Iar Mhí v An Cabhán

Started by Mentalman, April 04, 2008, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Couldn't see this thread elsewhere, so here we go!

No news from the Westmeath camp so far, but picked this up off Hoganstand for Cavan:

Cavan make two changes
04 April 2008

Jonathan Crowe and Jason O'Reilly have been drafted into the Cavan team for Sunday's crucial NFL clash with Westmeath in Mullingar.

Crowe replaces John McCutcheon at right half back, while the vastly experienced Jason O'Reilly is retained at top of the left after coming on as a half-time substitute for Gerard Pierson during last Saturday's dramatic win over Cork.

Nothing less than a victory will suffice for the Breffnimen in their bid to avoid relegation to Division 3 next season, while Westmeath still harbour hopes of reaching the Division 2 final.

Cavan (SF v Westmeath): J Reilly; M Hannon, P Reilly, M Brides; J Crowe, A Forde, D Sheridan; D McCabe, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Flanagan, M McKeever; E O'Reilly, S Johnston, J O'Reilly.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=92317

Cavan's very own Chuck Norris/Jack Bauer back in the side - be afraid, be very afraid  :)
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AZOffaly

That's Larry Mentalman, not Jason. Larry's gonna be mad!

Homer

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2008, 11:02:19 AM

He sure will, it's probably best you lie for a few days Mentalman maybe find a safe house or something.

Mentalman

Quote from: Homer on April 04, 2008, 11:58:16 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2008, 11:02:19 AM

He sure will, it's probably best you lie for a few days Mentalman maybe find a safe house or something.

D'oh!!! Officially taking the shame, prior to boarding plane for Malawi - but sure what's the point, I can run (not as fast Larry obviously) but I definitely can't hide.

Croí na hÉireann

Only a hint of de team from Hoganstand...

Meanwhile, Westmeath football manager Tomas O Flatharta could once again be without wing forward Fergal Wilson for Sunday's NFL clash with Cavan at Cusack Park. The Tubberclair man was due to return to the team for last weekend's win over Roscommon after serving a month's suspension, but was forced to cry off with a knee infection.

"He has this thing called septicitis, which is an infection in the joint of his leg where he kicks the ball. It can be a very nasty thing and he has to be very careful," O Flatharta explained.

Defender Francis Boyle was also a late withdrawal from last Sunday's team due to 'flu, but could have a fight on his hands to regain his place from Doran Harte, who performed impressively in his absence in Kiltoom.

Well at least we know now where Frankie and Willo were last weekend. Should be a tight game against Cavan this weekend, they beat Cork by a point in their last game and only lost out narrowly down in Neavvannn so they're obviously improving as the league progresses. They beat us in Cusack Park in the league in 2006 so there should be no extra motivation needed. A win could possibly set up a winner takes all in Clones in a fortnights time, which would be tasty. Big challenge ahead for Kieran Gavin, lets hope he repeats his performance against Cussen on Johnston.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cavanmaniac

I've a feeling Cavan will have been very busy congratulating themsevles after beating Cork - a side with only three games played and less training. Manager was very keen to claim this victory as an answer to the critics which is a bit worrying IMO.

Westmeath are strong at home and while I expect it to be a tight scoreline, the best I could see Cavan doing is to snatch a draw perhaps.

Croí na hÉireann

Two changes for Westmeath
04 April 2008

Francis Boyle and Fergal Wilson return to the Westmeath team for Sunday's NFL clash with Cavan at Cusack Park.

Both players were late withdrawals from the side that easily defeated Roscommon last weekend due to 'flu and septicitus of the knee respectively. Killucan clubman Boyle regains the number two jersey from Doran Harte, while Wilson, who recently served a one-month suspension, resumes in place of Damien Kelly.

Dermot Bannon retains his place at top of the left, despite coming under pressure from his Athlone clubmate Mickey Greene and The Downs' Tommy Cleary.

Westmeath (SF v Cavan): G Connaughton; F Boyle, K Gavin, J Keane; M Ennis, D Heavin, D Healy; D Duffy, M Flanagan; F Wilson, D Dolan (captain), D O'Donoghue; A Mangan, D Glennon, D Bannon.

I'd be very surprised/disappointed if that's the team that lines out. If Willo has knee trouble for Gods sake rest him and have him right for the Monaghan game in two weeks. I'd give Doran Harte another starting chance, didn't do much wrong the last day. Up front there's a lot of pressure on young Bannon to show that he's able for this level. I think it might be a bit soon for the young lad...

