Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Jerome voiced his opinion too much instead of asking questions.. good to see him gone, seen denise watson won the sports journalist of the year..
could jerome replace datsun donaghy?
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Minder

You have to think when you look at Austin O Callaghan & Jerome Quinn.......Is there a canteen at the BBC?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Uladh

Nothing wrong with the change i suppose. o'callaghan always seems like a competent journo. personally, i like jerome's style and the charachter he brought to the program - way better than the bland rte dummies. on the bigger picture though it seems to me that this is down to the bbc bosses waiting a long long time in the long grass to get Jerome back in the best way they could.

by the way - all gaa journos are familiar with this board.

ziggysego

He was always a good friend of the boards and often extended the conversations we were having onto the programme. Anyone not remember the telephone debate they had on who had the prettiest supporters?  :D
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Quote from: Uladh on April 22, 2008, 02:57:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the change i suppose. o'callaghan always seems like a competent journo. personally, i like jerome's style and the charachter he brought to the program - way better than the bland rte dummies. on the bigger picture though it seems to me that this is down to the bbc bosses waiting a long long time in the long grass to get Jerome back in the best way they could.

by the way - all gaa journos are familiar with this board.

You're not actually saying Jerome is better than Lyster! Spillane of course but definitely not Lyster.

amigo

Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 22, 2008, 09:40:44 AM
This is one for the true Championship fans.

Can you name the former pundid on the Championship who's reply to every question was "very much so Jackie".

Why wasn't Michaela Harte considered for this post after all she has plenty of PR experience.

Apparently she had a good chance of getting the job !! Only thing was they couldn't get her removed off Mickey' arm.  :D She loves the MEDIA.

Uladh

Quote from: screenexile on April 22, 2008, 03:04:38 PM
You're not actually saying Jerome is better than Lyster! Spillane of course but definitely not Lyster.

Lyster is god awful

Hardy

If there's a higher degree of awful than "god", I'd give it to him.

Maroon Heaven

I think JQ would do a good job for RTE if given the chance. Spillane was a good pundit but is sh1t in the hotseat. Lyster is alright but bland. Makes John Major look colourful.

Good Luck JQ where ever you end up, if its only boiling tea for Jackie Fullerton.

5 Sams

In fairness lads Jerome is real GAA man....shown by the work he does at Bredagh....and whats wrong with him having an opinion...sure dont we all have ours!!
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

He was some craic that night in Greencastle when Tyrone won the Ulster Championship, with Sean Teague as Captain.
Testing Accessibility

rrhf

Ok Some want christine Bleakley - others want Nudie Hughes could we maybe have a vote to see would a nudie bleakley team bring in viewers?

On a more serious note it seems that if Jerome has been sacrificed for fighting for the rights of our GAA viewing public in the North then I say All Hail Jerome, Fair dues to ye sir and   er ... bring us a cup of tea please!  ;)

Yes I Would

Bring back Jerome! All is forgiven.
Bleakley can stay with that muppet Adrian Chiles!

T Fearon

Its not plausible to think that he was sacrificed for fighting for GAA exposure, especially since the exposure has been increased dramatically. Also the report in the Irish News stated that Jerome remains a valued member of the BBC sports team. I think it is probably simply to give more experience to younger presenters,freshen the format, and hope that Austie will bring in a few additional 26 counties viewers as well.

The beeb's policy was in the early years, with the likes of Mark Robson and Jackie Fullerton presenting, to try and attract unionist minded viewers. Jerome had to wait his turn for a number of years and I doubt if you've seen the last of him in the presenter's chair

Donagh

Quote from: ziggysego on April 22, 2008, 01:19:47 PM
From what I've heard, Quinn was slowly been pushed to the background due to his protest of the poor and negative coverage of the GAA by the BBC in recent years. I believe he now just monitors the BBCi Sports NI and the odd wee bit of television work.

As for Austin, I met him a few years ago. A very nice and knowledgeable man. Plus, he's familiar with the board ;)

He does Sunday Sportsound on the radio now (replacing O'Callaghan). I think you all are maybe reading too much into this. Quinn has done a great job for the GAA on the BBC, even winning a 'national' award for their live coverage of the 2003 final. Although we know his famous night at Windsor Park didn't go down well with the powers at be but it's probably just time to freshen things up a bit. O'Callaghan knows his stuff and has been very good on the radio the past few years but it remains to be seen if he can transfer that to the telly. Having a neutral presenter will be no bad thing either.

Wouldn't mind seeing the back of McHugh as well. Not that I don't like him or anything but if I want his opinions all I have to do is flick around the dial, Radio 1, TodayFM, Highland Radio, Radio Ulster plus a few of the newspapers. Come the Championship I'm all McHughed out.