Galway v Kerry Minor SF

Started by GY Joe, August 20, 2007, 08:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GY Joe

A seriously good game I thought with some super footballers on show. In contrast to the senior game it was open and exciting..  I thought Galway were blessed to be level pegging at half time what with Barry John Walsh kicking points that had to be seen to be believed and Eamonn Kennedy doing likewise. No Wides at all in the first half.

Second half was pure joy from a Galway perspective, outscoring Kerry 9 ponts to 6 and the manner of the victory will stand to those lads big time.

Laois or Derry in the final, both supoosed to be great little tems should set up a cracking finale... ;D

mouview

Agreed, Joe. Great display from Alan Mulholland's team. It looked bad during the first half when Kerry couldn't miss and Galway were getting the run-around at 2 and 3. However they regrouped well for the second half and they had no shortage of leaders when it was asked of them. No. 11 Tommy Walsh got MOTM but any one from wing-backs O'Doherty (brother of senior keeper Paul), Tommy Fahy (a serious prospect), midfielders Conroy and Griffin (worked like a horse) and forwards Reddington or Martin (who really showed for the ball when it was needed in the crucial stage of the second half) could have been chosen while wing-forward John O'Brien more than justified his selection also. The subs too did the business with O'Mahoney and Burke each landing a great point. The sideline got the calls correct though belatedly; Forde should have been moved at or before half-time while forwards Greaney and Ryan (bit of a head-down merchant like Matt Clancy) could have been replaced sooner. Still, anytime Kerry are beaten is welcome and Galway football can feel a little better about itself this morning. This performance will draw a good following for the final I reckon.

myball22

Agreed, most enjoyable game. Thought they were up against it as Kerry didn't know how to miss and that full forward looked like the biggest 18 year old I ever saw and a very good footballer aswell. They got the goals at a critical time when the tide seemed to be going against them. The two midfielders were excellent throughout. It has been a long time since we dominated midfield in Croke Park and both full forward Martyn and Reddington played very well also. The future looks a little brighter this morning. The last time Galway minors played in an All-Ireland final 8 went on to win senior All-Ireland medals though in general you could only expect one or two to make the grade at senior. Well done to all.

blanketattack

Quote from: myball22 on August 20, 2007, 10:12:58 AMthat full forward looked like the biggest 18 year old I ever saw and a very good footballer aswell.

The full forward Barry-John is only 16 or 17. He's minor again next year.

magpie seanie

Well done to Galway. Would never have though they'd go this far the day I saw them in Carrick but that's minors for you. Martyn looked a special player to me that day and it seems he has played vital roles the two days since.