www.gaaradio.com

Started by HowdyDoody, February 03, 2008, 04:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowdyDoody

Just got this e-mail..interesting

GAA Radio is a brand new service which aims to provide live commentaries from club games all across the globe. We are the pioneers of innovative new technology, which enables recording and broadcasting of audio commentaries from a simple mobile phone. If you would like your club's games broadcast on the Internet, then all you need to do is identify someone to play the role of commentator (perhaps your PRO). We're not looking for professional commentators. If the person can talk a bit, and has a reasonable knowledge of your club, then they're already well qualified. Remember, listeners are just interested in following the games, in cases where they can't attend in person; they aren't expecting to hear Michael O Muircheartaigh! If you know anyone who would be interested in commentating on behalf of your club, please ask them to take a look on our website for details. If you'd like to find out more, please visit us at http://www.gaaradio.com... If you're no longer involved with the club, we'd be most grateful if you could forward this email onto your current club secretary. Please don't hesitate to contact us at this email address, if you have any questions or require further information. We hope your club will enjoy the additional exposure it receives on GAA Radio. Le meas, Padraig, GAA Radio.http://www.gaaradio.com...

ziggysego

Got that too ;)

Definately does sound like an interesting idea. Couldn't find anything on the Internet about a set-up cost or running cost.
Testing Accessibility

HowdyDoody

Becoming a GAA Radio Reporter couldn't be easier. All you need to do is Register, and get yourself one of the approved mobile phones and you're ready to go (as litle as €20 will get you up and running).

We're not looking for professionals! If you can talk a bit, and you have a reasonable knowledge of your local club scene, then you're already well qualified. Remember, listeners are just interested in following the games, in cases where they can't attend in person; they aren't expecting to hear Michael O Muircheartaigh!

You'll get 50% of the subscription fee, each time a listener tunes into one of your games. You're free to take on local advertisers to cover the cost of purchasing your phone, and any data costs you encur if you decide to cover live games. You'll also get a 50% referral fee each time you refer a banner advertiser to GAA Radio.

We'll supply you with the GAA Radio Reporter mobile application free of charge. This application runs on your phone and records your game commentary. In the case of live games, the application transfers the audio to a streaming server so that listeners can hear it live on the web. We automatically notify listeners (via email) when you schedule a game so they don't have to check the website for upcoming games.

As an added bonus, you'll get FREE access to any other game covered on GAA Radio, when you become certifed*

Go a head and register. It could be the start of your broadcasting career! If not, at the very least you'll make a few bob and provide a great service to people who follow your local GAA scene, especially those away from home and those you can't get to games, for other reasons. Register as a Reporter and get started today.

Welcome to GAA Radio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* You become certified for a game type soon as you record your first game of that type (i.e. Live or Delayed Live). You'll need to record a minimum of 5 games over a season to maintain your certified status into the next season.

ziggysego

That's cool that you can take on your own advertisers.

Still seems a little too good to be true though.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

was having a look at it and I think it will cost you a fortune on your mobile if you do a live game
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

OakLeaf

Quote from: Square Ball on February 03, 2008, 08:36:15 PM
was having a look at it and I think it will cost you a fortune on your mobile if you do a live game

Ah, I didn't expect the site to make it onto this board so quickly!

Anyway, let me clear up the questions about the costs. You get a data package from O2 that costs £17 (including VAT) per month. That will let you broadcast 5 live games each month so its about £3.40 per game  (assuming 75 minutes audio each game). You can also take out cheaper pacakages that will give you less games, so you could do a mixture of Live and Delayed Live.

The technology does not use the voice network. It uses the data network so that's why its relatively cheap.

You're welcome to take on local advertisers to cover the costs of the data contract. It shouldn't be too hard to russle up 4 advertisers at £50 a piece for the year so you should only be out the price of the phone (about £20 on eBay .. less if you get a used phone).

If you're recording a Delayed Live game then your total costs for the year are the price of the phone.

If anyone has any questions please PM me. Thanks.

clarshack

it's a great idea. the only problem will be county boards (especially tyrone) come club championship time. they like to be in control and only allow their own people to broadcast games. in the 2000 championship game between coalisland and brackaville, live commentary was streamed on the internet but I think the county board put a stop to any more being done.

OakLeaf

Quote from: clarshack on February 04, 2008, 10:07:28 AM
it's a great idea. the only problem will be county boards (especially tyrone) come club championship time. they like to be in control and only allow their own people to broadcast games. in the 2000 championship game between coalisland and brackaville, live commentary was streamed on the internet but I think the county board put a stop to any more being done.

I don't expect that it will be all smooth with the county boards and Championship games.

We'll have to deal with those problems as they arise. League games shouldn't be a problem though.

Hardy

How can they stop somebody standing on the bank and using his* mobile? Or am I misunderstanding?

*Sorry - of course that should be his/her.

ziggysego

Quote from: OakLeaf on February 04, 2008, 09:32:03 AM
You get a data package from O2 that costs £17 (including VAT) per month. That will let you broadcast 5 live games each month so its about £3.40 per game  (assuming 75 minutes audio each game). You can also take out cheaper pacakages that will give you less games, so you could do a mixture of Live and Delayed Live.

What about Vodafone? The O2 reception in Greencastle is terrible. Practically non-existance.
Testing Accessibility

OakLeaf

Quote from: ziggysego on February 04, 2008, 10:38:45 AM
Quote from: OakLeaf on February 04, 2008, 09:32:03 AM
You get a data package from O2 that costs £17 (including VAT) per month. That will let you broadcast 5 live games each month so its about £3.40 per game  (assuming 75 minutes audio each game). You can also take out cheaper pacakages that will give you less games, so you could do a mixture of Live and Delayed Live.

What about Vodafone? The O2 reception in Greencastle is terrible. Practically non-existance.

I haven't checked out Vodafone in a while because at the time they didn't do the data only contract and their voice & data contract was quite expensive. That was about a year ago so things may have changed. I'll try and find out about that this week. Can you PM me your email address and I'll let you know.

David McKeown

Great idea although I dont think it would be overally popular in some of the smaller clubs, especially if you have a tool of a pro like me trying to do the commentary.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

OakLeaf

Quote from: David McKeown on February 04, 2008, 11:23:17 AM
Great idea although I dont think it would be overally popular in some of the smaller clubs, especially if you have a tool of a pro like me trying to do the commentary.

Agh now lad don't be putting yourself down. You could be the next Jimmy Magee!

Smaller clubs might be better to stick with the Delayed Live method as it'll only cost the price of the phone (about 20 euro).

David McKeown

Quote from: OakLeaf on February 04, 2008, 12:39:22 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 04, 2008, 11:23:17 AM

Agh now lad don't be putting yourself down. You could be the next Jimmy Magee!

Thats what I am worried about
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Square Ball

I would love to do it for my club, but the thought of me getting carried away and using the full range of words that any broadcasters dont want to hear wouldnt be worth it.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid