Orlando Incident, louth player on LMFM (louth gaa radio station) this morning

Started by dundalk2007, January 09, 2008, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Catch

dundalk2007

yeah i presume so, when its been on the airwaves, dont seee any harm in it been put on a discusssion board.

AZOffaly

Were players named on the radio? I still think ye should wait until it's printed in the public domain, online in one of the papers would do I'd say. If the players weren't named, then we need to be very careful about what's posted. No references to clubs, occupations, age etc.

It's a litigator's world.

his holiness nb

I'd be very careful at the moment until you get the ok from the mods, all Dundalk2007s previous posts on the subject have been deleted.

If its in the news then I presume its "out" but wouldnt take any chances, yet.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Dundalk2007, care to comment on Louths new players coming through for 2008 and the teams overall prospects?
Ask me holy bollix

Gaaboardmod3

Hi lads,

It's generally just use a level of common sense. You are all aware that websites, especially discussion boards can and do get sued for libellous material posted on them by people who have no connection to the site, other than as posters. Very commonly those sites are shut down as a 'settlement' because the users can't stump to pay for a lawsuit.

As such the rule of thumb generally would be never to mention names unless it (the name) has been mentioned in an official press story on the media, and even then be careful to make sure it's alleged if it's still just an allegation.

Just as important as not mentioning the name is not to give obvious clues as to the identity of the person. For example there's no point not saying Mick O'Dwyer if you say 'a 70 year old hotellier from Waterville who's currently coaching in Wicklow'.

Also, avoid sensationalist or overly abusive posts, or linking the person with other unproven allegations. A good example of this was in the the Oisin McConville thread. Oisin himself is open about his gambling, so even sarcastic or critical (not abusive) posts are ok there in discussing that topic. However, some people expanded on those discussions because of personal animosity towards McConville, and started dragging in other allegations about his personal life. These were edited and warnings given out.

Really, it boils down to this. Don't post anything that would get you, yourself, or the gaaboard into trouble legally if the person became aware of the posts. Moderators will try to keep an eye on posts like that, and several board users report dodgy posts as well, which helps, but it's much better if people just had a quick think about what they are posting from the perspective I mentioned.

In this particular case, it sounds as if the incident was mentioned on the radio in Louth, so I would think it is grand to talk about the alleged incident, but in general terms. No names, everything is an allegation, etc. etc.

If it appears in the print media, then it is fine to name the player(s) involved, as long as you say something like 'according to the indo/herald/times/ etc'.

Hope that helps.

High Catch

mattockranger

nothing too serious
big whoha over nothing!
too boys drunk and messing!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Uladh

Bensars

Why is there a determined effort to get this story out ?

Things like this happen all the time, its the nature of the beast, having 30 odd competitve fellas together.

It seems to me thats theres a bit of an agenda here, when someone registers to specifically post this.

Cant see what all the fuss is about ?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Bensars on January 09, 2008, 10:26:15 AM
Why is there a determined effort to get this story out ?

Things like this happen all the time, its the nature of the beast, having 30 odd competitve fellas together.

It seems to me thats theres a bit of an agenda here, when someone registers to specifically post this.

Cant see what all the fuss is about ?

what did jack o'connor say "so what if the lads are throwing skelps at each other"
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001