Are the GAA outpricing the common fan?

Started by From the Bunker, September 20, 2007, 12:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty88

I think the prices are grang. lets not for get, you only have to pay for a few games a year
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 02:43:10 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 20, 2007, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 02:30:27 PM
Gnevin, it's as much the principal as anything else. It's about respect. Most people care more about not being conned than the money. Look most people will not miss the €10 as you say, but if you multiply that by 4 (in a family) and again by 3  (matches)you could be out by €120. Not a fortune, but enough! Gnevin, you are lucky to be living in Dublin which curtails other costs and leaves you with just the cost of your ticket in the main.
Why would you multiply it by 3 ?
You where asked to play an extra 10er so 40 in total and for that you got a other game if you had of been interested .
Bunker pretend i'm giving you 80 euro , please tell me how you will entertain the 2 young ones and the missuses for 4 hours on that.

We've all seen how interested people have become in the extra game over the years, feck all give a damn, so spare me the 4 hours of entertainment, more like 1 and a Half of great entertainment (90% of the time)! Once again the money issue is in principal.
You've get into Croke at 3.15 to 3.00 for a 4 match leave at 6 . You've the prematch build up and the post match all part of the match day experience easly 4 hours . You still haven't spent my 80 euro!
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Gnevin on September 20, 2007, 03:08:38 PM
Gnevin, it's as much the principal as anything else. It's about respect. Most people care more about not being conned than the money. Look most people will not miss the €10 as you say, but if you multiply that by 4 (in a family) and again by 3  (matches)you could be out by €120. Not a fortune, but enough! Gnevin, you are lucky to be living in Dublin which curtails other costs and leaves you with just the cost of your ticket in the main.
You where asked to play an extra 10er so 40 in total and for that you got a other game if you had of been interested .
Bunker pretend i'm giving you 80 euro , please tell me how you will entertain the 2 young ones and the missuses for 4 hours on that.

We've all seen how interested people have become in the extra game over the years, feck all give a damn, so spare me the 4 hours of entertainment, more like 1 and a Half of great entertainment (90% of the time)! Once again the money issue is in principal.
You've get into Croke at 3.15 to 3.00 for a 4 match leave at 6 . You've the prematch build up and the post match all part of the match day experience easly 4 hours . You still haven't spent my 80 euro!

God, Gnevin your stretching your €80 worth, prematch, postmatch, you forgot the interval enterainment and gong for a piss at half time. Look Lynchboy gave a decent example. This is not really about getting examples it about respect and putting unwanted pressure on families and a professional demand on amateur players!

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 20, 2007, 02:46:12 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 20, 2007, 02:22:06 PM
No i want a list of family's who had to declare themself bankrupt after having to spend an extra 10 euro
While I personally have no problem paying 20, 35, 70 quid for tickets (in case he's reading , I still owe a Derry poster 15 quid for my All Ireland final ticket that he did so well to get me - will call in with the money next time I'm up pal, in the next couple of weeks).

The scenario as I mentioned prev, is when a family go to not just a single game but GAMES
2 adults, 2 kids - thats 6o quid per game - not mentioning the cost of food on such a road trip , petrol etc etc
thats just ONE game, a first rounder, if you were a donegal, tryone , cork, laois or dublin family man...multiply the number of games...that would pay for the back to school clothes , books and more...

OK the family can say no - they cant go as its too expensive, but is that what we want?
While ok for the single /childless person to pay, do you not see where the cumulative cost of multiple tickets for families is a bit steep?

(btw the travel to qualifiers etc easier for Dublin based folks too imo)
Ok Mr Cheapskate has decided not to go the GAA .As the GAA is too dear, Now Mrs Cheapskates is pissed off sitting in the house on Sunday sure the sun is cracking the stones . So MR ands MRS Cheapskate decide to go some where free , so they head to the beach.
Opps forgot about cost of petrol , oops kids want ice creams , oops kids are hungry time to buy a dinner , oops kids are bored  time to pay for a few goes on the bumper cars , buy a kite what ever ,oops the misses fancys a glass on wine , oops kids are hungry again time to buy chips .

