Thomas Davis Lose

Started by dublinfella, December 14, 2007, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

QuoteTake what you like out of the whole post is it? Nice work my laddy!

"We are Rovers" go look it up and read it kid, then come back with your straight facts!

What's that supposed to mean, you were asked a question and you said they deserved a government funded stadium because they were a successful team. Is that your position? I can only presume that "We are Rovers" is a book, might I suggest to you that you check out more than one view before deciding on what the truth is. By it's title I'd say the book is very much a SR favoured view.

TORGAEL

As i said, a complete waste of time trying to have a reasoned discussion with someone who has no reason. Dimitri, your attitude will obviously take you far in life.....good luck.

dublinfella

Quote from: tram on December 15, 2007, 01:25:47 AM
There's something that sticks in the back of my mind about the EU taking a very dim view of governments and other public bodies subsidising private companies to a significant extent. There's been two cases, one in Germany and another in Denmark, where there were breaches of EC Treaty State Aid rules. Dunno about the final outcome in Germany, but in Denmark a commercial broadcaster was told to pay back to the government €100 million.
[/quote

So all the Italian, French, Greek, German, Dutch, English municipal stadia are illegal?

Would the GAA grant aided stadia not also be illegal to?

Weak stuff.

Turlough O Carolan

Does this court decision change anything about the world we know?

Bertie still loves ManU
Rovers sold their home at Milltown and their players once had to jump over horse fences at the RDS to advance on the opposition goal
Never has a gov treated the GAA more cynically, but most of the supporters will still haul the auld bucks off to vote for Fianna Fail in the next general election

Nothing new there then.

neilthemac

Quotethat they lost their ground under unfortunate circumstances

they sold their ground to the highest bidder. the directors high tailed it with the cash.

magickingdom

Quote from: Dimitri on December 14, 2007, 10:18:06 PM
Lads, I'm a League Of Ireland fan, and in all fiernace, ye seem to me to be acting liek a right bunch of ignorant ******** like!!! "Oh i don't think Shamrock rovers deserve a new gound..." Why the bloody hell not? eh? They deserve way more than some ***** little GAA club out in the middle of nowhere... Come on, open your eyes, or are ye all still bigots towards the, er, "foreign game"?! ::)

ha ha that a laugh :D the loi two biggest problems are 1) its useless boring shite 2) most irish soccer fans support the 'foreign' game ie liverpoor/man u etc

dublinfella

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on December 15, 2007, 04:06:31 AM
Does this court decision change anything about the world we know?

Bertie still loves ManU
Rovers sold their home at Milltown and their players once had to jump over horse fences at the RDS to advance on the opposition goal
Never has a gov treated the GAA more cynically, but most of the supporters will still haul the auld bucks off to vote for Fianna Fail in the next general election

Nothing new there then.

How did the Govt treat the GAA 'cynically'? they said no to an unreasonable request and explained why. hardly their fault TD refused to listen and started banning Govt ministers from the clubhouse.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: dublinfella on December 15, 2007, 02:39:32 AM
So all the Italian, French, Greek, German, Dutch, English municipal stadia are illegal?

Weak stuff.

Are they national stadiums?

Are those grounds open for all the community to use?

Because neither is the case here.
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 15, 2007, 02:54:38 PM
For the charity case that is Sham Rovers, the government is probably providing how much of the funds? 80%? 90%?

100% PLUS €1.5 Million for the Council to get it's own land back:o

Jasus lads ye couldnt make the likes of it up FFS.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

his holiness nb

Quote from: Dimitri on December 14, 2007, 10:58:25 PM
Cos tbh, I couldn't be bothered reciting the whole long facts for you bunch of bigots...

I love the bigotry comments, the last time I was at a Rovers game they were playing Shelbourne and a guy from Dublin (dont know his name) was playing for Shelbourne having previously played for Linfield. The "dirty orange bastard" chants and roars were shocking.
But its us that are the bigot  :D :D :D :D

Are all eircom league fans like this?
Ask me holy bollix

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 15, 2007, 03:52:47 PM
Are all eircom league fans like this?

Naw - most of them never actually go to the games  :D
i usse an speelchekor

dublinfella

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 15, 2007, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on December 15, 2007, 02:39:32 AM

Weak stuff.

Are they national stadiums?

Are those grounds open for all the community to use?

Because neither is the case here.

they are owned by local authorites like Tallaght. They have an anchor tenant like tallaght. they are open to all sports that can be accomodated like tallaght. whats your point?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: dublinfella on December 15, 2007, 05:13:48 PM

they are owned by local authorites like Tallaght. They have an anchor tenant like tallaght. they are open to all sports that can be accomodated like tallaght. whats your point?

"All sports that can be accommodated".

But the biggest sport in the country is excluded - better still, Sham Rovers tried to claim it could be accommodated while privately ensuring it could not.

Hmmmmm I wonder what kind of point I'm trying to make there.
i usse an speelchekor

heffo

Quote from: Dimitri on December 14, 2007, 10:49:07 PM
Quote from: TORGAEL on December 14, 2007, 10:47:24 PM
Just because they are a succesful club, & that they lost their ground under unfortunate circumstances, does not mean that the government should build them a stadium. If this was the criteria applied to any club, in any sport, the government would be obliged to build stadia all over the country. What you have said does not provide a valid reason as to why they should have a government funded stadium.
Unfair circumstances you mean???? Cos the government and courts stood back and let it ahppen, jeez, they even helped...

What exactly did you want the govt to do? The people who owned Glenmalure park were perfectly entitled to sell it...

ildanach

As well as we the tax payer paying for the staduium we will also have to pay for the garda overtime to police the place. Somehow i doubt the returns to the exchequer from gate receipts for a whole season (new stadium or not) will cover it.

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/News/Home%20News&id=79668&SUBCAT=Tribune/News&SUBCATNAME=News

Home News 

Gardai in demand for aggressive soccer games 
Sarah McInerney 

THE same number of gardai are needed to control an Eircom league match between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers as to police the All-Ireland Final, according to a senior garda.

Even though a game between Bohs and Rovers attracts just 3,500 spectators . . . less than 5% of an AllIreland Final crowd . . . both events require the same level of Garda resources. "It would be a Category A match for us, requiring the public order unit, the dog unit, the mounted unit and around 100 gardai, " said Insp Tony Gallagher from Fitzgibbon Street Garda Station in Dublin. "These groups are fuelled on aggression and intent on attacking each other. They have to be watched."

The stringent measures are taken in response to what gardai say is a notable increase in violence and hooliganism . . . a problem that is exacerbated by the rise in drug abuse.

"They are using drugs to get the psyche right for aggression and violence against rival groups, " said Gallagher. "They're drinking and then they're snorting lines of cocaine and meeting up at a prearranged point, 20 minutes before the match, ready to fight. They are totally fixated. They look beyond you to see their target. They are totally intent on bypassing you to get to the other group."

As well as arranging meeting points outside the stadium grounds, some groups seem to be forming alliances with other clubs.

Recently, a group of Wrexham supporters, known for causing trouble at games, attended a match with Bohemians supporters. Gardai later discovered that some Bohs supporters had booked accommodation in Dublin for the group.

"We followed the Wrexham group and discovered that the Bohemians supporters had booked accommodation for them to come here and assist tactically using the methods they used in Wales. We have to step up to that."

While the Bohemians and Rovers soccer clubs are working to stamp out violent elements among supporters, Gallagher said Stadium Banning Orders were needed to refuse access to troublemakers.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.