Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMarsden

as this grant is the government's contribution towards the recognised monetary, time and commitment costs of preparation, then you'd have no problem?

pintsofguinness

Quoteas this grant is the government's contribution towards the recognised monetary, time commitment costs of preparation, then you'd have no problem?
it's not, the gaa takes care of players expenses. 

You never answered my second question.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DMarsden

Well The government define that as the critera for these grants. So who's right, you or the government?

pintsofguinness

The government can say whatever they want - the gaa pays players expenses, how can more money be expenses?

third time, where did you pick this up from?
QuoteRatification of the grants scheme was unanimous at today's central council meeting. not a single dissenting voice.

DMarsden

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 08, 2007, 05:12:19 PM
The government can say whatever they want - the gaa pays players expenses, how can more money be expenses?

Obviously the Government, having professional people to deal with these things, feel the gaa don't adequately meet their responsibilities towards their IC players.
But you're probably right.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 08, 2007, 05:12:19 PM
third time, where did you pick this up from?

Anyone interested can find these things out. that meeting ended hours ago.

pintsofguinness

Obviously the Government, having professional people to deal with these things, feel the gaa don't adequately meet their responsibilities towards their IC players.

In what areas do you think the GAA don't adequately meet players expenses?
Don't you think it would be better for the GPA to address these issues with the GAA (and I'm sure everyone would support them) rather than run and look money from the sports council?

QuoteAnyone interested can find these things out. that meeting ended hours ago.
So you made it up.  Fair enough.

Redhandfan

From the BBC NI Website:

Council approves GAA grants plan 

The GAA's Central Council has approved the scheme which will see inter-county footballers and hurlers get financial assistance from the government.
However, GAA chiefs have said that county boards will not have to distribute the money to players.

Instead they plan to set up a central system for paying out the cash.

On the disciplinary front, the scheme for ticking players is to be scrapped next year and replacements will be allowed for players booked twice.

For offences of rough play or unsporting behaviour, players must be directly sidelined but their team can send on a replacement.

However, a replacement will not be permitted for immediate red card offences.

The rule changes will come into operation after the GAA's annual Congress in April 2008.

In relation to the grants issue, opponents expressed concern that players receiving cash could threaten the GAA's amateur status.

In response, the Central Council asked for the following ammendment to be included in the agreement:

All parties recognise that the GAA is an amateur association and state their absolute commitment to the maintenance of the amateur status of the Association. They state that nothing in this agreement shall be allowed to undermine the amateur status of Gaelic games.

darbyo

QuoteI can't understand your logic here at all Darby, if congress decides these grants should not be distributed in the manner thusfar decided, then that decision has to be respected, you even state in another post that if the majority vote to go professional that must be respected.

I agree Bogball, if congress voted that no unit of the GAA should distribute the money then I would respect that. But because this is a government grant given to IC players and not GAA money, could the sports council, for example, not simply post out the cheques to the various players. In other words the players are still entitled to the money whether we want to give it to them or not. So a vote in congress could only be about whether we distribute the money or some other body does. As a result I'm not sure why we should have a vote over this, but by all means go ahead with it if that is what is wanted.
                      I will always support the majority view even if I don't agree with it but I don't think a congressional vote will change anything what ever the result. But I fear it may cause a greater divide than is already there.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI agree Bogball, if congress voted that no unit of the GAA should distribute the money then I would respect that. But because this is a government grant given to IC players and not GAA money, could the sports council, for example, not simply post out the cheques to the various players. In other words the players are still entitled to the money whether we want to give it to them or not. So a vote in congress could only be about whether we distribute the money or some other body does. As a result I'm not sure why we should have a vote over this, but by all means go ahead with it if that is what is wanted.
                      I will always support the majority view even if I don't agree with it but I don't think a congressional vote will change anything what ever the result. But I fear it may cause a greater divide than is already there.

The Sports Council won't distribute the money.
I don't think it's just about who sends out the cheques, had the GAA not also to agree to who got how much?

Bogball XV

Quote from: darbyo on December 08, 2007, 06:08:44 PM
QuoteI can't understand your logic here at all Darby, if congress decides these grants should not be distributed in the manner thusfar decided, then that decision has to be respected, you even state in another post that if the majority vote to go professional that must be respected.

I agree Bogball, if congress voted that no unit of the GAA should distribute the money then I would respect that. But because this is a government grant given to IC players and not GAA money, could the sports council, for example, not simply post out the cheques to the various players. In other words the players are still entitled to the money whether we want to give it to them or not. So a vote in congress could only be about whether we distribute the money or some other body does. As a result I'm not sure why we should have a vote over this, but by all means go ahead with it if that is what is wanted.
Ah now Darby, you know that the govt are not going to start sending out cheques without input from the gaa as to who qualifies for those cheques.  A vote in congress could do all sorts of things such as suspending players who accepted the grants and so on, as ylou stated somewhere else it would lead to alienation of county players and it's not a road that we want to go down.

darbyo

QuoteThe Sports Council won't distribute the money.
I don't think it's just about who sends out the cheques, had the GAA not also to agree to who got how much?

Not sure on the details POG but you're probably right.

QuoteAh now Darby, you know that the govt are not going to start sending out cheques without input from the gaa as to who qualifies for those cheques.  A vote in congress could do all sorts of things such as suspending players who accepted the grants and so on, as ylou stated somewhere else it would lead to alienation of county players and it's not a road that we want to go down.

Exactly Bogball, which is what I was trying to get at but I agree with you, in reality the GAA would have to have some input. But the thing is this doesn't have to be anymore divisive than it already has been. The grants are coming from the government the GAA are centrally distributing them and the GPA have agreed that the GAA have no responsibility to cover this money in the event that the government stops paying it. Unless I'm missing something, this seems to cover all the bases.

Farrandeelin

I'm sure this has been covered as well, but spare a thought (now that the grants will be paid) for the hurlers who are very good hurlers in Co. Kilkenny, but just can't make the Kilkenny hurling panel because the standard is so high there. This is despite worse hurlers from the likes of my own county (Mayo) getting grants. Ditto the good Kerry footballers who can't make it and some other county's footballers like Tipperary perhaps.

Do they qualify for grants or what?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

darbyo

No they don't, and this is a weakness of the system, but the money is so little as to not matter. I don't think too many club players in the stronger counties will worry about this too much. Some will say but what happens wy it gets bigger?, but as long as it remains a government grant then the amount won't be enough for a kilkenny hurler to leave his job, family and friends and head up to Donegal for the few bob.

FTJC

The wedge has been struck it's first blow and this is a sad day...i feel like giving up

orangeman

I don't believe there was a SINGLE dissenting voice - that's bollocks !!!

The GAA are shiting themselves afraid of a strike in case the tenders for the new rights have to be amended !

They've given in to rugby, soccer , have allowed the Queen to be played in Croke Park - and now they're paying the players - sorry they're giving them grants -

What a laugh !