Poots the Gael

Started by An Fear Rua, January 17, 2008, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Quote from: passedit on January 17, 2008, 12:11:41 PM
In fairness lads while there's a fair bit to go yet, a long road has been travelled. Credit where credit is due, people can say a lot things, better to judge them by what they do.

Point accepted passedit. I suppose like everything else these things take time

Donagh

Quote from: nifan on January 17, 2008, 12:06:06 PM
well they should
did he mentin the attacks on gaa premises at all - he should have called on them to be given up as well

Ahh away an feck would you... How in the name of fcuk can a "community" (sic) be held responsible for the actions of a few headbangers?

Besides the fact that the attacks on the halls could just as easily be a few disgruntled individuals the point is that Poots is linking the GAA to the Orange Order and clearly when Orange halls are being attacked it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when that link is made someone is going to take it upon themselves to attack GAA halls.

Donagh

Quote from: An Fear Rua on January 17, 2008, 12:12:24 PM
which radio station, im itching to hear this now,

he changes from "so it becomes an organisation more exclusively used for sport" to not a sporting organisation in 24 hours??

More exclusively can be interpreted in many ways, not just the usual assumptions

The Fat Boy Show on Radio Ulster

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Donagh on January 17, 2008, 12:19:52 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on January 17, 2008, 12:12:24 PM
which radio station, im itching to hear this now,

he changes from "so it becomes an organisation more exclusively used for sport" to not a sporting organisation in 24 hours??

More exclusively can be interpreted in many ways, not just the usual assumptions

The Fat Boy Show on Radio Ulster

Cheers, its not up yet, but should be later.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nolan/listenagain/
Its Grim up North

Smiler An Dun

Seamus McKee interviewed him on Good Morning Ulster this morning as well.  Poots was trying to be a smart arse more than anything.  He was questioned about attending Croke Park in the future and said he 'll be there pretty soon but it is to watch Rugby.  It was good to see him in Newry last night, and the statement he made then was very welcome (but then that was probably to do with the surroundings he was in).  His interview this morning sounded like it came from his own home.

Orior

Fair play to Pootsie for going. You cant expect a complete mind set change overnight, so he will have to play to his own audience for a while yet.

Would I go into Windsor Pairc ten minutes late so as to miss the GSTQ? No way - the build up of tension before any match is a great. 
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Fear Rua

Poots interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/ulster/aod.shtml?ulster/gmu_thu

56 mins is his comments on the game

1hr 48 mins - the interview
Its Grim up North

nifan

Quote from: Donagh on January 17, 2008, 12:19:02 PM
Ahh away an feck would you... How in the name of fcuk can a "community" (sic) be held responsible for the actions of a few headbangers?

Besides the fact that the attacks on the halls could just as easily be a few disgruntled individuals the point is that Poots is linking the GAA to the Orange Order and clearly when Orange halls are being attacked it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when that link is made someone is going to take it upon themselves to attack GAA halls.

I simply agree that they should, though i dont agree with poots bringing it into this issue.
My point was that surely the attacks on GAA facilities would have been more relevent to highlight at that time.

As for "How in the name of fcuk can a "community" (sic) be held responsible for the actions of a few headbangers?" i dont believe i said that, i dont feel responsible for the people who come from my area, but if i knew they where going to attack the locall gaa facilities id certainly report it.

Gnevin

Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: nifan on January 17, 2008, 12:06:06 PM
well they should
did he mentin the attacks on gaa premises at all - he should have called on them to be given up as well
Yes said somelike like attacks on orange lodges and a gaa club , said nationalist should give up does doing the attacks and then when questioned by the interviewer he said both community's should be allowed to enjoy there cultures
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

5 Sams

Poots and the Fat Boy....about 1hr 05mins into the show.....oh and ex Antrim midfielder Paul McErlean is on as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/ulster.shtml
The Aristocrat Years

Rav67

Quote from: Mickey Linden on January 17, 2008, 12:08:55 PM
I understand the sentiments behind it but after his comments on radio this morning claiming the gaa was not a sporting organisation the gaa should leave it at that instead of inviting him to croker. Surely his comments on the radio this morning will do nothing to enhance the relationship between the gaa and DUPer's

We can hardly complain about him saying that it isn't just a sporting organisation when there is a debate on the GAA section of this board where most people, including myself, argue that GAA is more than just a sporting organisation and should remain so.

Donagh

Of course it is more than a sporting organisation, but it is not a "cultural" organisation in the manner of the Orange Order as Poots would have people believe i.e. no one is banned from the GAA on grounds of their religion or politics and they don't march around the streets thousands of times every year celebrating some ancient skirmish.

An Fear Rua

The GAA is more than just a sporting organisation, always was, always will be. Unless for example the Irish language is a sport?

What Id like to ask mr Poots is why he feels that the GAA should be an exclusively sporting organisation, and drop all the rest of its pursuits?
Its Grim up North

passedit

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 17, 2008, 03:22:07 PM
Poots and the Fat Boy....about 1hr 05mins into the show.....oh and ex Antrim midfielder Paul McErlean is on as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/ulster.shtml

Just listened to it there. Measured performance from Poots. Like I said lads, long road travelled a bit to go yet. Put yourselves in his shoes for a minute.
Don't Panic