Sigerson 2008

Started by shark, December 12, 2007, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doire na raithe

I can't believe you would open up a Grades argument???

Firstly Queen's does not do Physiotherapy or Sport studies.

It is indeed, for the majority of courses which both Queen's and Jokerstown ( ;) ) offer, much more difficult to get into the course in Queens.

Our Nail Loney

If everything you say is true about grades etc mockba can you explain to me this??

A friend of mine had applied for courses abroad which he got rejected from. He had not applied for UUJ or didn't make any effort to through clearing as well. But just before the university year began he got contacted by a member of UUJ GAA club adn offered a place in Sports Science/Studies (not aure which but you know what I mean) as long as he would play for the frehers that year, you see it just so happened that the fella had captained his county at minor level the season before. The fella is one of my best friends and I know his grades at A Level and they definitely weren't what was required!

PS The freshers then went on to win te All Ireland that season...

mockba

Quote from: AFS on March 28, 2008, 02:42:58 PM
Quote from: mockba on March 28, 2008, 02:39:16 PM
I have never read such bullshit in my life.  The fact is,  UUJ is a very successful University with a range of excellent and attractive courses n par with anything at queens.  It doesn't have medicine or dentistry yet.
But it does have Physiotherapy, Sports Studies, Quantity Surveying, Engineering, Law, Businesses Studies and Accountancy.  Of course many choose UUJ because of the academic course but also a well organised GAA club
UUJ also have a better range of post graduate courses.  I think its the only place where you can do the postgrad/master in Accountancy.  The new masters in Coaching wll attract more in next year.
I know that many young people both male and female want to go to UUJ because of sport and that to me is great
Some of you need an education on what is actually happening at Queens   For the last 4 years  every All-Star student has  received a letter,even a phonecall to encourage them to go to queens and also explaining the scholarship system.  fair play to them I say but don't let on it doesn't happen.

The fact that more and more  are looked to go to UUJ, just means they are marketing themselves as the University for sport and it working.

and don't bring up the old grades chestnut, most courses in UU are equally as difficult to get into and the HND is the same as the foundation degree at queens
3A's for physiotherapy and 2A and a B for sport studies.

Some of that may be true, but its not called Jokerstown for nothing  ;)

First time I've seen that one! original I must say.  Better that, than Her Majesty's University.  How can GAA men get so snobbish? and actually believe the tripe the are fed!

doire na raithe

Go buy yourself a new colouring-in book.

mockba

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on March 28, 2008, 04:01:31 PM
If everything you say is true about grades etc mockba can you explain to me this??

A friend of mine had applied for courses abroad which he got rejected from. He had not applied for UUJ or didn't make any effort to through clearing as well. But just before the university year began he got contacted by a member of UUJ GAA club adn offered a place in Sports Science/Studies (not aure which but you know what I mean) as long as he would play for the frehers that year, you see it just so happened that the fella had captained his county at minor level the season before. The fella is one of my best friends and I know his grades at A Level and they definitely weren't what was required!

PS The freshers then went on to win te All Ireland that season...

/quote]

Niall it would not matter if you were the best Gaelic player in Ireland , If you had'nt the grades you would not get in.   I know several lads last year with 3A,s who could not get into physio

mockba

Lads enjoying this craic but off to France for a few days, so keep the faith

Our Nail Loney

I'll get in touch with my mate and find out his exact grades but I know for a fact they weren't great and he got into UUJ without going through UCAS. His options were all for London which he got turned down for.

mockba

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on March 28, 2008, 05:29:32 PM
I'll get in touch with my mate and find out his exact grades but I know for a fact they weren't great and he got into UUJ without going through UCAS. His options were all for London which he got turned down for.

Niall just before I go.  It is simply impossible to get into UUJ or queens for that matter without going through UCAS, but get some more details.  My old schoolmate got into queens to do law just because daddy was in the society and was connected but sure who cares, Rugby and Soccer have been doing this for years.  Great to see GAA people in positions of influence

Rav67

I have never read such bullshit in my life.  The fact is,  UUJ is a very successful University with a range of excellent and attractive courses n par with anything at queens.

:D :D :D

take_yer_points

Quote from: Rav67 on March 28, 2008, 07:01:08 PM
I have never read such bullshit in my life.  The fact is,  UUJ is a very successful University with a range of excellent and attractive courses n par with anything at queens.

:D :D :D

Lads, firstly I think this has  turned into something that should be on the General Discussion section as some of you have made it into a stupid discussion about who goes to the better uni in a completely non-gaa sense. (and I think this would actually be a good subject!!). If you want to discuss grades then lets please move away from the Sigerson 2008 thread!

However, having said that and until someone starts a "Which is the better University" thread...

Having completed a degree in both Queens and J'town (personal opinion coming here) I must say that I found J'town a better establishment to complete a degree. I have since chosen J'town as the location to complete my Msc (Construction and project management) which is also offered by Queens. Why? Because I think that Jordanstown support their students more than Queens do and the quality of teaching is much better!

If you want to discuss this (or any other Queens vs Jordanstown education issue)  then feel free to start a new discussion in the General Discussion section. If you wish to keep this about Sigerson 2008, then keep posting below...