Now only difference in this and the GAA is  Mr Cheapskate  had to build poxy sand castles for 4 hours instead of seeing his team win .
PS next week Mrs Cheapskate doesnt want to go the the beach she wants to go to paint balling /carting what ever
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 03:16:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 20, 2007, 03:08:38 PM

God, Gnevin your stretching your €80 worth, prematch, postmatch, you forgot the interval enterainment and gong for a piss at half time. Look Lynchboy gave a decent example. This is not really about getting examples it about respect and putting unwanted pressure on families and a professional demand on amateur players!
you mean 20 euro worth!
For me and a lot of people the Pre and Post match buzz is all part of a great GAA day out .
Please spend the 80 euro and entertain your family for 2/4 hours

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 20, 2007, 02:49:13 PM
[Bunker pretend i'm giving you 80 euro , please tell me how you will entertain the 2 young ones and the missuses for 4 hours on that.
apologies for interjecting - but thats quite easy btw
Blanch shopping centre - Cinema, video arcade (multiplex) , TGIF/Eddie Rockets for the kids and dad while mother goes mooching around the shops...

(though if it was my missus the 80 budget would be gone in 60 seconds as the film suggests)
Eddies 15 for the adults , 10 for the kids 50 euro . Cinema . 10 for tickets by 2 plus popcorn  20 euro + 15 oops you've blown your budget . You and the Misses better sit out side and not eat . Don't forget petrol money

From the Bunker

Gnevin, I still cannot see where you are getting the 4 hours of intertainment from. A game lasts max one and a half hours. Very few people go to the two matches anymore. Matchday in Croke Park with a double header often proves this. Anyway this is away from the main points.

You cannot be charging PROFESSIONAL prices to see AMATEUR players. Professional prices create an unfair expectation of their performance and skill, as they cannot give the full time that a professional can to tuning their skills and fitness.

The GAA is an Amateur organisation and for the community and Family. Once you abuse this through high ticket prices you run a risk of losing the foundation of the organisation.

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 03:35:27 PM
Gnevin, I still cannot see where you are getting the 4 hours of intertainment from. A game lasts max one and a half hours. Very few people go to the two matches anymore. Matchday in Croke Park with a double header often proves this. Anyway this is away from the main points.

You cannot be charging PROFESSIONAL prices to see AMATEUR players. Professional prices create an unfair expectation of their performance and skill, as they cannot give the full time that a professional can to tuning their skills and fitness.

The GAA is an Amateur organisation and for the community and Family. Once you abuse this through high ticket prices you run a risk of losing the foundation of the organisation.

Bunker answer my question please .
Your the  only person i know with this expectation , i've never heard this anywhere else , your talking crap .

20 euro is not professional prices in anyones book, you can get into the league for less, kids for free , if you want to be a cheapskate fine but don't say it's the GAA's fault

In a very successfuly senior year you will spend
20 *2 =50  + 30 +35  +45 +70= 165
The super dubs do the double this year  so i',m up to 330
330 for 12 games!! and Liam and Sam spend the winter by the Liffey. That would be some crack

I was offered a ticket to the RWC at face for 280 or 50 euro less, now thats professional prices

lynchbhoy

Gnevin,
I could have said two DVD's , a take away mcdonalds and Blach shopping centre is only 3 or 4 miles from my house - petrols hardly an issue - and its going to be likewise for people all over the country going to their nearest main town with its shops & retail parks and fast food outlets/cinema's etc.
(BTW 80 for tickets going to croker PLUS the price of food - a trip to cinema/shopping and going to restaurant/eddie rockets/TGIF is still cheaper unless you oder the BBQ beluga caviar ;)).

this issue here is that we, the people of the GAA , should be trying to encourage supporters and their families to come to the games and get interested in them.
NOT to be fleeced. IT will still have to be a cost towards tickets, but most def not the price that is being paid today.
I see you are asking about price of games in LOI and ni soccer. Why compare to others as a benchmark of value?
Our value should be placed upon enticing customers.
Ben dunne wasnt far wrong, his low cost, high volue strategy made him and his empire rich - even when times were bad economically.

