Player Burnout

Started by darbyo, October 14, 2007, 05:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

There's an interesting article in the Sunday Times by Christy O'Connor about the effect of dropping the U21 championship. He points out that it could have the effect of allowing many players to leave gaelic games for lack of matches. Sorry but I don't know how to upload it, but it does raise some interesting points.

BennyHarp

I didnt see the article, was he supporting keeping the u21 competition? The value of the U21 competition is an interesting debate - I understand how it could lead to player burn out, but i firmly believe that the Tyrone team would not have developed to the stage they achieved a few years ago had they not played together for so long at u21 level. However, it could be argued that all the games they played is the reason behind all their injuries now!
That was never a square ball!!

darbyo

Yeah, he basically was supporting its retention. He argued restricting the players who can play U21 e.g. lads who have played at least one year on the senior team, and finding a more suitable time for it in the calendar. I think the idea that lads who have played senior for one year are no longer eligible for U21 (at county level) is a good one. It allows more guys the chance to play at inter county level while helping to alleviate the burden on the very talented