Tommy Tight Lips

sadly i can agree with our nail that yes a few of the courses at jtown do sound a bit ridiculous but could some1 please tell me what a Masters in "Advanced Computer Learning" entails.advanced use of bebo and msn?moving away from bebo to facebook?setting up online betting accounts?suppose theres no point asking mr okane or mccartan because they went to the "nightclass" as often as you've went to class this year nail!
im prob wrong here but has no1 mentioned the fact that james mcgovern had to go to jtown from queens because they offere a postgrad in accountancy?after gerard okane finished his year working whilst collecting a sigerson medal why did he not go to further his studies in queens?

Our Nail Loney

Sigerson Cup facing further delay

The Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup is facing another delay because of a clash with the Under-21 football Championship.

With UUJ already in the final, GMIT and Garda College were scheduled to play their semi-final next Tuesday but it has now been postponed.

Four GMIT players are involved in the Connacht U21 semi-final next Wednesday.

The All-Ireland U21 semi-finals are scheduled for 19 April so it is now extremely unlikely that the Sigerson decider will take place on 22 April.

Finding a date for the final will be further complicated by college exams in Jordanstown which start in mid April.

The completion of the Sigerson Cup has already been held up for several weeks because of a number of appeals regarding the eligibility of Garda players.

Both Garda College and GMIT have never won the Sigerson Cup with the latter aiming for a first final appearance.

UUJ have held the prestigious silverware on four occasions, and were beaten in last year's decider after extra-time by rivals Queens University Belfast.

laoisgaa

Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Semi-Final
Garda College 2-12
GMIT 1-14
(After-Extra-time)
By Cóilín Duffy

Garda College powered through to their first Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Final since 1999 thanks to a slender one point extra-time win over GMIT at Athlone last night.

It was a second goal from top-scorer John O'Brien which stole the game at the death for the Templemore students.

Garda College lined out without the influential Michael Cussen of Cork and they were certainly given a testing time in this game, by a GMIT side who were searching for a first ever final spot.

In ideal conditions, a good open game of football was produced which left the 600 in attendance enthralled throughout.

Nothing could separate the sides during a tenacious opening quarter with the sides level on two occasions with John O'Brien on target with both Garda points, while Aidan Campbell and Ciaran Conroy ensured GMIT kept in contention.

It was a Garda College goal from O'Brien after 24 minutes which proved to be the difference at the end of the opening half, with the Templemore students holding onto a 1-4 to 0-4 interval lead.

O'Brien latched on to a pass from full-forward Denis Glennon and the Dublin man's dipping shot went to the net, although a point opportunity looked the more likely result, as the ball skimmed off the fingers of GMIT goalkeeper Rory Cullen and spilled to the back of the net.

GMIT were performing strong at the back towards the end of the first half with team captain Niall Darby, shaking off an early blood injury to boost his side, and the Offaly man scored a fine fisted point in the 27th minute, as a direct response to the Garda College goal.

Garda College began the second half as they finished the first as Guinan sent over another free but GMIT were certainly eager and outscored their opponents by five points to three over the third quarter as they cut the gap to minimum.

Indeed GMIT corner back Donal Vaughan popped up to take a fine score to ensure just a point separated the sides with eight minutes remaining.

Miraculously GMIT continued their comeback and points from Paul Conroy and Griffin, ensured the lead as injury-time approached, but Garda forced injury-time with O'Brien kicking his fifth point.

Garda College made the better of the first half of extra-time and although GMIT looked to have stole victory with a late Paul Conroy goal, O'Brien found the net for Garda College to book a final spot.

Scorers for Garda College: J O'Brien (2f) 2-6; R Guinan (3f) 0-4; S Buckley, D Glennon 0-1 each.

Scorers for GMIT: P Conroy (2f) 1-3; N Darby, A Campbell, S Griffin 0-2 each; C Conroy, E Concannon, D Vaughan, M Martin, M Conroy 0-1 each.

GMIT: R Cullen (Sligo); P McGrath (Donegal), D Vaughan (Mayo), R McTiernan (Galway); C Garvey (Roscommon), T Cunniffe (Mayo), J Hayes (Clare); K Conroy (Galway), P Conroy (Galway); A Campbell (Mayo), P McGinley (Donegal), N Darby (Offaly); E Concannon (Galway), S Griffin (Donegal), M Conroy (Mayo). Subs: M Martin (Galway) for Darby (BS); J Kilcullen (Mayo) for McTiernan; M Martin for Concannon; S Hughes (Galway) for Garvey; W Fallon (Galway) for McGinley; E Concannon for Griffin; P McGinley(Donegal) for Concannon.

GARDA COLLEGE:P O'Connor (Longford); E Callaghan (Kildare), C McGrath (Galway), A Pender (Galway); A Dermody (Kildare), D Mullahy (Galway), G Dillon (Westmeath); A O'Mahony (Kerry), A O'Donovan (Kerry); S Buckley (Limerick), R Guinan (Offaly), M Harrington (Cork); J O'Brien (Dublin), Denis Glennon (Westmeath), J Keane (Mayo). Subs: S McGrath (Dublin) for Keane; N Leydon for Harrington; J Keane for Leydon.

REFEREE: Derek Fahy (Longford)

laoisgaa

Sorry I pasted the wrong version of my report above. I've edited it now!

orangeman

UUJ aren't turning up to Carlow next Tuesday - this years Sigerson has turned into a total farce !