Mentalman

Still, that must be close to our Champo side? Other than the Bannon question. Our patented 5 player, no inside man, forward line :)

AN other

It's about as strong a fifteen as we have alright. I don't understand why O'Flaherta is persisting with Bannon...

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 04, 2008, 06:12:17 PM
I think it might be a bit soon for the young lad...

He is 23, its now or never to prove himself, you dont get many chances at this level.

Quote from: AN other on April 04, 2008, 08:05:09 PM
It's about as strong a fifteen as we have alright. I don't understand why O'Flaherta is persisting with Bannon...

He hasnt got a whole lot of options. Not many 'inside' forwards on the panel. He is holding out on Cian O'Leary joining the panel after his exams, but he is also untried at this level.

Mentalman

Just in from the match, 10-6 to Westmeath. Probably our worst performance of the year, but as one guy said on the way out "Better to win a bad one, than lose a good one.". By my reckoning Cavan should have been at least three points up at half time, the score been 5 a piece. A very disciplined performance from Iarmhi in the second half, similar to those we've seen so far this year, soaking up the opposition pressure and scoring on the break. I'm not sure how that will work out in Championship football, but maybe in Leinster it will get you a couple of games into the championship. The taking off of Kelly, Bannon and Cleary smacked of O'Flatherta losing patience with them, as they have had their chances this year. Still Tormey didn't realy shwo anything on getting a run. Not sure what happened with Flan, started poorly enough, but no worse than some, but didn't just show any hunger for the game, but then again could have been injured. Duffy did well, but could really do with his teammates waiting for the ball he almost inevitably breaks in the middle. Dolan was immense again today, I have to say his appetite for the game and for hard work never ceases to amaze me. Glennon took good scores again today, and might have had more, duping the Cavan marker in under the ball a couple of times. Buddha worked hard, without really contributing, and though sometimes he is his own worst enemy, I think the crowd get on his back to easy. Willo did well as did our half backs. Gavin looked a little afraid of Johnson, so it's kind of just as well the number 14 tried to d everything by himself. Keane and Boyle were quiet, but effective. And Gary Connaughton is still barking mad. We still really need an out and out 14 who is looking to break into the middle, and another haf forward who could chip in with a score would be nice, but I suppose at this point they are just not going to materialise.

So safe for another year then, and with the game in Clones to look forward to, you never know?

shark

Like I said on a different thread, Westmeath were not great but Cavan were really poor. Cavan had little or no gameplan, Johnston was fairly ineffective, he didnt score from play and the free he scored was a harsh call on Gavin. Thought Gavin did well considering the roasting Canty got last week of Johnston, he isnt always in front but is almost never rounded by his man. Duffy did well but Flanagan seemed to be disinterested. Kelly and Bannon are just not gonna cut it at this level, Kelly is clearly not a forward, has always played half-back for Athlone. Doran Harte did very well when he came on. Ennis and Healy were both outstanding.
Will have to improve to beat Monaghan, but then again if Monaghan play like they did last night....

Croí na hÉireann

Would echo de above comments, we were poor enough, Duffy and Nachie carried the game for us I felt, Denis didn't seem to show much ill effects when he came on and should have started. Would love to see Dessie and Denis playing inside together, could be our terrible twins. I know Dessie gets through an awful amount of work out the field but you need to be playing your scoring forwards close to goal. Cavan were terrible, 19 wides says it all really. Flan did indeed seem disinterested, just as I thought he was starting to find some consistency. Read in one of de papers today that he was injured so hopefully that was the reason for his no show.

Ref made some shocking decisions for both teams. I know we're always giving out about them and that there's a thread elsewhere but if they only gave those mystifying decisions (you know the ones, crowding around the player, he either gets a free in or gets blown for overcarrying) and stopped making blindingly obvious errors you could live with them. Thankfully wasn't the difference on Sun and at least Gary gave him a blast of the hairdryer...

Sets it all up for Clones, should be a decent support from Westmeath for the winner takes all clash, this will give us a great indicator of where we really are, have to start our champ 15, mine would be (if all fit):
         Gary,
Boyle, Gavin, Keane
Healy, Heavin, Nachie
     Flan, Duffy
Willo, G. Dolan, O'Donoghue
Budda, Glennon, Dessie

Option of putting Green in the full forward line and bringing Dessie out if it wasn't working with himself and Denis in there. Should have been tried at least at this stage, great opportunity the next day Tomás  ;)