Wishlist for gaa.ie

Started by The squinted eye, January 04, 2008, 02:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The squinted eye

Thought this might be interesting with what we can come up with for the gaa website

My wish List

Newsletters from the association
A detailed and reliable fixtures and results section
More pictures in the site - ladiesgaelic.ie has thousands of them
Maybe some interactive pages - Online All-stars team - Quizzes etc
Some podcasts of the matches - even old ones from the archive (or is that RTE's baby if they own the rights)
Pages faster to load - site is way too slow
Text message alerts for major news

Bogball XV

latest scores would be good too, I can't understand why the gaa feel that it should be up to RTE etc to inform the public of the details of their games.  They should also have round-ups of club action in each county every week, it wouldn't be too hard, they could ask each county administrator to compile a couple of paragraphs on the ongoings within the county and email it in weekly.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 04, 2008, 02:39:08 PM
latest scores would be good too, I can't understand why the gaa feel that it should be up to RTE etc to inform the public of the details of their games.  They should also have round-ups of club action in each county every week, it wouldn't be too hard, they could ask each county administrator to compile a couple of paragraphs on the ongoings within the county and email it in weekly.

You mean like in Tyrone Bogball?

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2008, 12:23:25 AM
LIVE UPDATES !!!
03 Jan 2008
Tyrone v UUJ Sunday 6th January 2008

There will be LIVE UPDATES from the first round of the Dr McKenna Cup match here on Sunday from 1.30pm.

Tyrone Team -  J Devine, F O'Neill, C McCarron, M Swift, D Harte, C Gourley, D Carlin, C Martin, T McGuigan, D Hands, O Mulligan, G Reilly, K McNally, S O'Neill, E McGinley

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=494

Bogball XV

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2008, 02:41:47 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on January 04, 2008, 02:39:08 PM

You mean like in Tyrone Bogball?

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2008, 12:23:25 AM
LIVE UPDATES !!!
03 Jan 2008
Tyrone v UUJ Sunday 6th January 2008

There will be LIVE UPDATES from the first round of the Dr McKenna Cup match here on Sunday from 1.30pm.

Tyrone Team -  J Devine, F O'Neill, C McCarron, M Swift, D Harte, C Gourley, D Carlin, C Martin, T McGuigan, D Hands, O Mulligan, G Reilly, K McNally, S O'Neill, E McGinley

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=494
that's pretty impressive, is the match on tg4 though? 

never kickt a ball

No. It isn't on TG4. Easy enough achieved though.

Bogball XV

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2008, 03:01:14 PM
No. It isn't on TG4. Easy enough achieved though.
I know, so easy, you'd think the gaa would have done it years ago - it's a joke really.

Zulu

On the NFL website all the teams are across the top of the home page you just click on the icon and you get onto their respective 'sites'. Could the GAA not do that? Like some lads have already metioned you should be able to get the scores from the club scene and this would seem like an easy way to direct you to the county you want. Also more and better coaching tips and information would be nice, both Derry and Louth GAA websites have some good stuff, but the GAA could ask top coaches past and present to compile drills and conditioned games for coaches and post them up in a coaching corner with new ones each week.

aontroim

Antrim website started doing live updates last summer for the c;ship games;

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=508

orangeman

GAA1 - FULL TIME GAA CHANNEL

magickingdom

i love to see a gaa website that brought all the gaa websites together! aka bigfotty.com for aussie rules. we have gaaboard.com and then all the county sites are all over the place, if they were in one spot we'd have a far better discussion board set up. a simple example is the kerry fans site, there are probably no more than 6-7 kerry supporters who post here yet there are some great posters on the kerry site who dont come near here. same for killkenny/cork/dubs/tyrone etc. if someone could set up a gaa discussion site that got all the sites together it would be the 'must' visit site for ireland imo..

45GoneShort

If you want to see how a county or national website should be run then you should have a look at leitrimgaa.ie
Some of the features they have include
Wapsite - latest scores of local club championship games, results and fixtures of leagues games straight away after they come out
Match Tracker - Text commentary of championship games
Podcasts - All the latest news in a podcast
Photo Library - updated every week with all county games covered with most club championsip games also covered

This is how a website should be run

Doire abú

I would love to see a site where stats and figures are kept for all intercounty players (e.g. Championships games played, points scored, honours etc for each player).

Nothing seems to exist at the moment, gap in the market?

Hardy

I've just looked in on gaa.ie to see what time the Meath-UCD O'Byrne cup match is at. In the fixtures section it says "No Fixtures This Week". All the matches in the O'Byrne Cup, McKenna Cup, Connacht Leagues etc. must have been called off then? Not to mention the hundreds of club matches up and down the country.

Maybe it's the weather.