Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

What exactly is the problem with Johnston anyway, it's all gone dark on his injury I haven't read or seen a thing about it anywhere. He hadn't been playing near as well as last year but we could be doing with him fit for 20 mins or so for when Jason tires. Has he played for the seniors all year?

A big open prairie like Croker would be perfect for little Jelly to run riot in. Looking forward to seeing Lyng on the grand stage too, it's tailor-made for him to direct traffic on the forty and find the corners with some nice passes. [Edit - if it's a slippy surface, would anyone have concerns about risking him?]

Immensely looking forward to the game I have to say. Redevelopment, GAA fondness for Clones and a poor draw in round 4 two years ago has kept us out of Croker but hopefully Saturday will mark the start of more regular visits to the hallowed ground.

If nothing else it'll stop the Meath shite about tractors and student entry for pensioners etc. They're a bit far down the pecking order to be joshing at us dont yiz think?.

Besides, did they never hear that those in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones? Evidently not.  ;D

trim blue

Maniac, heard it was a broken bone in his foot so if thats true it would surprise me if he was fit, he was limping heavily when I saw him at the Wexford game but maybe he is one of these quick healers you hear about, think all the young lads will be fearless on Saturday with Cullivan and Lyng ready to put down a marker. Don't know how we will be able to compete in midfield though, McCabe hasn't the legs anymore so getting up and down between the 45's tracking his man will be a big ask. The question is have we the potential to improve by at least 30% on our performances to-date, I think we have but we might have to wait for the Championship for that and mightn't see it on Saturday.
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

We certainly need to TB. I've been a bit down on our championship prospects since the league ended but at a week or two's remove, I suppose going up unbeaten is not a bad achievement with a new manager and a building/experimenting team carrying a few injuries. Anyway, offer any Cavan fan league promotion and unbeaten status at start of year and we'd have taken it. Anything else from the seniors this year is a bonus, in a way we should just sit back and enjoy whatever we get.

If anything will bring a bit more out of the team it'll be a day out in Croker you'd hope. Something with the effervescence of the display against Derry in the McK Cup would do nicely I think, but we have weak links and I just hope they're not cruelly exposed when we meet a good team.

BallyhaiseMan

I for one am very confident in relation to Saturday Night.
as i said on the other thread, id be worried about Rosscommons size and power,but with Croke being such a big pitch,I think Pierson/Jelly if fit/Jayo etc and Lyng could run riot.

anglocelt39

There is a serious need for us to get every man jack in the county into Croker on Saturday night. I'm a bit worried with talk about all of Cavan being there. There were shag all of us in Clones for our first Championship meeting against the Rials in 50 years on a magnificent day. The great Cavan support has been a bit of a myth since the late 90's when we started getting serious mullerings by Derry, and, subsequently, Tyrone. We have done enough banging on about not getting into Croker, here we are. The players have managed to stem last years disaster and deserve some support.

So folks, in short, harangue your neighbour/sister/aunt/summer soldier to get the hell up there. I think this could really work wonders for players such as Lyng/Pierson to get a run in Croker. We will start to know whether the likes of Crowe/Cunningham are ready for championship action.

There's a bigger dimension to getting a big crowd in come Saturday night. Over the past year many staunch GAA commentary types have been making the point that the stadium is practically closed to GAA players apart from the elite. Now that soccer and rugby got their go, a concession has quite rightly been made and this weekends fixture is for Croker. Let's not now stay at home, watch it on TG4 and have it thrown back to us that we wouldn't use it when it was available. Hell, while I think of it, harangue your Monaghan, Ros friends and family to get there too. Those of you out on day release who are willing to admit to acquaintances with the other crowd, well that's up to you.

Here's to a great night, for those of you travelling from exile land (i.e. south of Dublin) the train in from Maynooth to Drumcondra is the only way.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

CC1

I don't know why alot of you lads are worried about Johnston or any of the forwards for that matter. They're all playing well at the moment and hopefully they'll continue to do so. The thing I'm worried about is our midfield and backline. McCabe just can't cope on his own in the midfield, Mulvey and Walsh are huge losses in there because they are both real grafters and that gives McCabe a chance to get the ball and start up attacks. Playing the Gunner in midfield again isn't an option, we certainly need someone in there pronto. Cunningham played well there for Swad last year, maybe he might be a decent punt in there.

As for the back line, we have to get Forde away from the full back position. It's not because he's playing badly or anything, but he's just too small to deal with bigger players and high balls in. Forde is a good player when he has the ball in his posession, not when he's fighting with a goliath of a man for posession. How tall is Hannon? Surely he's taller than Forde...
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

cavanmaniac

Ironically, the Cavan thread has now reached page number '52.

Will it all go to shite from here on do ye think? ;D

cavan4ever

Anyone got there tickets yet?

Be careful if ur buying on Ticketmaster because there supposed to have the worst seats!!

BallyhaiseMan

Ordered them off Ticketmaster C4ever,
have to collect them from Box Office later today or maybe tommorow.Good seats according to the seating chart.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteIronically, the Cavan thread has now reached page number '52.

Will it all go to shite from here on do ye think?

LOL hope not :D
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

realredhandfan

good luck lads and enjoy it.. Youse deserved to be there a lot sooner..

BallyhaiseMan

Here lads keep it at 52 pages until Saturday,It could be a lucky omen  :o

Thanks for the well wishes RRHF.  :)

Homer

Doubt there is much chance of that happening BallyhaiseMan, even if we (the cavan lads) do manage to leave the page alone, theres always gonna be a few posts put in from a few Rossies or others to spoil it.

I'm almost hopping off the walls this week in anticipation, I just hope the night can live up to its expectations. A good game of football, a great atmosphere and of course a win for Cavan would be the ideal preparation for the Down game (Provided that we don't get slaughtered at the hands of the mushroom pickers or the rials that is).

I would worry about the players pushing themselves to be fit for the game on Saturday (Jelly, Rabbitte, Walsh, Sean Brady and Lyng too), I mean I'm sure the lads would do anything to be able to play in Croke Park on Saturday. I'm just anxious that they could do them themselves an injury in effort to regain fitness in time, or otherwise declare themselves fit to play when they are not and run the risk of further damage.

Fishead_Sam

I was enojying this thread until it hit 51, now I feel like moaning until at lease page hundred & '07

I think the Rossies stopped posting in the early 40's

Hollow Man

Cavan team v Roscommon, NFL Division 2B Semi final

Reilly, Cahill, Forde, Hannon, Brady, Reilly, Fannin, McCabe, Brennan, Cullivan,McKeever, Flanagan, Johnston, Gallagher, Reilly

changes

1 Brennan to midfield - happy enough. Saw him for the club against Lacken last friday and he was brilliant, very fit.

2 Flanagan wing forward - the lad is as cool as a cucumber. Glad to see him start.

3 Jelly in - is he fit? He came on and kicked 2 points for the Gaels v Cuchullains, hard to know if he's 100%, if we get a good 50 minutes then spring Pierson I'd be happy

The only thing I'm worried about is Gallagher - Pierson is a much bigger threat in my opinion.

Surprised Lyng is out but I'd be stunned if he doesn't figure at some stage. Some bloody good players available to bring off the bench too, the likes of Larry, Lyng, Pierson, Cunningham, Mackey and at the back Crowe...