A tribute to Offaly Hurling

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 11, 2008, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

No doubt Dempsey is doing a good job in Rochfortbridge, but with the Rhode club providing a significant number of underage players, he does have a good basis.

And in fairness to the Offaly schools, the likes of Saint Sarans in Ferbane turned out it's fair share of good footballers, as did Ard Scoill Chiaran in Clara and Tullamore CBS.

Lone Shark

More relevantly, in all of the footballing area of Offaly, there isn't a single school that draws on a natural catchment area where they get outside help (barring two Kildare lads on Edenderry's team last year I think). On the other hand lads from Doon, Ballycumber, Clara and Tubber all go to Moate, Rhode and Croghan lads go to Rochfortbridge, around five clubs at least send their pupils to Coláiste Íosagáin in Portarlington, and all that in a county that still has as many vocational schools as secondary.

Must try harder there MH. 

Croí na hÉireann

Don't think Lukie is managing any of de teams in the Bridge now, his paymasters in Slasherland wouldn't be too happy if he was... He did put in some effort down through the years though...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

turk

Lads, AZ mentioned Dalystown there - is this a club itself or would it just be part of Ballinagore club? or Malachys?

AZOffaly

Dalystown club is called Saint Brigids. They would draw on lads from St. Mary's Rochfortbridge and Tyrellspass for the hurling. St. Malachy's is the football club in Castletown, Castletown Geogheghan is the hurling club. I think the Ballinagore lads play with Castletown in the hurling. Not sure though, maybe they play with Brigids.

My father's club was St. Brigids. He's from Dalystown. They won a power of Westmeath senior titles in the late 60s early 70s.

Croí na hÉireann

Brigids would draw on Milltownpass as well (the ones that can remember which end to hold the hurl at anyway). They alternate their matches between the 3 pitches last I heard

turk

thanks for the info lads

Brigids - are they still senior?

AZOffaly

I think they are intermediate now.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2008, 01:09:10 PM
I think they are intermediate now.

Correct, but they're close to getting back to senior

Billys Boots

Quotehis paymasters in Slasherland wouldn't be too happy if he was

What are ye on about? - Dempsey doesn't manage Slashers.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

turk

AZOffaly

I think they alternate between 3 pitches at this stage, Rochfortbridge, Tyrellsapass and Milltown? They used to have their own pitch, but there was very little in the way of facilities there. I'm not sure if they still have it.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 19, 2008, 01:58:48 PM
Quotehis paymasters in Slasherland wouldn't be too happy if he was

What are ye on about? - Dempsey doesn't manage Slashers.

Billy, this is a hurling thread, please leave via the nearest exit  :P

AFAIK they do indeed alternate between the 3 pitches.

Billys Boots

QuoteBilly, this is a hurling thread, please leave via the nearest exit.

Slashers hurlers play (or did until recently) in the Eastlongford League, or didn't you know that Croí?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 21, 2008, 01:00:29 PM
QuoteBilly, this is a hurling thread, please leave via the nearest exit.

Slashers hurlers play (or did until recently) in the Eastlongford League, or didn't you know that Croí?

Jaysus, GAA.ie has yous down in Roinn 3 of the NHL, someone's made a balls somewhere, maybe it was just ur local rag paper...