Monaghan NFL 2008 Campaign

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 23, 2008, 02:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

McEnaney names Monaghan panel

The panel is: Shane Duffy, Padraig McBennett, Dessie Mone, John Paul Mone, Conor McManus, Paul McGuigan, Vincent Corey, Dermot McArdle, Ciaran Hanratty, Donal Morgan, Darren Hughes, Daniel McNally, Gary McQuaid, Raymond Ronaghan, Damien Freeman (capt.), Tomas Freeman, Eoin Lennon, Stephen Fitzpatrick, Owen Duffy, Colm Flanagan, Dick Clerkin, Shane Smith, Neil McAdam, Stephen Gollogly, Gary McEnaney, Rory Woods, Seamus Markey, Brendan McKenna, Shane Mulligan, Paul Finlay.

What does the Farnies (or indeed anyone else) think of this selection? No big surprises here really given the football I've seen this year. Looks to have a bit more strength and depth about it. If we're gonna challenge for the Ulster Championship however there's a few guys in there who'll need battle hardening..

Maguire01

I can't really see Banty's starting 15 changing much from last year.  I think we need to make sure we have at least 20-22 players getting regular gametime so that we don't end up at the business end of the championship giving some players their first real run out.

I still don't think we've enough on the bench.  Hugh McElroy seems to have opted out, which is a pity as he's pretty decent.

orangeman

I see Ciaran Hughes dropped off the panel - is he not a very good player ?

bingobus

Quote from: orangeman on January 23, 2008, 10:24:34 PM
I see Ciaran Hughes dropped off the panel - is he not a very good player ?

Good player but he prob suffered last year from not getting enough games. Spent most of the summer sitting on bench and didn;t look like getting a look in. Hopefully a good run with the club this year will see fulfill the potential he has.

I hear that the team are going away for the weekend. However they are heading to the Nuremore in Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan for their weekend away. Hope they find it alright!! Waste of money if you ask me, they could stay in their own beds and have booked the hotels facilities for whatever they do on these trips without the expense of putting up about 35 men in a hotel on their own doorstep in the tail end of January.

Louth Exile

Any of you think that Conor Mc Manus my break through onto the team? I know he has got a few runs before (and in the opinion of some should have come on in certain games in 2007). I was very impressed with him in the Monaghan final
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Louth Exile on January 24, 2008, 11:22:58 AM
Any of you think that Conor Mc Manus my break through onto the team? I know he has got a few runs before (and in the opinion of some should have come on in certain games in 2007). I was very impressed with him in the Monaghan final

He'll definitely get plenty of league play I reckon and then who knows. He's a quality player, my only concern being that he's a bit light. I thought last year was a bit early for him but think the time is right now. Seen him play for Clontibret and he's a great asset.

As for Paul Meegan, apparently he's injured and hence not even on panel, otherwise I'd have him ahead of McNally, bit young and a bit light for the tough league campaign that lies ahead..

As for (Toome's/Blayney's) 'insert club here' Ciaran Hughes, he looked well off the pace at the start of this year and this does beg the question. Why have a 30 man panel when 10-12 of them are not gonna see first team play this year? Surely for their own personal development they'd be better off playin with their clubs?

Maguire01

Quote from: Louth Exile on January 24, 2008, 11:22:58 AM

Loads of potenial in my opinion. Was great in the county final.  He's very small, but a decent player and still very young. In the next year or two i reckon he'll be a regular on the starting 15.

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on January 24, 2008, 11:16:33 AM
Going to the Nuremore is a bit pointless alright.

I agree about Toome's Young Nudie, a year's club football could do him the world of good.

I thing McNally is a bit young, in terms of this year would Paul Meegan not be a better option?

He may see the Toome pitch from his house but thats as close as he'll get  ;D  ;D

I see you won a few quid in the Toome lucky dip...must have the flights paid for to Cork by now.

Meegan injured apparently.

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on January 24, 2008, 03:21:53 PM
Quote from: bingobus on January 24, 2008, 02:07:37 PM

He may see the Toome pitch from his house but thats as close as he'll get  ;D  ;D

I see you won a few quid in the Toome lucky dip...must have the flights paid for to Cork by now.

Meegan injured apparently.

I forgot about that - Meegan is out injured. The prodigal son was cut as well I see.

I can see this being a big year for McManus, he was excellent in the county final.

McManus destroys us everytime we play them be it Senior or even U21 last year. He never stops running and can take a score even any space at all.

Who is the prodigal son?

GrandMasterFlash

Any man any news on Eoin Lennon's injury? good article about him in yesterday's Irish News. He's a gentleman!

timmyot501

Conor McManus will get plenty of chances during the league this season. If Lennon is out for a few games then Finlay will play midfield which will leave a wing-half forward position vacant and McManus is in pole position to fill it.  Even if Lennon is fit McManus may push for a place in the forwards anyway.  I'd expect Paul McGuigan to get some runouts too maybe in the number 7 shirt and then McArdle and Flanagan will compete for the corner back (though Flanagan may be at full-back but I'd go with JP Mone there)

League team assuming Lennon and Duffy are out
                    McBennett
D Mone          JP Mone          C Flanagan / McArdle
D Freeman     G McQuaid        P McGuigan / McArdle
         D Clerkin        P Finlay
C McManus      R Woods         S Gollogly
R Ronaghan     V Corey          T Freeman

Maguire01

Quote from: timmyot501 on January 29, 2008, 10:30:46 AM
League team assuming Lennon and Duffy are out

What's up with Duffy?

Louth Exile

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on January 29, 2008, 08:24:07 AM
Any man any news on Eoin Lennon's injury? good article about him in yesterday's Irish News. He's a gentleman!

They don't know at the moment, could be a couple of weeks, but not sure
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

Can anyone post the article on Lennon?
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015