The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

now now umgola can u verify this....

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

fcuksake

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on October 15, 2007, 02:25:42 PM
The boys were on the beer  :)

That was just Sunday, I believe if you stroll down to Raffertys tonight and maybe even 2moro, your sure to rub shoulders with a few green and gold players that turned up for the county final ;D
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

umgolaarmagh

Of course, nothing like a fresh pint on a monday after work :P

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: stew on October 15, 2007, 12:44:17 PM
Why did the Harps not field?????

Unfortunately not enough players turned up to field, Stew. It's a pity, as it would have been the right thing to fulfil the fixture, but there you go - once the draw on Tuesday night made us mathematically safe, the appetite for a trip down to South Armagh was simply not there.

corn02

Which is fair enough in my opinion at this stage.

man in black

I wonder does not fielding happen around crossmaglen much?
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

umgolaarmagh

Rufus,

That wouldnt have happened in our day

:P ;D

corn02

Does not matter man in black, even if they mutually agree to call a game off they pursue the points and the County board give them.

Rufus T Firefly

Harps v Maghery

Harps guaranteed their first division survival, a week ago last Tuesday night, when they played out an entertaining draw with Maghery under the lights at Abbey Park. Indeed, by coincidence, the draw also made Maghery safe from relegation.

Harps opened the scoring with a point from Ebby Toal but a point from the Maghery full forward cancelled this out. Joe Quigley was then unlucky to see his deflected shot hit the post. A bad Maghery kick out saw Ciaran Clifford gather and point, and points quickly followed from Matt Cartmill and Smackers. Maghery had two wides in this period but managed a second point from a close in free. From the kick out, Charlie Vernon fielded, made a brilliant run and fed Joe Quigley for a point. Maghery had the next three attempts for scores, but could only manage the one point. Ciaran Clifford had a bad wide from a free before both sides swapped points – ours a Joe Quigley point after playing a one-two from a free. Joe followed up with a wide from a free from an acute angle but made amends shortly after with a brilliant point from a free out on the left wing. Maghery though were far from finished and in a purple patch scored an excellent point from their number twelve, before a brilliant move up the right wing resulted in a well-taken goal. A point from a free followed before Simon Lennon finished the half with a Harps' wide.

Half time, Harps 0-07, Maghery 1-06.

Harps made three changes at the interval, with Liam McAuley, Ultan Lennon and Fergus McAleavey coming in for Martin Gill, Ciaran Clifford and Kevin Daly. Despite these changes, it was Maghery who opened the scoring with a point from a free. Harpo had a wide before Charlie Vernon scored a brilliant individual point. Harpo had a bad wide from a free and this was punished further when the Maghery number thirteen pointed. Nippy Swift replaced Gerard McDonagh in attack as Harps sought to chase the game. The Maghery keeper then gathered a high ball in, but as he advanced from his line he was dispossessed and Ultan Lennon side footed to the net from close range. This seemed to act as a real spur to Harps and points followed from Nippy and a Joe Quigley free. Yet Maghery were still dominating and managed five wides in a row in this period. Chuckie Morris came in for Joe Quigley and Maghery eventually found their shooting boots, quickly hitting back-to-back points. A high ball into the Harps square was misjudged by the defence and left a Maghery attacker in a one on one with Dingle (Og) Daly, and a goal followed. Maghery had yet another wide before Nippy Swift beat the Maghery cover before expertly finishing to the net. This put the sides level, and despite several efforts from both sides, there was to be no further scoring. At the final whistle both sides appeared relieved to have done enough to secure their own survival.

Final score, Harps 2-10, Maghery 2-10.

The Harps fielded as follows. Johnny Daly, Jungle McKee, Martin Gill (Liam McAuley), Jim Marley, Neil McArdle, Smackers McAnaney 0-1, Kevin Daly (Fergus McAleavey), Charlie Vernon 0-1, Simon Lennon, Ebby Toal 0-1, Harpo McKenna, Joe Quigley 0-4 (0-2 frees)(Chuckie Morris), Matt Cartmill 0-1, Ciaran Clifford 0-1 (Ultan Lennon 1-0) and Gerard McDonagh (Nippy Swift 1-1).   

Redhandfan

Rufus, I presume you had great difficulty keeping a straight face while writing that report of the Harps v Maghery game.  By pure chance, I caught the last ten minutes of the match in question.  I happened to be driving along the main Moy/Armagh road that night and saw the lights coming from Abbey Park.  So, being the great Gael that I am, I went up to see what was going on. 

All I can say is that I will never attend another Armagh club match again if this is what passes for sport.  Both clubs should be ashamed of themselves for taking part in this 'sham fixture'.  It was so blatantly obvious that the two teams were playing for a draw and, worse still, everyone at the ground thought it was hilarious.  I only learned afterwards that both teams required a point for their Division One safety but never in a million years did I think I would actually see such a blatant case of 'match-fixing' in the GAA.  The equalising goal appeared to be pre-rehearsed by the two teams and was greeted with roars of laughter by the so-called Harps Ultras in the stand.  As if that was not bad enough, both sides deliberately missed perfectly good scoring opportunities late in the game, a number of which were absolute 'sitters'.

I honestly thought match-fixing only went on at Irish league soccer matches and never knew it to be a problem in Armagh GAA.  I meant to post earlier on this topic but was far too disgusted to even mention it.  However, with Rufus having the audacity to post a report on this match, I feel it is time people knew the truth about what really happened that night in Abbey Park.  Shame on you all.....

Armagh Cúchulainns

Quote from: Redhandfan on October 21, 2007, 10:11:55 PM
Rufus, I presume you had great difficulty keeping a straight face while writing that report of the Harps v Maghery game.  By pure chance, I caught the last ten minutes of the match in question.  I happened to be driving along the main Moy/Armagh road that night and saw the lights coming from Abbey Park.  So, being the great Gael that I am, I went up to see what was going on. 

All I can say is that I will never attend another Armagh club match again if this is what passes for sport.  Both clubs should be ashamed of themselves for taking part in this 'sham fixture'.  It was so blatantly obvious that the two teams were playing for a draw and, worse still, everyone at the ground thought it was hilarious.  I only learned afterwards that both teams required a point for their Division One safety but never in a million years did I think I would actually see such a blatant case of 'match-fixing' in the GAA.  The equalising goal appeared to be pre-rehearsed by the two teams and was greeted with roars of laughter by the so-called Harps Ultras in the stand.  As if that was not bad enough, both sides deliberately missed perfectly good scoring opportunities late in the game, a number of which were absolute 'sitters'.

I honestly thought match-fixing only went on at Irish league soccer matches and never knew it to be a problem in Armagh GAA.  I meant to post earlier on this topic but was far too disgusted to even mention it.  However, with Rufus having the audacity to post a report on this match, I feel it is time people knew the truth about what really happened that night in Abbey Park.  Shame on you all.....

I wouldnt have put it that way at all rhf, clearly from the report that i read Harps had to bring on the guns to get the last few scores on the board to draw the game for them namely, Nippy Swift, Chuckie Morris, Ultan Lennon, putting 2-1 between them over and under the bar.

Also
why would the best referee (imo) in Co. Armagh travel all the miles from near Crossmaglen to Armagh referee a 'fixed game'?
why was there a gate and half time draw taken, sure had the match been pre-planned and fixed who would have bothered paying into it?
Its all about the Hurling.

pintsofguinness

I'd hardly think yous told the ref the game was fixed?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Think rhf should keep his libelous nonsense for the angry pages of the Irish News :)