AFL Invasion

Started by AbbeySider, February 13, 2008, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

Who are the eleven?  OM has 4 named in that post.  That leaves 7.  Martin Clarke, Colm Begley,  Setanta, Tadgh...
Now I need 3.
In your Endo!

corn02

Off The Fence

Didnt your boy Kevin? Dyas from Armagh go to Collingwood?

BallyhaiseMan

Brian Donnelly(Louth)
Michael Quinn(Longford)
Conor Meredith(Laois)

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 03, 2008, 02:07:40 PM
Brian Donnelly(Louth)
Michael Quinn(Longford)
Conor Meredith(Laois)

Nah, the above were mentioned in the post from OM.  Kevin Dyas is right

Only need 2 now.
In your Endo!

Off The Fence

Brendan Murphy from Carlow joined the Swans last year.

mattockranger

pearse hanley ;)

mayo and Brisbane lions!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

mattockranger

in the end tuohy i think was not up to standard, and the scouts lost interest in him.
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: orangeman on December 03, 2008, 01:53:00 PM
Harte urges GAA to cut AFL ties
03 December 2008

Mickey Harte has reiterated his call for the GAA to immediately sever its links with the AFL after it was revealed that 11 of the 12 international players now listed by Australian Rules clubs are Irish.

The exception is Canada's Michael Pyke, and the Tyrone manager has expressed deep concern at the continued flow of young GAA stars to the AFL.

Four clubs have welcomed aboard new Irish players to their rookie lists - Louth's Brian Donnelly at
Adelaide, Longford's Michael Quinn at Essendon, Conor Meredith from Laois at North Melbourne, and Tyrone minor star Kyle Coney at Sydney Swans.

"We have to combat what's going on and the first step is to cut all official ties with the AFL," Harte said.

"We have no official diplomatic ties with other organisations and we should not be liaising with them while they walk all over us."

Following the success of controversial AFL agent Ricky Nixon's recruitment camps last August, Harte has suggested that the GAA establish academies to nurture rising young stars.

He explained: "We need to create a support mechanism to make it attractive for people to stay at home. Creating education-based academies of our own would give players a support mechanism and give them a lift in their career opportunities rather than taking a gamble."

And pray tell me Michael how exactly stopping the International Rules series will stop any of this?

Will these scouts just forget where Ireland is if we don't play the Australians every November?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Puckoon

Unfortunately I think that even if the GAA were to implement the nurturing academies for players solely in the Gaelic football code - it might even serve to make things worse.

There has never been a higher interest in young gaelic players from the AFL, and I believe it is all coming from the ever increasing standard of quality seen in young players. Where is this coming from? The current nationwide drive to improve youngsters with all sorts of development panels and squads - right the way up to minor level is my answer. Correct me if Im wrong, but I feel the fact is that all counties are producing better footballers/atheletes than in the past and many of them are devloping into youngsters with the stamina, build, and potential to star in the AFL.

No amount of increased training and/or success for underage players will guarantee that they wont leave for the lures of a professional contract in far away fields. There might be one or two, who a la Sean Cavanagh resist the urge - but on the whole, better young gaelic players will only make the pickings for the AFL all the better to chose from and trial. Like it has done in the last number of years.

The GAA cannot compete with the professional set up over there.

Take a star in the AFL - being asked to give up his time every night to present medals and awards? He wouldnt have to ask for 200 quid for the evenings work/time

Take a star in the GAA  - they'd be run out of the country by some for having the cheek to ask!

I dont agree with GAA stars asking money - but when people start to complain about it and the lure of a professional set up is dangled like a carrot infront of some of our young players  - its a bit rich to blame the few who decide to go.

magickingdom

micky hartes ongoing rant against the international rules is tiresome, at this stage how many players have said its one of the highlights of their careers (sean cavanagh put it on a par with an ai) and micky wants to take that away from them. does he want us all dancing at the crossroads while hes at it. why does he not moan about all the players lost to soccer? the gaa has to be competitive with all sports and get players to want to play not force them

Rossfan

Agree 100% with magickingdom.
Mickey is becoming tiresome on this point and as well is talking pure balderdash.
So we stop having anything to do with the AFL .....then what?
The AFL say " oh damn!! we cant sign up any more Irish GAA lads as their top brass dont talk to us any more"

Jasus Micky will you ever re engage your brain before you  let your mouth off on this subject.

Only one thing will stop young lads trying to become Pros in Oz - i.e Football goes Professional and that WON'T be happening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on December 03, 2008, 08:21:46 PM
Only one thing will stop young lads trying to become Pros in Oz - i.e Football goes Professional and that WON'T be happening.

Nail on head - young players want the chance to be professional athletes. Until such time as the GAA provide this players will continue to search professional opportunities in other codes. The amount of ex-Gaelic footballers, or lads simply for a GAA background that play professional rugby is interesting.

thehulk!!

As a leading Irish sporting star said recently - the scouting is the only good thing to ever come out of the gaa, finally there is a bit of output for squandering massive amounts of tax payers money year on year, thank god the rugy and soccer are at least putting this tax payers money to use regardless of the begrudgers