2008, 10:39:22 PM

What a pile of piffle. You'd prefer to see the young lads turning to soccer, as is happening at the moment, than make a simple allowance which offers them the choice of playing for their home county, if they so wished.

But you're still missing the point - it's not their own county if they choose to play Gaelic Games - as for young guys turning to soccer because they possible might have to play for Mayo under the current set up - well I find that very hard to believe, young lads are turning to soccer all over the country regardless of what county they're forced to play Gaelic Games with, or not.

"Same as if they are being brought up in any other county" ... erm, don't want to point out the obvious here, but unless I'm mistaken they are being brought up in anther county - Roscommon.

Errm, don't want to point out the obvious either, but if they're playing Gaelic Games then they are in Mayo.

Well, ye'd defineitely get 10 \ 10 for arrogance, smugness and complacency whatever about yeer dodgy grasp of geography :D

Not trying to smug or arrogant or complacent about anything, and my geography is fine thaks very much. Ballagh lies well within the Roscommon border - but for reasons that have already been outlined when it comes to the GAA, they ply their trade in the Mayo competitions and their players represent Mayo. You know this, not sure if you think that by saying it repeatedly it will somehow become fact, I can assure you it won't.

As for my opinions tarnishing Mayo's sporting reputation, well it is a ludicrous enough suggestion to start with, but I'm confident if you asked a proper independent observer from another county (who doesn't read or contribute to this board) and he/she would either look at you like you had two heads, tell you to get lost and stop annoying them or tell you that the opinion of one person from Mayo couldn't possible tarnsih the reputation of a whole entire county and perhaps you should go and see someone to discuss your issues.

If say, a legal challenge were taken - or perhaps some group with an interest in breaking the current GAA structure got involved - the parish rule would be blown to smithereens. Ye need to think about that in Mayo.

The remarkable thing in Ballagh's case is that the town is 4 - 5 miles from the Mayo border. It's only two boggy townlands - which you'd hardly feed a snipe on - which are actually in County Mayo. Ballagh town itself is at the end of the parish most distant from the County Mayo border. Categorising Ballagh as being 'borderline' is plainly stretching things to the absolute limit.

100% corrrect, I couldn't agree with you more. If a legal challenge were to successfully overturn this issue and force players to either play for Roscommon or allow them choose it would have ramifications not just for Mayo but for every county in the association, and the repurcussions are just not worth thinking about in my opinion. Not just from a Mayo point of view but trying to take in the bigger picture of the associationas a whole, and if a legal challenge was mounted I would imagine that it might well be successful, based on the fact that the majority of the parish lies well within the Ross border.

stephenite

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 15, 2008, 10:55:42 PM
QuoteWell, ye'd defineitely get 10 \ 10 for arrogance, smugness and complacency whatever about yeer dodgy grasp of geography

I sometimes wonder if Stephenite is related to that other rmodest Mayo man - the one and only Pee Flynn ;)

See reply to Spectator TJ - not sure why modesty or lack of is being called into question - simply dealing in facts, I know that these facts are hard to stomach for you guys but do try to keep a level head and not resort to cheap shots, you seem like an intelligent enough kid

moysider

I would nt have a problem with a Ballagh lad choosing to play for Ros if that was what he wanted to do. I only want lads playing that really want to play for Mayo. If Andy Moran preferred to play with Ros away with him, or Pierce Hanley too if he were still around and preferred to play for Ros - great and all though their losses would  be to us. Coming from where I do in the county Ballagh is 1/3 way to Dublin so I cannot say what makes the place tick - its a midland town as far as I m concerned. But talking to some of their fans at club matches it is clear they[ at least the ones I have talked to] regard themselves as part of the Mayo set-up, would not entertain suggestions of playing in the Ros championship and seem bemused if asked about where their real allegiance lies.

stephenite

I wouldn't have a problem with a lad choosing to play for Ros per se - I'd agree with your sentiment Moysider. However, the implications of such a precedent would cause a huge headache for the association as a whole and I just can't see it ever happening, the Connacht Council for a start would never allow it, it either goes back to Roscommon lock, stock and barrel or it stays as is.

I would have thought that if the over riding sentiment in the Ballagh community was for a change to be made and move back to Roscommon than the club officers would be able to mount a successful case to the provincial council - community protests outside the door of meetings etc. Get the media onside, it wouldn't be too hard to organise if the majority of the Ballagh community were in favour of this, I can only surmise that the majority are not in favour of this and quite happy with the current arrangement. If there was enough pressure applied the provincial council would be forced by HQ to back down  in fear of a precedent setting court case that would blow the entire thing wide open - Spectator is right in that Ballagh is a different casr than most other counties border disputes, it lies too far inland for the border to be too much of  an issue

Judging by some of the comments from the Rossies one would expect that at least some of the pro-Rossies in Ballagh are involved in the local club, and have manouvered themselves into positions on the committee etc.