This is not about generating income for the GAA, as long term these high prices will turn people off.
Its about generating interest and larger attendences.
If I had kids, I'd much rather bring them to watch an intercounty game anywhere in leinster/ulster than go off to blanch amongst all the other white trash and fight for places in mcdonalds and wade through half eaten popcorn in the cinema...
The tickets dont have to be so expensive, so if not then why not reduce them a bit ?

full back

gnevin
I guess this is why you were on the non-gaa section asking about prices for LOI & IL games?
There goes that argument regarding the price of those games. I see you want to know the price of the finals now ::)

From the Bunker

Have to agree with Lynchboy that the GAA have been content with upping the price and balancing it out against the fans lost. The cheapest trick ( or should that be the dearest trick) this year was double heading semi-finals with quarterfinals and charging semifinal prices, often not offering the same code in the double header. Look the value for early round games is pretty good at €20. It's just the cost when it gets to the business end of the championship.

From the Bunker

Quote from: full back on September 20, 2007, 03:57:44 PM
gnevin
I guess this is why you were on the non-gaa section asking about prices for LOI & IL games?
There goes that argument regarding the price of those games. I see you want to know the price of the finals now ::)

Came across ticket prices for LOI and IL cup final games and posted them on the non-gaa section.

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 07:56:43 PM
Quote from: full back on September 20, 2007, 03:57:44 PM
gnevin

Came across ticket prices for LOI and IL cup final games and posted them on the non-gaa section.
What's wrong with getting to know the facts . I was interested to compare the two ,even if it is apples and oranges .

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 20, 2007, 03:53:23 PM
Gnevin,
I could have said two DVD's , a take away mcdonalds and Blach shopping centre is only 3 or 4 miles from my house - petrols hardly an issue - and its going to be likewise for people all over the country going to their nearest main town with its shops & retail parks and fast food outlets/cinema's etc.
(BTW 80 for tickets going to croker PLUS the price of food - a trip to cinema/shopping and going to restaurant/eddie rockets/TGIF is still cheaper unless you oder the BBQ beluga caviar ;)).

this issue here is that we, the people of the GAA , should be trying to encourage supporters and their families to come to the games and get interested in them.
NOT to be fleeced. IT will still have to be a cost towards tickets, but most def not the price that is being paid today.
I see you are asking about price of games in LOI and ni soccer. Why compare to others as a benchmark of value?
Our value should be placed upon enticing customers.
Ben dunne wasnt far wrong, his low cost, high volue strategy made him and his empire rich - even when times were bad economically.

This is not about generating income for the GAA, as long term these high prices will turn people off.
Its about generating interest and larger attendences.
If I had kids, I'd much rather bring them to watch an intercounty game anywhere in leinster/ulster than go off to blanch amongst all the other white trash and fight for places in mcdonalds and wade through half eaten popcorn in the cinema...
The tickets dont have to be so expensive, so if not then why not reduce them a bit ?

When did the GAA start controlling the price of food? The GAA control one thing the price of tickets which is very cheap.
Lynchboy sine your being "fleeced" at 20 Euro a ticket how much would you find acceptable?

A ticket for a Leinster final in 95 was 12 punts which is about 15 Euro (Going on memory , please correct me if you can).
In 12 years 15 Euro has been added to that which is little more than 1 Euro a year . Now considering we are now one of the richest country in the world that isnt a major increase , In 95 you could buy a 5'ers worth of petrol .

Lynchboy\Bunker please tell me what you consider fair Terrace , Stand prices for the games this year ie
Leinster 1/4 and 1/2
Leinster Final
AI 1/4
AI 1/2
AI Final

Mike Sheehy

I think there should be a subsidy for Kerry fans. Its very expensive attending all these All -Ireland finals . Perhaps we can claim squatters rights and work out some deal with croker or maybe  start up a (Kerry) Croke park residents association...what do ye think ?

Serious answers only  :D