Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

That was a very depressing evening, in some ways more depressing than Armagh. So poor on the line and on the field. Hard to know where to even start.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AM
That was a very depressing evening, in some ways more depressing than Armagh. So poor on the line and on the field. Hard to know where to even start.

Hard to see Graham staying on after that. He pushed things on but will be disappointed with how the Tailteann Cup panned out.

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on June 18, 2023, 10:13:15 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AM
That was a very depressing evening, in some ways more depressing than Armagh. So poor on the line and on the field. Hard to know where to even start.

Hard to see Graham staying on after that. He pushed things on but will be disappointed with how the Tailteann Cup panned out.

I think that is a given but the problem is how many players will leave with him

cavanmaniac

Cavan look like having a few wilderness years now. Graham will go, and on the basis of the flat, robotic performances in the championship games that matter, starting with the Tailteann Cup final, it's time he did. In hindsight, losing that final is an even bigger disaster that it even looked initially, psychologically as well as in Sam Maguire eligibility terms - totally blew their chance to undo the horrors of those league relegations that Graham must carry the can for too. The football against Armagh and Down was genuinely nauseating to sit through - repetitive, side shuffling from players totally bound by systems, tactics, patterns, whatever you want to call it, it'd give you a pain in your face. Just no cut and thrust whatsoever.

A few big names look like they've had enough at this stage and that's no surprise; lots of miles done and very little to show for it, bar one shining moment. We still have a few players coming through you'd imagine, how could we not with "the great work being done at all levels in Cavan" (yet we've won next to nothing for 50 years +). I'm not knocking the effort there, btw, just how it's channeled. Clearly a lot of investment is yielding very little return, or not enough considering what's being put in.

Grim times ahead methinks  :-[

Itchy

I'd agree with a lot of that but the one niggling worry I have is realistically who do we get to replace Graham? I think we need a Cavan man with the interests of Cavan gaa to the fore, not some mercenary in it for quick wins.

Look-Up!

There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

tomjacks19

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

cavanmaniac

My first post may have come across a tad uncharitable to Graham, who I do think did a solid job overall especially in his first few years. In reality we're going back to square one with a big rebuild on now so how tantalising a prospect that might be to an outside manager is debatable. I think we'll appoint from within again which I prefer in the circumstances but I think one more year under Mickey might be one too many. It's all gone very stale.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2023, 05:37:23 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.
I wasn't sorry to see Mattie go but if he had wanted to stay another year I wouldn't have objected. League performances were light years better under him and it's where you develop as a team. Championship is a lottery. We won a few games with him, lost to Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Tipp(AI semi finalists year previously). Hardly awe inspiring but we were never hockeyed. If that was hopeless I don't know how to describe last 3 years.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2023, 05:37:23 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.
I wasn't sorry to see Mattie go but if he had wanted to stay another year I wouldn't have objected. League performances were light years better under him and it's where you develop as a team. Championship is a lottery. We won a few games with him, lost to Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Tipp(AI semi finalists year previously). Hardly awe inspiring but we were never hockeyed. If that was hopeless I don't know how to describe last 3 years.

Wasnt just the losses, it was the manner of the losses. Graham tenure has gone downhill in 3 years (I like how you limited the review to 3 yrs for some reason) however he did make 2 ulster finals, a Tailteann final and league finals. He won 1 ulster, 1 Div 4 and 1 Div 3 title. Not great but way ahead of McGleenan. Its funny when you do well in championship Cavan fans will moan about the league performances and when you do well in the league they will moan about the championship.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on June 28, 2023, 01:56:52 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2023, 05:37:23 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.
I wasn't sorry to see Mattie go but if he had wanted to stay another year I wouldn't have objected. League performances were light years better under him and it's where you develop as a team. Championship is a lottery. We won a few games with him, lost to Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Tipp(AI semi finalists year previously). Hardly awe inspiring but we were never hockeyed. If that was hopeless I don't know how to describe last 3 years.

Wasnt just the losses, it was the manner of the losses. Graham tenure has gone downhill in 3 years (I like how you limited the review to 3 yrs for some reason) however he did make 2 ulster finals, a Tailteann final and league finals. He won 1 ulster, 1 Div 4 and 1 Div 3 title. Not great but way ahead of McGleenan. Its funny when you do well in championship Cavan fans will moan about the league performances and when you do well in the league they will moan about the championship.
Ah here Itchy. Going to D4 was an all time low. Listing Division 4 Finals and TC finals as achievements against other managers is some spin. I remember first 2 years well. Beating Monaghan was great, we actually played very well that day with a nice slice of luck for a change. The Ulster final, aftermath and Tyrone game were brutal, as bad as anything I have seen. 2020 was great achievement, we were brilliant in final. But how we got there was a miracle and largely thanks to Raymond Galligan. First 50 minutes against Monaghan is probably the worst I have ever seen a Cavan team play. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they were at least 15 points a better team. Win was delightful but lets not pretend we were playing well. We all hoped victory over Donegal was a watershed moment but it was clearly a one off.

I think it was the manner of the championship victories more so turned people off Mattie. We beat Wicklow and Down but were very very poor and defensive. In his defence he had us very open all year but then shipped two big scorelines in League final and first round and panicked. His very last game against Tyrone we actually played very well and we rattled them. It was probably enough to guarantee him another year but he had the good sense to know he was a little out of his depth and not fully trusted. No shame in walking.

mrdeeds

Graham gone anyway. A reign full of highs and lows. The high obviously the Ulster Championship win while Wicklow defeat the lowest.

Shortlist for u20 job, Donal Keogan, Larry Reilly,  Brian Donohoe and Keelin Melaniff.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 11, 2023, 12:34:19 PM
Graham gone anyway. A reign full of highs and lows. The high obviously the Ulster Championship win while Wicklow defeat the lowest.

Shortlist for u20 job, Donal Keogan, Larry Reilly,  Brian Donohoe and Keelin Melaniff.

Shortlist for the U20 Job? Has Damian Donohoe vacated it?