Conway quits Tyrone funding body

Started by ziggysego, December 10, 2007, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMarsden

I don't disagree with your point. however, as far as i can work out, everyone bar the DG is acountable within the GAA. Given that Corke Park have endevoured to short circuit the decision making process i'd suggest that they are accountable from below. there is nothing within the GAA which can't be changed from the bottom up.

Rois

Quote from: ONeill on December 12, 2007, 10:51:43 AM
Conway has never intimated that he won't be volunteering again. Did you hear this somewhere? He'll be working for his club in the same manner as before. All he did was stand down from the Club Tyrone committee. He's in many more committees.

He has intimated that he won't be involved at inter-county level.

So is inter-county volunteering and club-level volunteering different?  Just looking for you to stand by your point that volunteering is volunteering is volunteering, all or nothing.

ziggysego

Mark said a light has gone out, but he certainly has started a fire here.

As for DMarsen why did Mark quit the CT and not try to influence from inside. I'm at a lost to see how CT can influence the direction of the GAA.

I truly hope that Mark still remains involved in the GAA at either a County level, Ulster Level or National Level. We need a strong voice like his to voice our concerns and worries over the dismantling of the GAA.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

This is getting silly. Conway is a GAA man - a volunteer. Just because he resigns from one committee doesn't mean he ceases to be so. People can resign from committees as often as they wish, have done and will do. People are volunteers at all levels and he'll continue to be so. Just because you don't join a committe doesn't negate your volunteer status. We can't all be members of every committee.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on December 12, 2007, 12:20:53 PM
This is getting silly. Conway is a GAA man - a volunteer. Just because he resigns from one committee doesn't mean he ceases to be so. People can resign from committees as often as they wish, have done and will do. People are volunteers at all levels and he'll continue to be so. Just because you don't join a committe doesn't negate your volunteer status. We can't all be members of every committee.

You're missing the point ONeill and I don't mean to sound facetious. Of course people resign from GAA posts every year and there's nothing wrong with this and of course it doesn't affect you voluntary status. The point of this, is the reasons behind his resignation. Mark no longer recognises the GAA that he joined. He feels a watershed has been passed, of which I agree, and he can no longer work for CT raising money for inter-county Tyrone players, who are going to be paid anyway.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on December 12, 2007, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 12, 2007, 12:20:53 PM

You're missing the point ONeill and I don't mean to sound facetious. Of course people resign from GAA posts every year and there's nothing wrong with this and of course it doesn't affect you voluntary status. The point of this, is the reasons behind his resignation. Mark no longer recognises the GAA that he joined. He feels a watershed has been passed, of which I agree, and he can no longer work for CT raising money for inter-county Tyrone players, who are going to be paid anyway.

That's fair enough Ziggy and I agree with your interpretation, but I was addressing Rois who is getting tied up in something that was getting silly.

rrhf

I cant believe O Neill you are for pay for play. 

ONeill

rrhf, see the next fella from Donaghmore who goes over to the states during the summer and openly admits and boasts that he's getting paid to play our games - I expect you to say something to him. Getting a grant is the legalised version of that.

rrhf

Thats bullshit O neill and you know it.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on December 12, 2007, 01:31:44 PM
rrhf, see the next fella from Donaghmore who goes over to the states during the summer and openly admits and boasts that he's getting paid to play our games - I expect you to say something to him. Getting a grant is the legalised version of that.

Do 2 wrongs make a right in your opinion?
i usse an speelchekor

ONeill

OK, that's bullshit isn't it. Neither contravenes Rule 11. On one side you have fella openly leaving the country when their county/club side exits the championship in order to pick up much, much more than the govn bursary for playing GAA. That's OK you see. It's under the table.

Both are wrong in terms of Rule 11 if you want to be a stickler. However, one has been sanctioned by the GAA and can be monitored. The other can involve extorionate amounts and doesn't reflect the time and effort put in.

Keep your head in the sand for a while longer though, if you want.

rrhf

Well we know where yours is.  Your example is bullshit and either use the term "hypothetically speaking" or withdraw it.   Next time you go to the moon bring me back some rock!!

his holiness nb

Quote from: DMarsden on December 11, 2007, 04:48:15 PM
Holiness, i know this can't be your first dy on an internet forum as i've seen you post previously. Posting personal details without consent will leave the entire dicussion board open to prosecution. if i did post it, you'd say i was lying anyway, so what's the point!

Thats the sort of comment that loses you credibility, if you are going to stoop to smart arse stuff like that  ::)
You made a frankly stunning allegation and have not backed it up in any way. If you cant for the reasons given above you should never have made the comment as its a serious slur on the anti grant side of the argument.
And whatever I think, its quite obvious that people will accuse you of lying if you cant back it up, this is only natural with such allegations. And quite right too.
Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on December 12, 2007, 02:17:34 PM
Well we know where yours is.  Your example is bullshit and either use the term "hypothetically speaking" or withdraw it.   Next time you go to the moon bring me back some rock!!

Why is this hypothetically speaking? Do you not believe this goes on?