Sweeney lashes 'dirty' tactics of Clare champions

Started by Bord na Mona man, December 03, 2007, 11:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Sweeney lashes 'dirty' tactics of Clare champions

By Colm Keys
Monday December 03 2007

Victorious Loughmore-Castleiney manager, Eamonn Sweeney, has hit out at the treatment meted out to teen prodigy Noel McGrath in the opening passages of yesterday's AIB Munster club hurling final.

McGrath, who will only turn 17 later this month, was felled in an off-the-ball incident during some fraught early exchanges in Limerick yesterday. The incident happened as another Loughmore player, Eoin Ryan, was being treated after an off -the-ball incident with Eanna Torpey that merited a yellow card.

Sweeney, Loughmore's captain when they last won a county title in 1988, accused Tulla of "dirt" as he hit out at McGrath's treatment.

"The thing that disappoints us a little bit was the way we were treated in the first five minutes and that's not sour grapes. You say things like that when you lose matches, but I'm very disappointed. It was beyond gamesmanship. It was dirt, filth.

"When everyone was around Eoin Ryan treating him, Noel McGrath was done. That's wrong. To do that to a young lad you wouldn't clap yourself on the back," fumed Sweeney.

They bullied us in the first half and we decided that it wasn't going to happen us in the second," added the manager as a reference to Loughmore's improvement after the break.

David Kennedy, Lough-

more's defiant centre-back, admitted he had never hurled in such appalling conditions.

"It was an absolute battle. The wind destroyed the game. We knew at half-time that the game was far from over, that it would be as hard to play with the wind as against it."

Kennedy admitted Evan Sweeney's first half goal spared them.

"The goal kept us in the game. Without it we'd have been in serious trouble."

And he put the win into perspective by drawing comparison to where the small enclave, with a greater reputation for football, was 12 months ago.

"We were facing relegation this time last year. If anyone had said back then that on December 2 next we'd be Munster champions... it's unreal."

Tulla manager Jim McInerney heaped praise on his players and said they had come along way in a year after being thrown out of the Clare senior B championship for failing to field a team.

- Colm Keys

heineken_on_tap

At the early stages yesterday it did look like Tulla were more interested in the physical exchanges than playing hurling alright. They seem to have a mix of some very good hurlers and hatchet men whose sole purpose is to get at the opposition.

It is always better to see the more skillfull side coming out as eventual winners but fair play to Tulla for getting as far as they did

orangeman

It was good to see Tulla getting to the Munster final but their tactics were so negative - it was clear that they were going to hit anything that moved and they took full advantage. There's no doubt about it - they were dirty and they could have won but for their attention to the man first and ball second.

On another note, why do we continue to play the show piece club finals in such weather ??? It's pathetic. Is there not a system where we could play it earlier and avoid the bad weather of November and December ???

SeanSouth

I agree Orangeman, there maybe are not that many free weekends but as a spectacle Sunday was the worst i have seen in a while. I have also maintained for years that a lot of the time you dont get the best team progressing, rather the team that can "mix it" a little better. I know people always hold Ballyhale up as an argument to this theory but they were a truly brilliant team last year. Who knows how they would have fared on a day like Sunday past.

the destroyer

uck well no i have to say that im a firm belive in "wat doesnt kill u makes ye stronger"

orangeman

I t was horrible watching good players trying to play in those conditions - skill goes out the window usually although Brian Whelehan still had the presence of mind to win the game for Birr.

heineken_on_tap

In fairness Orangeman, it seems to be the only time of the year you can play these games - however I do agree Sunday showed why it isnt ideal. Think I have seen all the contenders in action at this stage , its still Portumna for me