Croker

Started by doirebhoy, February 26, 2008, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doirebhoy

the shear fact is that if soccer n rugby teams can warm up, have light sessions on it before big games, y cant we the grass roots of gaa not get a run out on it, the most clubs would be doing is a bita passing, soloing, etc, maybe odd bit of shooting, too bad if this would destroy the pitch.

ziggysego

Quote from: doirebhoy on February 26, 2008, 01:58:16 PM
the shear fact is that if soccer n rugby teams can warm up, have light sessions on it before big games, y cant we the grass roots of gaa not get a run out on it, the most clubs would be doing is a bita passing, soloing, etc, maybe odd bit of shooting, too bad if this would destroy the pitch.

Are the IRFU and FAI playing the GAA for these training sessions? Is it part of the relaxing of Rule 42. If it is, no matter how much of a distaste is leaves, there's nothing we can do.
Testing Accessibility

nrico2006

Yeah, one thing I can't understand is how so many big ogames (u-21 championship, club finals at JR,INT,SEN) are not even played in Croke Park.  Surely it shouldn't be too hard to play these games there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: ziggysego on February 26, 2008, 01:40:44 PM
Quote from: scalder on February 26, 2008, 11:23:14 AM
I can confirm 100% that I've seen team in the AI club final having run outs  in Croke Park, saw them their in 2005 and 2006 anyway lads.

I can also confirm it. Saw it in 2007.

The teams had run outs/training sessions in the days leading up to the game?

ziggysego

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 26, 2008, 02:01:59 PM
Yeah, one thing I can't understand is how so many big ogames (u-21 championship, club finals at JR,INT,SEN) are not even played in Croke Park.  Surely it shouldn't be too hard to play these games there.

National Leagues Finals aren't even being played in Croke Park this year.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2008, 02:03:30 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 26, 2008, 01:40:44 PM
Quote from: scalder on February 26, 2008, 11:23:14 AM
I can confirm 100% that I've seen team in the AI club final having run outs  in Croke Park, saw them their in 2005 and 2006 anyway lads.

I can also confirm it. Saw it in 2007.

The teams had run outs/training sessions in the days leading up to the game?

In my case, a few hours and weekend before.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

So Greencastle had a training session in Croker the weekend before the Club JFC final last year?

Franko

"Grass Roots" - the most over used phrase in Ireland at the moment.

feetofflames

Well said men.  My opinion on this is quite short.  You cant become a tart for a week and expect people to respect you the following week.  
The democratic ethos of the GAA can work both ways,  it can work as your protection but I wonder deep down do the vast majority of I believe genuinely misguided gaels who voted to open Croke Park, still feel as certain that what they did was the right thing to do.  My conviction is stronger now than the day I voted no, and Ive enjoyed watching the rugby.  I just see the GAA in turmoil at the moment and the vultures are circling.  The GAA as a national organisatuion and as a major facilitator of community voluntary activity has never been threatened as much.  My fear is that this threat is coming from the very top of our organisation.  We now have political opportunists instead of GAA men running the show.        
Chief Wiggum

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2008, 02:05:53 PM
So Greencastle had a training session in Croker the weekend before the Club JFC final last year?

Well not so much training session, more of a familiarisation session of Croke Park.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

What did it entail? Were they running around on the pitch?

Hound

Quote from: ziggysego on February 26, 2008, 02:03:55 PM
National Leagues Finals aren't even being played in Croke Park this year.
And rightly so - unless the games are likely to come close to filling Croker.

Ridiculous playing NFL/NHL games in a half full Croker with zero atmosphere, when there are fine, and under-used, grounds up and down the country which would be ideal.

As for Paddys Day - its a big hullaballoo over nothing.

In my opinion its got nothing to do with rugby or soccer, and its just the GAA trying to use it an an excuse because they are scrimping and saving on the relatively small cost of having to open up Croker the weekend before to let the lads have a run around. Studs shouldnt (and I thought they never were) be allowed in any event for these runaround sessions. But at the end of the day all the teams are effected equally - so no big deal.  

doire na raithe

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 26, 2008, 02:01:59 PM

What is the obsession with some people in bringing these extremely poorly attended games (in relative comparison) to one of the biggest stadiums in the world? It doesn't make sense. You can use the argument all you want that it is the dream of every hurler/footballer to play in Croke Park but that doesn't justify playing any of these games (prestigous in their own right) in front of a stadium that is 80% empty?

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2008, 02:12:20 PM

The changing rooms facilities, the indoor training facilities and a run around on the pitch.

More to help ease the awe factor on match that, than actually training purposes.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: ziggysego on February 26, 2008, 02:28:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2008, 02:12:20 PM

The changing rooms facilities, the indoor training facilities and a run around on the pitch.

More to help ease the awe factor on match that, than actually training purposes.

Well then I would say that the 4 teams should get that this time as well. How can that itinery seriously damage any pitch? Especially if they are in runners?