Monaghan v Cavan

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 12, 2008, 11:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Ahh, at last, the one every man,woman,child and dog in the street with a heartbeat has been waiting for. 'The old rivals', 'The great local derby' etc. etc.

I'm really lookin forward to this clash for many reasons. It's a good time for both sides as they're both playing reasonable football which should hopefully produce an interesting duel. I haven't seen Monaghan play under floodlight which I'm also looking forward to, and, it's Kingspan (Breffni) Park..

Could all good Cavan/Monaghan men/women/hermaphrodites throw in their 2cents worth on how they think this one is gonna go.. Would be interested in hearing from any Armagh folk also who have seen Cavan play already in the NFL.

Cavan beat Monaghan in the McKenna cup but I'm not reading into this much, with all due respect Cavan folk.. Donal Keoghan was quoted as saying in a post-match interview 'any day's a good day you beat Monaghan'. I'm hoping he's ingesting a large portion of pie filled with humbleness on Sat night about 9pm...

Homer

Should be a good contest alright and I'd imagine a big crowd will turn out.

I hear Lennon is out for ye which would very good news for us considering the midfield epidemic we're currently in.

As for how it will go, I envisage a repeat of the McKenna cup encounter with Cavan taking a considerable first half lead with Monaghan coming back into it in the second half. Head on the line Cavan to send them dirty mushroom picking farney hoors packing by 2 points.  :)

farniel

Initially I thought this would be comfortable enough for Monaghan but the injury doubts over Lennon and the broken arm Colm Flanagan received at training last Sunday make this game more open than people think. If Lennon plays then Monaghan should win. If he doesn't then the draw would be a nice value bet for this one. Really looking forward to a nice local derby under lights  ;D

cavanmaniac

Don't see us getting anything out of this one to be honest. Monaghan aren't that different from Armagh in terms of their physicality and we always struggle against that sort of opposition with our lightweight running style.

Plus, we're somewhat bereft at midfield where we're not that strong even with first choice players in there, and if Vincent Corey goes in on the square for some high ball jinks, we'll ship scores and possibly goals (unless Miller dons the mask and cape and is having another of his superhero's night out in nets).

Up front we'll be dangerous enough if we get enough ball in and we seem to have good attacking half backs as well, but Monaghan should just edge it. Derbies are great levellers and Cavan generally always seem to get the better of Monaghan for some reason but I don't see it happening this time. It should be a decent match though, it's been a lovely dry week and the pitch will facilitate high speed stuff like we saw in the O'Byrne Cup final, whcih will suit Cavan who are quick and fit but it won't harm Monaghan either.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: farniel on February 12, 2008, 12:35:54 PM
Initially I thought this would be comfortable enough for Monaghan but the injury doubts over Lennon and the broken arm Colm Flanagan received at training last Sunday make this game more open than people think. If Lennon plays then Monaghan should win. If he doesn't then the draw would be a nice value bet for this one. Really looking forward to a nice local derby under lights  ;D

What's the craic with Lennon, has he 'definitely' injured his ankle this time?  ::)

Too bad about Flanagan, I was getting very critical of him but he done welll against Roscommon, for what that's worth. He can sometimes carry the ball into trouble when trying to come out of defense. I say start Damien Freeman and stick McArdle back into the corner. Problem solved! As for mid-field, pull Jap back there with Dick, play Vinny ah CHF if he's to be used as a 'fireman' and play McManus and Woods either side of him.

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 12, 2008, 01:04:57 PM
What's the craic with Lennon, has he 'definitely' injured his ankle this time?  ::)

i reckon it's a ploy - start the rumour every week leading up to a game, lead the opposition into a false sense of optimism, then line him out and watch him go!

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 12, 2008, 12:56:08 PM
and if Vincent Corey goes in on the square for some high ball jinks, we'll ship scores and possibly goals (unless Miller dons the mask and cape and is having another of his superhero's night out in nets).
Don't need Vinny on the square at the minute - with Ronaghan back in the team there's already a big man up front and it worked well against Roscommon.  Keep Vinny at the back, especially if we have an injury gap in there now.

BallyhaiseMan

i cant see us getting much out of this game

The Armagh game masked deficiencies by Armaghs horrible shooting in the first half,
it could have been a hammering .

Unless the Cavan team is reinforced
at Full Back and Midfield and a few more forwards than Martin Reily and Jelly get in on the act,
we arent going to be in it.

timmyot501

Looking forward to the game on Saturday night. Was in Breffnie for the Tyrone McKenna Cup semi-final last year when Monaghan got a hiding. Its a good setting for a night game. Missed this years McKenna cup game against Cavan but again we lost.  Our last victory in Breffnie was against Louth in the qualifiers back in 2005 (only just).  I think we are in good enough shape for February and if Lennon is fit I would be hopeful of victory in a tight game.  Flanagan will be a loss but we have cover (move Vinny back or bring in Damien Freeman and play McArdle in the corner). Lennon is so influential that we could do with him being fit.  Tommy will be watched tighter than in the Rossies game so it may be that we will need to get some scores from elsewhere if we are to succeed.

Maguire01

To be honest, i think Monaghan are more reliant on Eoin Lennon than on Tommy Freeman.  I suppose it's partly due to the fundamental importance of the midfield and the influence of that position on the rest of the team.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 12, 2008, 06:35:07 PM
To be honest, i think Monaghan are more reliant on Eoin Lennon than on Tommy Freeman.  I suppose it's partly due to the fundamental importance of the midfield and the influence of that position on the rest of the team.

Tommy Freeman's more reliant on Eoin Lennon than Eoin Lennon is on Tommy Freeman..

donelli

Considering heading up early for this game.
Any pubs within walking distance of breffni that are considered decent craic for the games??

Homer

The Down fellas seemed impressed with The Breffni Inn last year.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 11, 2007, 11:15:05 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on May 11, 2007, 10:46:18 AM
The breffini inn is always good for matches.

The Breffni Inn is an ideal place for matches. It is the closest pub to Breffni Park, is well laid out, comfy seats and has some nice looking barmaids. It has been recently renovated and is quite modern and classy look now - indeed a haunt fit for the solicitors of Cavan. I believe many a garda has been spotted there in the past. It also got rave reviews in Pub Spy on the Sunday World in times gone by - sure you couldn't go wrong, could you?

BallyhaiseMan

Make sure you have a shower or a bath before you come up lads,

dont want our pubs having a smell of cowsh"te now do we?  ;D

As for the Game,
I love night games in Breffini aswell,

Eoin Lennon being out would be outstanding for us.
we dont have anyone that could play him.

Looking forward to about 5 changes to the Cavan team for Saturday.

Mid Mon

Coming up from Cork for the game can't wait!!!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: donelli on February 13, 2008, 12:51:42 PM
Considering heading up early for this game.
Any pubs within walking distance of breffni that are considered decent craic for the games??

And sure if you don't find a decent pub (quite likely..) and get cold standin about I'm sure the locals will provide you with reasonably priced gourmet soup outside Breffni Park.   ;)