GAA ALLSTARS 2007 ????

Started by SLIGONIAN, August 31, 2007, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Personnally I think nominating players for positions they don't play in is devaluing the All-Stars.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 27, 2007, 11:26:52 AM
Personnally I think nominating players for positions they don't play in is devaluing the All-Stars.

Hmmm... yes and no. Approaching it from the purely 'picking a team' perspective, if a player merits inclusion, even out of position, then so be it, where the whole might be greater than the sum of the parts.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Ciaran Whelan is bound to get midfield - Dublin will have to get 2 or 3 ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Whelan getting an All-Star would be a big surprise om, I feel. Dublin flattered to deceive, but weren't up to it when it came down to the nitty-gritty. Neither were we, and it's only a feeling I have that Cavanagh will get one, and I won't be particularly put out if he doesn't, but the journoes like him   ;)

orangeman

I agree with you Fear, but where are the most papers sold ? Dublin or Tyrone ( Moy ) ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on September 27, 2007, 12:01:19 PM
I agree with you Fear, but where are the most papers sold ? Dublin or Tyrone ( Moy ) ?

Tut, tut, om, are you suggesting for one minute that there are palms to be greased in our irrreproachable and inestimable capital? Outrageous!!

Let's just call it a genuflection to class  ;)

Springfield

Murphy (Meath)
Marc O'Se (Kerry)
K Mc Cloy (Derry)
Conor Gormley (Tyrone)
Tomas O'Se (Kerry)
Aidan O'Mahony Kerry)
Barry Cahill (Dublin)
Darragh O'Se (Kerry)
Nicholas Murphy (Cork)
Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)
Paul Galvin (Kerry)
Stephen Bray (Meath)
Colm Cooper (Kerry)
Paddy Bradley (Derry)
Tom Freeman (Monaghan)

From a derry perspective I think Mc Cloy was by far and away the best full back in Ireland this year. He never had to mark anyone with real pace which suited him. Very commanding on the edge of the square.
Paddy Bradley also has to get an award ahead of Donaghy. Two easy goals in the AI Final shouldnt merit your inclusion. Think this is Paddys 5th nomination too so think this will sway things in favour of him

No doubt there will be at least one or two shocks as always but

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 27, 2007, 11:56:54 AM
Whelan getting an All-Star would be a big surprise om, I feel. Dublin flattered to deceive, but weren't up to it when it came down to the nitty-gritty. Neither were we, and it's only a feeling I have that Cavanagh will get one, and I won't be particularly put out if he doesn't, but the journoes like him   ;)

Fear an Srath Ban - and when did Cavanagh dominate games to deserve an All-Star ahead of him???

Fear ón Srath Bán

I think Cavanagh will get an All-Star DUBSFORSAM1, but I don't necessarily believe that he deserves it ahead of Whelan or Nicholas Murphy. But for me, Whelan didn't show quite enough this year either for Dublin -- he faded too often. At least Cavanagh was consistent, with himself and Gormley our most consistent players through all games. I think Murphy is probably the most deserving recipient (along with Dara Ó'Sé), but the final will count against him, but I wouldn't begrudge Whelan were he to pick it up.

his holiness nb

In fairness to Dublin, bar the first Meath game, they won with a few points to spare in every game up to the semi where they were narrowly beaten by an excellent Kerry side.
I'd say more so met a team superior to anyone in the country rather than flattered to deceive.
Remember the Gaaboard posters themselves overwhelmingly voted them the second best side in the country after this years championships.

No consolation mind you  :(
Ask me holy bollix

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair points your holiness, but when did the All-Stars ever involve predictable logic? ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 27, 2007, 03:53:22 PM
Fair points your holiness, but when did the All-Stars ever involve predictable logic? ;)

You got me there  ;)

I would say what difference do the all stars make anyway, they dont replace an all-ireland medal, but I suppose tell that to the players nominated, some of who might never get a sniff of an AI medal.
Ask me holy bollix

Hound

I could name 10 better intercounty midfielders than Sean Cavanaugh.

I couldnt name one better intercounty half forward than Sean Cavanaugh.

Constant problem for Mickey Harte is that the best half forward in the country is also probably the best midfielder in Tyrone. If Cavanaugh had been an Armagh man, for example, he would have played far more games in his best position.

bombidal

PADDY POWER BETTING

2007 FOOTBALL ALL STARS

Goalkeepers

6/5        Brendan Murphy

5/2        Diarmuid Murphy

13/8      Stephen Cluxton

Full-backs

1/950    Marc O'Se

1/6        Graham Canty

8/15      Conor Gormley

3/2        Kevin McCloy