New York

Started by illdecide, January 04, 2008, 10:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Lads i have 2 sisters going to New York next week for 5 days (with their partners/husbands before there are any smart remarks) and they asked me to see if any of you guys have info for them on where to go and where not to go. They intend going to Empire state building, statue of liberty, ground zero etc. But they havent a clue about restaurants and bars/clubs. Does anyone know any good ones for late 30's, good food, good music etc...They are also going to try to go to the Comedy Store/Comic Strip, has anyone been??
Any tips would be most welcome

Thanks
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

5 Sams

Heganboy's yer man for that sort of info....I'm sure he'll be along shortly...if not try PM'ing him.
The Aristocrat Years

john mcgill

McSorley's Ale House is worth a look.  Pete's Tavern is good for a reasonably priced meal. Go to Gramercy Park hotel for a drink and celebrity spot.  Oyster Bar in Grand Central is trendy.  For a great steak Peter Lugers in Brooklyn.  Carnegie deli for the sandwich of a lifetime.
Ellis Island is a great place to visit and you can look up your ancestors who may have passed thru there.  Central Line boat trip is essential for anyone on their first visit.
St Patrick's on 5th Ave and sign the visitors' book.
I'm sure I'll think of other places.

nifan

What type of places do they like?

If they like the trendier bars the meatpacking district is the place to go  - theres plenty of restaurants and bars in the area.
It is roughly between 12th street and 16th street and 8th and 11th avenue.

nifan

Also ive found  http://newyork.citysearch.com/ a good site for looking for stuff when im staying there, there are other similar sites about also.

illdecide

Thats the stuff lads keep her lit ;)

Thanks for your help
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

take_yer_points

I'm over for the week now at the end of the month as well.

We were over last year and used a bar called Emmetts on 6th Avenue (I think) as the local for a few each time before heading on anywhere. Mostly Irish staff so they were actually good for telling us where to go. and what to do.

There's a club called China that we went to and it was good. Plenty of choice of bars. Went up to Woodside in Queens for a few drinks and to catch some football and had a great day in a bar called the starting gate (it was the day Cyprus beat Ireland in the Euro qualifiers!) - had a good band on that night and all. And the beer's a lot cheaper out there than it is in Manhattan.

For the girls (and sorry to sound like a woman here), tell them to go to the Abercrombie and Fitch store on 5th Avenue. Think they might enjoy it - in fact - so will the husbands - you wanna see the girls working in that place! all like models!

J70

The Starting Gate is a good wee spot for a match. I used to go there quite a bit, before I discovered myp2p and Setanta Broadband started broadcasting online matches in North America.

Puckoon

Smith and Wolenskys steak house. 49th street and 3rd Avenue

http://www.smithandwollensky.com/new_york.htm

john mcgill

Puckoon I've eaten in S&M and I think its not a patch on Peter Lugers or for that matter Gallaghers or Ben & Jacks www.benandjackssteakhouse.com
Illdecide your folks might like the Rainbow Rooms in midtown, food OK, but great dancing spot with revolving floor.
Tavern on the Green is another place to see and be seen, book early.  Food just OK
www.tavernonthegreen.com

Hardy

The New York lads here are good at that sort of advice, but if you're interested I put together a few pages for the Mrs and her mates who went a few weeks ago - places to eat, things to do, even places to shop as well as basic stuff about how to get on in NYC - subways, taxis, tipping, etc. If you want it, PM me.

Also, for anyone looking for a place to stay, the reports back on the Washington Square Hotel (on the corner of Washington Square, strangely), are excellent.

red hander

I'm no expert as I was only in New York for three days in June 2006 but I absolutely loved the place... Manhattan is coming down with bars/restaurants and is well worth a dander round, but tell them to get a taxi into Greenwich Village ... the cosmopolitan atmosphere and the amount of different (African, European, Asian, Middle-Eastern etc) places to eat and drink was totally mindblowing...

passedit

Try last years thread as well.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=572.45

i'd have said Macy's was a must for the ladies.
Don't Panic

Puckoon

Quote from: john mcgill on January 04, 2008, 04:12:17 PM
Puckoon I've eaten in S&M and I think its not a patch on Peter Lugers or for that matter Gallaghers or Ben & Jacks www.benandjackssteakhouse.com
Illdecide your folks might like the Rainbow Rooms in midtown, food OK, but great dancing spot with revolving floor.
Tavern on the Green is another place to see and be seen, book early.  Food just OK
www.tavernonthegreen.com

I cant cross compare but any time Ive been in S&M its been top drawer. I even took a taxi in and out of JFK to have lunch there (albeit my dad had left his credit card behind the bar for me and the wife to have a free lunch). A family friend is the wine manager.

new devil

Thats your man from beragh puckoon?? Tell them to try uncle jacks steak house 33rd & 8th ave..IL get back on later and drop another few places to go