Andy Lee v Jason McKay - Saturday night....

Started by cville, December 12, 2007, 10:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cville

I heard that the 'smart money' is on McKay......... any thoughts?

JimStynes

Cant see it, i have seem McKay fight about 7 or 8 times, looks to be an average boxer. Lee is hyped up to be the next big thing but i have not seen enough about him to make a proper judgement, going by the highlights i have seen though he has got a big punch on him.  I would expect Lee to win easy.

Gold

andy Lee looked a bit flabby to me that last day he fought--looked ok but not world chempian material
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

behind the wire

Quote from: JimStynes on December 12, 2007, 10:26:34 PM
Cant see it, i have seem McKay fight about 7 or 8 times, looks to be an average boxer. Lee is hyped up to be the next big thing but i have not seen enough about him to make a proper judgement, going by the highlights i have seen though he has got a big punch on him.  I would expect Lee to win easy.

wouldnt be so sure about that. mckay is in good shape. also think he is taller than lee.

is this fight on tv?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

CiKe

don't know much about mckay and haven't seen that much of lee, although reports are very positive. some boxing writers describe him as a cast iron certainty for a world champion and think it was Kimball who talked about him more than holding his own with Jermain Taylor in the Kronk. Manny Steward doesn't train many muppets so I would be surprised if Lee didn't have that extra bit of class about him

Tyrone Dreamer

Lee seems to have got a lot less publicity than Dunne and Duddy so far but it appears he might have far more potential than either of those 2.

bombidal

Lee is an inch taller I believe. Also they have one fighter in common whom lee stopped in 4 and McKay beat on pts. McKays one loss though may reveal something as that  guy went on to get knocked out by Ryan Rhodes in 1 round. For me these are 2 fighters going in different directions.
The Andy Lee hype is only beginnning which is understandable and id expect him to win every round of this fight or maybe a late to middle round stoppage
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

nrico2006

QuoteLee seems to have got a lot less publicity than Dunne and Duddy so far but it appears he might have far more potential than either of those 2

True!  Manny Steward doesn't pick any fool up, and if reports are to be believed then Lee is a star in the making.  He has one thing that the like of Duddy and Dunne don't have - a killer punch!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Galwaybhoy

Any of ye watch this fight?  First time I have seen Andy Lee fight and I must say I was impressed.  Didn't think much of your man he fought and would like to know why he didn't come out for the seventh round especially after his own corner said Andy had no heart yesterday.  Andy seems like an actual good boxer, that has talent and skill, unlike Duddy who seems more like a brawler.  I always thought Bernard Dunne would never make a world champion and I dint think Duddy ever will either, and before I get caught up in the Andy Lee hype I'd like to see him fight a few more times and will reserve judgement until then.  However, for Andy Lee tonight, job done.

Had to laugh at Emmanuel Stewart after the fight saying how Lee would face Duddy or Pavlaik anytime.  Its amazing the way he talks up Lee, however its obvious that he wouldn't put Lee anywhere near Pavlik for a long time yet, anyway Pavlik has more important matters on his mind now, like the rematch with Jermain Taylor in February.

Also I noticed everyone looking for Andy Lees autograph after the fight while Emmanuel Stewart just  stood there, now I'm not one to go and look for another persons autograph but if I were, I know who's autograph I'd be getting.

INDIANA

Andy lee will be the undisputed world middleweight champion of the world in 2 years. Steward only trains winners and handpicked Lee when he had the choice of every amateur in the world. He is class - punched off both hands -good chin -fast hands- good feet and a heavy puncher a star in the making. We have our own version of mayweather.

CiKe

"We have our very own version of Mayweather" Indiana that is a very bold claim to make.

Lee might well become world champion, even undisputed middleweight champion of the world, but I don't think he will go down as one of the best ever...interestingly at the moment from a worlwide perspective middleweight must be one of the least interesting divisions. Looking forward to Pavlik-Taylor II but aside from that there aint much out there

glens73

Quote from: CiKe on December 16, 2007, 11:38:34 AM
"We have our very own version of Mayweather" Indiana that is a very bold claim to make.

Lee might well become world champion, even undisputed middleweight champion of the world, but I don't think he will go down as one of the best ever...interestingly at the moment from a worlwide perspective middleweight must be one of the least interesting divisions. Looking forward to Pavlik-Taylor II but aside from that there aint much out there

Arthur Abraham (IBF middleweight champ) would provide a stern test for either Pavlik or Taylor. He is a pretty brutal fighter, him and Pavlik would be a war. He fought Edison Miranda last year and got his jaw broke in the 4th round and went on to win on points.

Rav67

Lads Andy Lee is super-middleweight is he not so I think he'll be looking to work his way up that division I would have thought, maybe to a fight with Froch or Kessler in a year or two if he keeps progressing.

CiKe

you're right i forgot about Abraham - hard as nails. never saw the Miranda fight but read somewhere that he was robbed although may have been press release from his promoter. was meant to be fierce dirty fight altogether.

Rav, as far as I know Lee has had most of his fights at middleweight - he was stepping up last night and McKay was coming down in weight

Rav67

i should have actually bothered to read the whole thread there before posting! Hadn't realised Manny Steward had been bigging him regarding a future fight with Pavlik at middleweight as I switched over to the football straight after the fight.  Do you think there'd be much chance of him fighting Duddy in the next year or two then? Although Lee's younger it seems as if it wont be long until he's around equal to Duddy's stage of development.