I know lads living in Ballagh, I've talked to lads from Ballagh that have played for Mayo and they'd be horrified if it went back to Roscommon - I think the local case is being over stated by some on here - I don't believe that the majority of the members of the Ballaghaderren club are in favour of a move back to Roscommon

Lecale2

Quote from: billy the kid on May 15, 2008, 04:21:04 PM
By the way ypuve some neck on you saying beating down is like beating up your younger brother. 
How many All irelands do Armagh have?    1
How many do Down have?                       5

Your obviously one of the Armagh bandwagoners who came on board in 2002 or after and have no memory of the serious beatings Armagh took over the previous 20 years as you had no interest in them then or werent born and dont respect or appreciate the history of the GAA

Your also probably 1 of these Armagh fans who think the history of the GAA started in 2002

Real Armagh fans were at many a game before 2002 and since 2002 and will be at many more in the barren years ahead. :o :o

By the way all Derry folk hate Tyrone the most unless your from Derry city where you hate Tyrone and Derry the most.

Well said Billy!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 15, 2008, 05:21:12 AM
Bringing in any sort of 'allowance' that you mention would only set a dangerous precedent.
The point is if you allow players from Ballagh to choose which county to play for, other border players will have legitimate claims to extend this provision to their club because some of the parish is in another county.
And if that were to start happening we would be causing untold damage to the association imho

I see what you're saying R&GS, but to be fair I covered that angle before & imho an Irish solution to an Irish problem is needed regarding Ballagh. ie a nod & a wink arrangement.

[

I'm simply stating that as far as the GAA goes on this Ballagh is borderline. Allowing someone from Ballagh' to play with Ros could not be viewed in isolation. It could lead to serious repurcursions. I know you might say this argument suits Mayo but the reality is that the only way this can change is if Ballagh' assimilate into Roscommon completely for football purposes and I don't think, as Stephenite points out, that the locals are keen on that.
Perhaps it is harsh that someone like Andy Moran can't play for the county he supported but there's a greater good here, we can't lose sight of that
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Quotethe Connacht Council for a start would never allow it

You'd be surprised what gets allowed. How's Tom Parsons shaping up?

red hander

Quote from: billy the kid on May 15, 2008, 04:11:59 PM
Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on May 15, 2008, 12:00:03 AM
Theres a health rivaltry between Armagh and Tyrone in recent year - generally good natured. Tyrone/Londonderry is very bitter. Armagh/Down is like beating up your wee brother - it's too easy but you still enjoy it.

Who the f**k are this English Team Tyrone Dont Get on with?

I know us Derry folk hate them but we also hate nothing more than pig ignorant GAA folk legitimising the rape, pillaging and murder that was brought to our nation by adopting the corrupted and insulting name the english crown tried to impose on the county of Derry.
You should be ashamed of yourself and all like you.  You call yourself an Irishman? We call you a joke and a disgrace.

Its interesting that most Protestants in Derry refer to it as Derry as do all Catholics.  Its only pig ignorant in-breds like you who use the name that shall not be spoken.

Ooooh, touched a raw nerve have we?  Billy, that's short for William, isn't it?

billy the kid

Read the front page of the Irish news RH. Nice bit in it about how stupid tyrone people are :o :o

Just confirming what the rest of the country already knows I suppose.

On second thoughts get someone to read it to you and explain the big words.  ;) ;) :D
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Mike Sheehy

QuoteRead the front page of the Irish news RH. Nice bit in it about how stupid tyrone people are   

A judge said that. It was a case of mistaken identity in a court case.

Its a bit like the way they get Peter Canavan mixed up with God. Thankfully Maurice has a sense of humour and just laughs it off.

ziggysego

I'm thinking it was you Billy, he also had an outburst about Londonderry too ;)
Testing Accessibility

Tatler Jack

QuoteSee reply to Spectator TJ - not sure why modesty or lack of is being called into question - simply dealing in facts, I know that these facts are hard to stomach for you guys but do try to keep a level head and not resort to cheap shots, you seem like an intelligent enough kid

Thanks for the compliment Stephenite - nice to be still called a kid even if it is 45 years this year since I attended ny first championship game.

I have no wish to rehash this debate Stepheniite as I have more to do - but please drop the "lets be reasonable Im right" approach. This debate has two sides to it and the Ros people also deal in facts. And if you do decide to argue forcibly and robustly (which I enjoy) then expect some come back. I did not intend any cheap shot - just a bit of humour kiddo. You are a good man for giving stick - sometimes you have to take it as well.

Now as I was saying the facts of the matter with regard to Balllagh are.....etc...etc  :)

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 16, 2008, 03:19:06 PM
Quotethe Connacht Council for a start would never allow it

You'd be surprised what gets allowed. How's Tom Parsons shaping up?

Very well apparently - Charlestown I thought but I'm guessing from your comments he's from the far side of the border? Who did he play with on the way up?