Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Goes to show how far Mossy has come on in the past couple of years that we are so keen to see him back..

mylestheslasher

That is true Westside. Also what has changed is the notion that a midfielder should be judged on how much fielding he does on kick outs. That is becoming a smaller and smaller part of the game. Its all about running, working, putting in the hits etc. Corr is a hardy boy and his physical presence would be a big help against Fermanagh.

Westside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2Ru5FLOdo

Mossy taking a savage hit here at 1:30 and powering one over. Also looking back on this, note Gearoid slapping the Fermanagh man on the arse after Keating's goal... Excellent stuff. We really got out of jail that day though, Jack had a great game, don't think we'll be scoring 3 goals on the 16th.

Westside

Cavan playing Mayo in a challenge match in Ballina at the moment. Were winning by 3 at halftime and have an entirely new 15 for the second half. Have conceded 3 goals in the second half and it's now 4-07 to 12 points. Mackey flying apparently.

mylestheslasher

Just back from the game today. Lost 5-13 to 0-16 or something like that. We were 0-10 to 1-5 up at half time. Completely changed the team in the 2nd half. Hard to make out the teams from where I was behind the goals but O O Meara was in goal in 1st half and had great short clever kicks. Millar came on in 2nd half and was the opposite, no longer close to 1st choice in my opinion. Mcloughlin was excellent in 1st half as were Mackey and M Reilly.

Tierney won a lot of ball. 2nd half our tempo dropped big time and Mayo ate us in midfield which was mainly due to us weakening the spine of the team and Millars terrible kick outs. Givney looked knackered and Keating too often making wrong decisions. Work rate in 2nd half was 20% lower than first. Best in the 2nd were N McDermott & Barry Reilly.5  Mayo were full strength and only made a few changes in the 2nd half. Cavan missed 5 great goal chances. M Dunne blazed wide when easier to score. R Dunne smashed the bar as did N McDermott. Keating and McDermott again had great shots saved by the keeper. I've listed teams below, I couldnt make out all the players, especially in the 2nd half as they were too far away from me.

1st half
O Meara
McLoughlin
Dunne
Tighe
McEnroe
A Clarke
F Flanagan
D McKiernan
????
M Reilly
J Brady
R Flanagan
Tierney
Dunne

2nd Half
Millar
K Clarke
???
???
Meehan
Podge
McCutcheon
D Reilly
Murray
B Reilly
M McKeever
N McDermott
Givney
Keating

Tough call between Jack and N McDermott for the 40. Midfield its hard to tell, strange that Givney didnt play there only for 5 mins today. McCutcheon did nothing in there and neither did D Reilly. Decland McKiernan did play well and might get a chance in there. FB line has to be clarke, Dunne and McLoughlin although again Clarke caught out under a high ball. Half back line will be the same as Armagh. Can't see any other big changes.

rodney trotter

They must have been doing grand to be leading at half time against a full Mayo side. Changing the entire team at half team was always going to be tough, as Mayo kept the same 15 until well into the second half apparently.

Don't think McDermott is suited for the 40 myself. Inside is his best position.

Western Blue

Agree with Myles's report on the game, certainly in the 1st half  we were tearing through the Mayo defense and should have 5 or 6 points up at half time. Our movement/tackling/winning dirty ball was very good and surprised a lot of Mayo supporters with that first half performance.  Jason McLoughlin had a very good game on Andy Moran and also Rory Dunne looked comfortable at full back. I think Mark Leddy played in midfield with Declan McKiernan against Aidan O'Shea and Jason Gibbons. Leddy and McKiernan were good in the loose but . caught no ball against O'Shea.
Mackey was excellent and Jack Brady was very prominent .Martin Dunne marked tightly . missed one free and should have scored an easy goal chance.
2nd half Mayo got a soft goal after Andy Moran out jumped our full back after 1 minute with the 2nd team on duty. Match over. James Reilly kicking the ball everywhere but to a Cavan man! 3rd choice keeper. Barry Reilly not strong enough and not fit in my opinion for a fast running game. John McCutchson is not fit/mobile as yet. It was obvious that the full back line for the 2nd half was never going to be good enough with the result Mayo walked in 3 more goals.  Looking back we had 3/4 really good chances for goals. Overall a good work out  No injuries to report

Itchy

Where was Gilsenan today so? and no Corr I see which must mean he's out for Fermanagh. O Mara is a more intelligent keeper with much more accurate kicks. However, unless Gilsenan is injured I would guess he'll keep his place.

Western Blue

In the 2nd half in Ballina Josh Hayes and Damien Barkey played   in the defense.  David Giveny was obliviously told to keep away from mid field and Aidan O'Shea and played with the lively Eugene Keating in a full forward line.

mylestheslasher

Thanks to Western Blue for filling in the blanks, so the teams we played were.

1st half
O Meara
McLoughlin
Dunne
Tighe
McEnroe
A Clarke
F Flanagan
D McKiernan
Leddy
M Reilly
J Brady
R Flanagan
Tierney
Dunne

2nd Half
Millar
Barkey
K Clarke
Hayes
Meehan
Podge
McCutcheon
D Reilly
Murray
B Reilly
M McKeever
N McDermott
Givney
Keating

Denn Forever

Someone asked earlier if the Cavan game was on tv.  From drici thread on  main board.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=19062.msg1239928#new

June 16th Cavan v Fermanagh 2-00pm   Mayo v Roscommon 4-00pm.  I assume its on RTE and BBC.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Yet missing Mackey of the first half team, twitter folk say he was our best player.

Westside

Heard a whisper this evening that Greg McGovern broke his foot while playing for Swad at the weekend. Would be a massive blow to the Minors if so, he's been excellent for us this year and they're already up against it v Monaghan. Swadman might be able to confirm or deny?

Dougal

i forgot to mention that westside. i saw him in town on saturday with the crutches.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Denn Forever

From HS.  I wonder when the definitive answer will be known?

Cavan supporters are concerned about the travel arrangements on the day of the game, but the county board is to meet this Thursday night to discuss the matter.

The Ulster council, Fermanagh county board and Enniskillen Gaels along with the Cavan board have been meeting to discuss the best alternatives for travelling supporters.

Cavan fans are expected to asked to travel in via the A4 (Newtownbutler road) on the day of the game.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...