O'Byrne Cup 2008

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 28, 2007, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 06, 2008, 11:55:40 AM

MacDiarmada / Laoislad, will ye be attending your own counties first round game?

Yes i am actually
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 06, 2008, 12:05:54 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 06, 2008, 11:55:40 AM

MacDiarmada / Laoislad, will ye be attending your own counties first round game?

Yes i am actually

Good for you LL, but I would still be of the view that many who slag off the Dubs attendances at this time of year dont go to every game themselves.

One thing I would say is I couldnt give a f**k about those who arent there. I wouldnt claim Dublin have the best fans. The fans who do go the the games, even if 3-4000 of them last night, are good fans, except for the knackers I mentioned previously.
Ask me holy bollix

The Real Laoislad

I agree the fans that braved the cold last night are great fans,And are genuine fans..
Too be honest the only reason i made those comments is because certain posters were on here during the year crowing that if Dublin had to play all their games outside of Dublin they would still get massive support for every game..
Last night was the first chance the fans got too see Dublin in competitive action this year and it wasn't a great turn out in terms of support..
Even the girlfriends Dad who is a true blue Dub was saying to me that he wondered were all the Hill boys were last night                                                                                           
You'll Never Walk Alone.

An Laoch

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 06, 2008, 12:20:03 PM
Even the girlfriends Dad who is a true blue Dub was saying to me that he wondered were all the Hill boys were last night                                                                                           

If the players and management cant be arsed with the games you can hardly criticize the fans for picking and choosing their games.

There's no revelation that majority of people who scramble for Dublin tickets in the summer are there for the day out, the booze and a sing song. There'll also be very few of these lads posting on GAA forums in the winter so there's little point in ridiculing those who ARE taking an interest at the moment.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: An Laoch on January 06, 2008, 12:24:06 PM

If the players and management cant be arsed with the games you can hardly criticize the fans for picking and choosing their games.

There's no revelation that majority of people who scramble for Dublin tickets in the summer are there for the day out, the booze and a sing song. There'll also be very few of these lads posting on GAA forums in the winter so there's little point in ridiculing those who ARE taking an interest at the moment.

Ah sure we'd have no fun around here then  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Yeah and you and Gnevin would have nothing to talk about!  :D
Ask me holy bollix

tayto

Decent performance for the new lads, Setanta seemed convinced it was a very experienced Dublin team, not sure what they were talking about! didnt make it up to Dublin myself, smashed after Christmas, far more important matches around the corner.

heffo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2008, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: MacDiarmada on January 05, 2008, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: An Laoch on January 05, 2008, 02:46:27 PM
Just found out Dubs v Wicklow is live on Setanta Ireland at 5pm. Seems to have been kept quiet for some reason so I just thought I'd spread the word here.

Probably thought that it would affect the attendance at the game, actually surprised that the game was not in Croke Park to cater for the fans.

Was thinking that too.
Parnell Park was bursting at the seams tonight..  ;)
They really are the best fans in Ireland  ::)

Bandwagon fans is clearly a Dublin-only phenomenon. I was at a championship game in 2000 in O'Connor park - A double header - Dubs v Laois in Hurling, Laois v Westmeath in football - I'd say there were 500 Laois fans in the ground. All the die-hards starting coming out as soon as you started paying managers...

Shamrock Shore

Jesus. Kildare must be shite altogether. McGeeney OUT

3 in a row ambitions now in tatters for Longford. Congrats to the lads on a decent win and btw lunch in The Merrion was scrum.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: heffo on January 06, 2008, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2008, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: MacDiarmada on January 05, 2008, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: An Laoch on January 05, 2008, 02:46:27 PM
Just found out Dubs v Wicklow is live on Setanta Ireland at 5pm. Seems to have been kept quiet for some reason so I just thought I'd spread the word here.

Probably thought that it would affect the attendance at the game, actually surprised that the game was not in Croke Park to cater for the fans.

Was thinking that too.
Parnell Park was bursting at the seams tonight..  ;)
They really are the best fans in Ireland  ::)

Bandwagon fans is clearly a Dublin-only phenomenon. I was at a championship game in 2000 in O'Connor park - A double header - Dubs v Laois in Hurling, Laois v Westmeath in football - I'd say there were 500 Laois fans in the ground. All the die-hards starting coming out as soon as you started paying managers...

Fair play to ya to go back  to a match eight years ago to make your point  that has nothing to do with why the Dubs didn't turn out last night ::)

Anyways back to more important matters,I was in Enniscorthy myself today and it was a highly entertaining encounter between Laois and Wexford.A Mattie Forde goal was the difference between the two sides but Laois had a lot of new faces in the team.Think we are playing Kilkenny  next week in the O'Byrne Shield where we hope to go on and take Longfords crown  :D
Final Score
Wexford 1-14 Laois 0-14

The Laois team today was

Laois - C Gorman , A Fennelly , D Hogan , R Stapleton , B Mccormack , C Ryan , P o Leary, D Miller,
K Meaney, S Conlon, M Tierney, B Sheahan, D Brennan, B Quigley, P Dunne

Subs Used- B Fitzgerald , S Conroy , P Lawlor

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThink we are playing Kilkenny  next week in the O'Byrne Shield where we hope to go on and take Longfords crown 

Best of luck to ye  :D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 06, 2008, 07:07:43 PM
QuoteThink we are playing Kilkenny  next week in the O'Byrne Shield where we hope to go on and take Longfords crown 

Best of luck to ye  :D

Fingers crossed  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

I agree the fans that braved the cold last night are great fans,And are genuine fans..
Too be honest the only reason i made those comments is because certain posters were on here during the year crowing that if Dublin had to play all their games outside of Dublin they would still get massive support for every game..
Last night was the first chance the fans got too see Dublin in competitive action this year and it wasn't a great turn out in terms of support..

In the Nell for 4.30  out at 6.30 and in warm car for 25 minutes to the RDS to see Leinster , 7.30 to 9.30 (ish) in the RDS no feeling anywhere .  Home at ten  a truly blue Gnevin :)  In shower at 10.10 out and 10.30 . I think it was the best shower I've ever had

p.s thought the crowd wasn't bad for the 5th of Jan with that cold
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

Off topic, but for the crack ...

I was idly watching Setanta's re-run of the Leinster-Ospreys match last night. Near the end, Ospreys brought on a substitute prop. I don't remember his name - let's call him Gerald Jones. This man had the hugest belly I've ever seen on a sportsman, excluding Sumo wrestlers. The Setanta commentator said  "... and on comes Gerald Jones <pause> who has had a magnificent Christmas". Made me laugh, anyway.

his holiness nb

Anyone got crowd figures for the games not involving Dublin?
I'm sure they were all packed to capacity but just for the craic  ;)

Derry v Armagh was deffo a sellout from what I saw on TG4.

Us Dubs can only hang our heads in shame  :D :D

Ask me holy bollix