Heineken Cup 2007/2008 Thread

Started by Tankie, November 09, 2007, 10:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I'm in Coventry this weekend for the game, as part of TGFIW (apparently :D), but I am very nervous for a couple of reasons. Firstly there seems to be a misplaced sense of over-confidence among a lot of the fanbase about this game, which I hope doesn't seep through to the players. Saracens defence was immense against an overconfident Ospreys, and if they match that, then Munster will have to be at full tilt to win. The Gaffney factor, which I don't believe will be tactical as much as mental, is also at play and they are all very nicey-nicey about Munster, which means the usual Munster backs to the wall attitude will be harder to achieve. Munster should be professional enough, and good enough, to beat them, but there's been any amount of upsets in semi finals of various competitions over the years, and this could well be one of them.

I'm also not over enamoured with the selection for Sunday. Not so much with the team itself, but the replacements bench is a slight worry. Freddie Puchierello is in instead of Tony Buckley, presumably as the cover in case Horan or the scrum gets in trouble. Buckley's ball carrying and general destructiveness around the ruck will be missed though, and John Hayes will have to put in a big shift. Also Anthony Foley is dropped to be replaced by Donnacha Ryan. Ryan is another up and coming lock forwards/flanker types which Munster seem to produce regularly, and he is a good player, but Foley's experience would have been a very handy calming influence if things go a bit dodgy. They are not as big a call as the Hurley/Payne and O'Leary/Stringer decisions against Gloucester, but they are still important decisions, and I hope they don't backfire. Mick O'Driscoll would be a natural cover for O'Connell/O'Callaghan in any case, and he can also fill in at flanker, but Foley is the only other number 8.

I'm nervous, but I think Munster might do it by 3-10 points.

Dinny Breen

Would share much of AZ concerns regarding Munster, think they'll squeeze it by 4 points. Fancy Saracens to leading at half-time though...

London Irish could be worth a punt, Toulouse have a lot of injuries, very little support and the games between these two sides were quite tight last year.....

Head on block

Munster v Irish final...
#newbridgeornowhere

ludermor

There are a lot more than 2000 empty seats at the game.

Yes I Would

Thought Munster were a little fortunate today. Similar to Toulose performance yesterday, but guess its all about the result!
Makes for intriguing final between kingpins of European rugby!Should be one hell of a weekend in Cardiff

Aristotle Flynn

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thejuice

Anyone on Craven St last night, was in the Hersall Inn myself, didnt see the Munster match as Casements had a game, that was some downpour around 3 O'clock, hope it didnt dampen the athmosphere in the Ricoh
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tankie

Grand Slam Saturday!

AZOffaly

Quote from: thejuice on April 28, 2008, 09:17:25 AM
Anyone on Craven St last night, was in the Hersall Inn myself, didnt see the Munster match as Casements had a game, that was some downpour around 3 O'clock, hope it didnt dampen the athmosphere in the Ricoh

I was there on Friday and Saturday night juice. I was asking about you when I saw the posters up for the game. Is your surname also a bookmaker's name ? :D

thejuice

No, and no-one knows me by thejuice moniker so I dont know how you would even start describing me other than a Meath bollox
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

That's what I started with :D When I said Meath the lad I was talking to, the son of Peter, was saying he only knew two Meath lads on the team, and they were brothers with the name of a bookmaker over here. Not Powers :D

thejuice

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2008, 10:33:08 AM
That's what I started with :D When I said Meath the lad I was talking to, the son of Peter, was saying he only knew two Meath lads on the team, and they were brothers with the name of a bookmaker over here. Not Powers :D

thats about a mile off, the other Meath lad i know second name is Hackett, not a bookmaker to my knowledge, and we are no relation

AZOffaly

that's the lad he mentioned. Hackett. I mentioned the bookmaker thing (Hackett's Bookmakers) to preserve your identity. But it's not you anyway obviously :)

bcarrier

I thought atomsphere was fairly subdued yesterday. I was in middle of sarries fans ( so it might be a bit like Dougals near and far in Father Ted) but thought they were probably more vocal than the Munster support. Empty seats scattered around place didnt help either.

AZOffaly

I thought it was decent enough bcarrier. There were a few good renditions, and I definitely thought the Munster fans were louder, but with probably 60-65% of the crowd they'd want to be. It got very nervy towards the end, but there was a few good moments where the crowd tried to lift the team.

Not the normal noise, but I think that reflected what I was afraid of beforehand. A lot of Munster fans just assumed Munster were going to get there.