Can we rank the Counties by their respectve Official Websites

Started by Maroon Heaven, December 06, 2006, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catweazle

The Tyrone one is I think a bit much, all that bloody flash on it takes ages to download and I had to download the latest version to watch it at all. I like the Donegal one, simple but updated well, yer man the PRO won the communications award from the Ulster Sportswriters for it. The GAA management Websites are pretty poor, lack of imagination when designing them did for them, the fixtures and results is just one big page, you cant find anything on it

Dinny Breen

Quoteit seems the crapper you are , the better your website?

Must be true as Kildare have an excellent one, which is only get better I might add.

http://kildare.gaa.ie/
#newbridgeornowhere

Lone Shark

When I was pricing up all the championships I obviously used a lot of these. Generally how I would categorise them is....

(1) Top Class - Informative and well presented

Leitrim
Antrim
Derry
Kerry (up until it went offline after the All Ireland)
Longford
Meath
Dublin

(2) Not bad - generally had the information, but could be better

Mayo
Down
Offaly
Donegal
Clare
Tipperary
Limerick
Louth

(3) Not great. Hit and miss, looks poor.

Sligo
London
Fermanagh
Cavan
Monaghan
Waterford
Wexford

(4) Awful or non-existent

Cork
Kilkenny
Armagh
Westmeath
Carlow
Wicklow
Galway
Roscommon
New York

Tyrone and Laois not active during the summer, unfair to judge. Kildare was a strange one. Looks great, no useful information whatsoever. Not once did they have accurate fixtures posted up by Friday for the weekend.
Having said all that, there were some good unofficial ones that took up the slack for the weaker counties (website-wise). KKCats, Sheepstealers, Rebel GAA and orchardcounty all told me everything I needed to know. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 07, 2006, 10:09:14 AM
Quoteit seems the crapper you are , the better your website?

Must be true as Kildare have an excellent one, which is only get better I might add.

http://kildare.gaa.ie/

it might just be counties though
as if this applied to clubs
the clocks would obv be going for their 10th senior championship in a row judging their website
(its not that bad, just glaring and too bright)

tayto

Good to see the standard has risen over the last while generally.
Hill16 is great for club info and results which is what you want really, the design is a little bit dated looking but does the job.
Westmeath should be ashamed of themselves, that's pathetic.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tayto on December 07, 2006, 12:01:41 PM
Hill16 is great for club info and results which is what you want really, the design is a little bit dated looking but does the job.

hill 16 is not nearly as good as it shoul dbe from a fixtures , result and league tables perspective
imo and from experience this year

armaghniac

The Armagh one is not as bad as it used to be. Maybe 3rd division.

Lone Shark what odds will you offer that an article on county websites, much like this thread, appears in a national newspaper in the next month?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan GAA one hasnt been updated since the Down Game in the championship....
Its the worst one in the country for sure....
Absolutely pathetic.

tayto

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 07, 2006, 12:15:56 PM

hill 16 is not nearly as good as it shoul dbe from a fixtures , result and league tables perspective

It could be better but as far as i know yerman does it in his own time, it's a lot better then most.

tayto

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 07, 2006, 12:20:00 PM
Cavan GAA one hasnt been updated since the Down Game in the championship....
Its the worst one in the country for sure....
Absolutely pathetic.

Take a gander at the Westmeath link above, if you've any content at all yer doing better then westmeath. 

Lone Shark

I'd have no complaints to be honest. You could trust the throw in times, and that's more than could be said for a lot of them.

I didn't use the Cavan one too much to be fair, ye're championship was fairly well advance by September this year.

The Westmeath one is a class apart in fairness. If I didn't know someone working for the Westmeath Indo I would have been fecked.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tayto on December 07, 2006, 12:22:12 PM

its the info from the county board that irks me
they have the fixtures, they have results sent to them
they dont have these collated back in Co board HQ therefore how can they send on these let alone expect someone to update them in their own time...

I ended up fixing matches and suggesting pitches myself a couple of months ago.
I know its a thankless task, but jeez dont sit there - ask for help  - there are plenty of clubs/GAA people who would give a hand if needed.

It could be better but as far as i know yerman does it in his own time, it's a lot better then most.

Fionntamhnach

I agree with the gripe about the Tyrone site having too much flash - its Flash for Flash's sake. They only thing that using flash enhances there is the club location map.

Aside from that, its not a bad site, it's "launched" at a quiet time of the year. However going into 2007 for reports it'll need more to have at least a paragraph or two rather than just give a result.

neilthemac

in fairness, at least the roscommon website is updated with results and fixtures

unlike some other much flashier websites

LilyWhiteAllright

its only updated every week or two though most of the time its more.  Is very biased towards hurling. not really worth goin on, hoganstand is way better