Hotels near Twickenham stadium

Started by thejuice, March 20, 2008, 10:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Anyone know any nearby hotels near Twickenham? Any in walking distance?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

T Fearon

Was at Twickenham for a Rolling Stones concert a couple of years ago. Wouldn't want to stay there though as it looked drab. There's a good frequent underground service from nearby Richmond to the city centre though.

thejuice

Im actually going there for a concert, how far away is the tube station?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

thejuice, my sister informs me that Twickenham is a nightmare to get away from to the tubes after a game. Could be different after a concert, but I would imagine it would be quite difficult too.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

About two miles. But I have to say the transport was extremely well organised for the Stones concert. A f leet of double decker buses awaited concert goers coming of the tube at Richmond and ferried them free of charge to the stadium, and similarly after the gig, the same fleet of buses was on hand to ferry people back to Richmond tube station after the gig. The policy seemed to be to prevent crowds from gathering outside the venue and move people on quickly. I was back in my hotel on the edge of Hyde Park less than one hour after the concert ended

thejuice

cool, just checked the map, the tube stations not that far, theres a hostel that we stayed in after Giants game in central London that I might try get.

T Fearon

Who are you going to see, by the way?

thejuice

T Fearon

Didn't think they'd be a big enough act to play at Twickenham! Enjoy! And look out for the signs inside the stadium directing you to alcohol outlets, which state simply "Beer" and a finger pointing in the appropriate direction ;D  Made me laugh anyway!

PS Also be prepared for a long Croker like climb, if your seat is in the upper echelons of the stands!

thejuice

No standing, front row if possible. The reason they'll fill Twickenham is because its their only gig in Britain this year and they're not playing in Ireland. if you know maiden fans they'll travel any lenght to go see them. I know lads from Dublin and Belfast that are following them across Europe for about 10+ gigs

Hound

Is Eddie still on the go?

Is the Union Jack still prominent at their gigs and on their albums? (Doesnt bother me, but would some)

T Fearon

Isn't Dickinson a big Huns fan and didn't he pilot one of their flights to an away European game in recent years and became matey with the team?

thejuice

Eddie is always there, on all the album covers and wobbles around the stage for a bit in every gig. As for the Jack, well that comes out for the song "The Trooper", Bruce waves it while dressed in a 19th century soldiers uniform. The song is about the Battle of Balaclava in 1854 during the Crimean War, and is at least partially based upon Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade".

They got booed for doing it in Dublin about 4 years ago and when they played the RDS about 2 years ago they left it out. But for me its stupid. The song is about a historic event that happened 150 years ago on the far side of Europe so I dont see what people got upset about. Well I do but they are completely mis-placing their anger

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on March 20, 2008, 10:57:23 AM
About two miles. But I have to say the transport was extremely well organised for the Stones concert. A f leet of double decker buses awaited concert goers coming of the tube at Richmond and ferried them free of charge to the stadium, and similarly after the gig, the same fleet of buses was on hand to ferry people back to Richmond tube station after the gig. The policy seemed to be to prevent crowds from gathering outside the venue and move people on quickly. I was back in my hotel on the edge of Hyde Park less than one hour after the concert ended

I stayed in a travelodge in Richmond when over for the Heiniken cup final last year and the buses ferry you to and from the stadium. I was a lot handier than I had anticipated so I wouldn't worry so much about getting a hotel right beside the stadium

thejuice

Quote from: T Fearon on March 20, 2008, 11:45:04 AM
Isn't Dickinson a big Huns fan and didn't he pilot one of their flights to an away European game in recent years and became matey with the team?

He is a chartered pilot of course, I dont think he's much of a football fan he's more into fencing and flying. But sure even if he was?!?!  A few of the band are big West Ham fans though