tax question for accountants

Started by heganboy, December 11, 2007, 12:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Bogball - Gym memberships/hydration drinks etc can be allowed depending on the circumstances as to why they are being used....as easily proved the return of 50c per mile is not a realistic reimbursement for expenses so any costs over the 50 cents will be allowable....
For example "sex workers" are entitled to claim for lotion, condoms, lubrication as being a valid expense with regards to their income.....
Any accountant who can't prove that a GAA player has expenses to cover the grant isn't much of an accountant...

Bogball XV

I don't agree at all DFS, but hopefully it won't be tested.  There are all sorts of test cases about that sort of thing, and they all lose.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 13, 2007, 11:17:32 PM
Bogball - Gym memberships/hydration drinks etc can be allowed depending on the circumstances as to why they are being used....as easily proved the return of 50c per mile is not a realistic reimbursement for expenses so any costs over the 50 cents will be allowable....
For example "sex workers" are entitled to claim for lotion, condoms, lubrication as being a valid expense with regards to their income.....
Any accountant who can't prove that a GAA player has expenses to cover the grant isn't much of an accountant...

DFS, I wouldn't think there are too many intercounty players paying their own gym membership, at least not up here in the North already.  And although I am no longer in practice I think that the maxmium mileage allowance for tax purposes in the North is only 40p per mile.  I would assume that most intercounty players would be getting virtually that rate.

That's the thing about this "grants", there will be very little actual expenditure to be put against them, as they are really just a form of income (with a different title.  The expenditure that they may be out of pockets are already being met by the county boards (in the majority of counties).

TYP, yes if they do turn out to be taxable then HMRC will be gaining at th expense of the Irish taxpayer.

magickingdom

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 13, 2007, 11:10:50 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on December 13, 2007, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: heganboy on December 11, 2007, 12:30:30 AM
What are the tax implications for a gaa player in the north who receives a grant from what is perceived by the inland revenue as a foreign government?

i work in the roi but i'm pretty sure the same applies in ni, for income tax purposes domicile and residency are the biggies for an individual with 'foreign' income.  basically anyone in the north will be taxed on their worldwide income by the uk tax authorities and if the source of that income is from a country with a double taxation agreement (roi/uk have one) any tax paid at source can be reclaimed.

the think is a non issue tho because the amount of money involved is so small. anyone in the north who receives the grant can claim expenses against it. just keep a record of your milage etc and make sure it adds up to your grant or more! any expenses already been paid by the gaa are not going to cover your expenses - in roi gaa pay (i think) 50c a mile - civil servants can claim 1.25 a mile so factor those exp in as well
Some may be able to deduct some expenses, the majority I doubt, remember it must be unrecompensed expenses and the expenses must be wholly and exclusively towards whatever they do that justifies the grant - in other words, gym membership, hydration drinks and all that stuff wouldn't be deductible as people need liquids to live, they choose gym memberships to improve health and so on.  As Rois pointed out on another thread, the income of many players could be affected were the revenue to take a look at the situation.  In my opinion, this move by the GPA could result in the opening of a whole can of worms for players - but then, imo that would be typical of the GPA on this matter, they've not really thought the whole thing through properly.  They should have insisted the wording was changed in some way so as to ensure this wouldn't ever be an issue.

We may end up with a situation where the govt, give the players 3.5M but take in an additional 10M in taxes.

i'm sure all those exp would be allowed, also any boots/football gear paid for. it wont be hard to make up the expenses. personally i think the whole thing is bolix for the amount of money the players are going to get..

Bogball XV

Quote from: magickingdom on December 14, 2007, 09:38:06 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 13, 2007, 11:10:50 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on December 13, 2007, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: heganboy on December 11, 2007, 12:30:30 AM
What are the tax implications for a gaa player in the north who receives a grant from what is perceived by the inland revenue as a foreign government?

i work in the roi but i'm pretty sure the same applies in ni, for income tax purposes domicile and residency are the biggies for an individual with 'foreign' income.  basically anyone in the north will be taxed on their worldwide income by the uk tax authorities and if the source of that income is from a country with a double taxation agreement (roi/uk have one) any tax paid at source can be reclaimed.

the think is a non issue tho because the amount of money involved is so small. anyone in the north who receives the grant can claim expenses against it. just keep a record of your milage etc and make sure it adds up to your grant or more! any expenses already been paid by the gaa are not going to cover your expenses - in roi gaa pay (i think) 50c a mile - civil servants can claim 1.25 a mile so factor those exp in as well
Some may be able to deduct some expenses, the majority I doubt, remember it must be unrecompensed expenses and the expenses must be wholly and exclusively towards whatever they do that justifies the grant - in other words, gym membership, hydration drinks and all that stuff wouldn't be deductible as people need liquids to live, they choose gym memberships to improve health and so on.  As Rois pointed out on another thread, the income of many players could be affected were the revenue to take a look at the situation.  In my opinion, this move by the GPA could result in the opening of a whole can of worms for players - but then, imo that would be typical of the GPA on this matter, they've not really thought the whole thing through properly.  They should have insisted the wording was changed in some way so as to ensure this wouldn't ever be an issue.

We may end up with a situation where the govt, give the players 3.5M but take in an additional 10M in taxes.

i'm sure all those exp would be allowed, also any boots/football gear paid fot. it wont be hard to make up the expenses. personally i think the whole thing is bolix for the amount of money the players are going to get..
The point is magickingdom, they don't actually have to put their hands in their pocket for these things.  They can hardly claim deductions for something the county board pays for.

magickingdom

i know what your saying bogball but milage exp for training is a simple solution. the gaa are only paying 50c in the roi that wouldnt run a bike. make up the milage to whatever figure suits (its going on wholesale!) deduct the gaa 50c and charge the rest against your grant of say £2000. if someone is training 2 or 3 times a week its very feasable to do this. the revenue wont be bothered with the amount of money involved, having said that if the gaa could neg with both gov to see if the payments could tax fee it would be preferrable but that unlikely..