By by Billy!

Started by ExiledGael, November 08, 2007, 07:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Cork Echo saying this evening that Morgan has not been allowed to choose his own selectors and has pulled out of the Cork job. Would be the end of quite an era!

dodo

I think the langer this went on for the langers the more likely it was that the langer would no langer be in charge of the langers.

Kerry Mike

Dont go Billy dont go. You have brought so much joy to the Kingdom, and beating the langers will not be as much fun without you.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hollow Man

The reason nobody posts on this board anymore is because of illiterate fools like the dunce who started this thread.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Hollow Man on November 08, 2007, 08:06:47 PM
The reason nobody posts on this board anymore is because of illiterate fools like the dunce who started this thread.

Thanks Hollow for pointing out my letter out of place.  ::)
You complain about a drop in numbers with an ignorant effort of a post like that.

orangeman

Very good Dodo !

Seriously I think Billy can walk away happy that he got the est out of a very ordinary bunch -

magickingdom

until he's 9 foot under, 'he hasnt gone away you know'... if hes gone he'll be back (too) soon enough

Fear ón Srath Bán

With Billy gone, so has a little bit of colour and character* departed the national Gaelic Games scene  :'(

*Read 'the biggest pain in the arse', if you're from the Kingdom  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Frank Casey

Couple of articles from this days Evening Echo. Will be sorry to see him. Nothing gave me greater pleasure than the sight of him eyes to heaven wondering what sort of shower he'd picked to get a hiding from real footballers.

Magickingdom - until I see the stake in his heart and 100 silver bullets in him,  followed by his burial in 50 feet of reinforced concrete, I won;t believe he's gone.

Go neiri an tadh leis.

By JOHN HORGAN
Cork football latest
THE Cork County Board will have to find a new senior football manager for 2008.
Billy Morgan announced today that he is not interested in taking up the position again. Speaking exclusively to the
Evening Echo, Morgan said that he would not allow his name to go forward again under the present circumstances, which
would not allow him to choose his own selectors. "I am not allowing my name into the frame again, because I could not accept the job whereby I could not select the people that I would want to assist me. "I believe that the County Board took a step backwards by
taking that decision. "There's no way that I would return to the job of managing Cork under those circumstance s." Morgan, the most successful manager in the history of Cork football, declared that he had enjoyed the past few years with, what he described as a 'fabulous bunch of players' and he believed they could go on to achieve their ultimate goal of winning an All-Ireland title. The team made tremendous progress under Morgan's stewardship, reaching this year's All-Ireland final and contesting the semi-finals in 2005 and 2006. "The players were fantastic. "I couldn't have asked for more from them. We were very disappointed this year when things did not go right for us in the final, but I believe I am leaving Cork football in a very healthy state. "I have enjoyed working with a great bunch of selectors in Ger Sullivan, John Corcoran, Jim Nolan and Ted Owens and all the rest of the backroom team. "But, as I said, I am no longer interested in being involved again for the reasons that I have outlined.'' Reacting to the decision, County Board PRO Bob Ryan said that Billy Morgan has been a legend in Cork football. "As a player and as a manager he has done it all. The decision he has made is something we respect and also his points of view. "The County Board were only carrying out the wishes of the clubs. We thank him sincerely for what he has done for Cork football and wish him the best for the future.''

Kavanagh: Morgan will be hard act to replace
ÉAMONN MURPHY EXCLUSIVE
CORK captain Derek Kavanagh feels that replacing Billy Morgan will be a huge task, particularly given the new Rebel manager
will not be able to pick his own selectors,.The Nemo midfielder also admits he isn't surprised that Morgan has opted out in the
circumstances. "Nobody is going to be able to fill Billy's boots in terms of passion and commitment, so we need someone with a
different angle and their own ideas," argues Kavanagh. "The situation with the selectors is going to make it difficult because it has
already ruled out Billy and others won't be interested because a manager needs to lead with his selectors helping him. The buck stops with the manager. "We've come a long way but we're still short of winning the All-Ireland, it's very important we get the right man in now and that could be difficult." Kavanagh fears that with the Cork County Board picking both the manager and his four selectors, there is a danger of having a divided management team. "About five years ago where there was a situation where there was a lack of trust. We don't want that again," warns Derek. He says people shouldn't underestimate Billy's recent influence on Cork football. "We're getting back to where we should be. "Some of Billy's training sessions were unreal and the passion of his pre-match
speeches couldn't be matched. "Certainly he was the driving force of my career, going back to 1999 when I was just an average minor and he stuck me in at full-back with the Nemo seniors. It going to be strange without him."

KERRY 3:7

lynchbhoy

to be fair Billy is a passionate Cork GAA man
he always seems to do well with the cork team - and nemo

wouldnt criticise him at all.

magpie seanie

I'd go along with Lynchboy. It seems though its a crime to be passionate these days.

I also think he'll be back.

orangeman

Billy was, is and always will be a legend in Cork - his only failure ? It was that he tried to do too much - he took the best out of a moderate side - don't forget the hameering they gave Meath a few weeks ago !

SuperDooperCooper

The reoccurring nightmare that was a picture of Billy's smiling face on top of the hogan stand, holding Sam, after beating Kerry in the final on the front page of de examiner for a year....thankfully never came to pass. Never has one man so enraged a set of Gaelic football fans but his enthusiasm for Cork football has to be respected even if his frequent outburst over the last couple of years did bring his sportsmanship into question. Overall his departure is probably a good thing for Cork football but I for one would not be surprised to see him back again.

orangeman

Cooper - I can't see Billy EVER taking up the Cork reins again - he has been shafted by the County board  - he'll just devote the rest of his coaching life to his beloved Nemo !