Gaa training, gym, diet and injury advice

Started by tintin25, August 09, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jungle

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 10, 2007, 11:39:19 AM
Any dual players out there? How do yous manage training and games? Train Tues and Thurs, play 11 aside astroturf on Wed and usually a game at the weekends. Thinking of picking up the small ball again, how do dual clubs organise their training???

thing of the past unless you are single and want to stay that way.

Davitt Man

Lads

With all this time devoted to training, when do ye fit in the few pints. What are peoples drinking habbits like during the summer. For myself i have missed every bank holiday weekend untill last weekend, all the other bank holiday weekends i have had a match or else i had an important game coming up. I live in dublin and all my mates would be going out those weekends but i had to miss them but i know i have to do it if i want to stay fit

Just wondering what your views on drink is, would many drink mid week before a league game?

AbbeySider

Quote from: tintin25 on August 10, 2007, 11:24:05 AM
Lads, about 3 months ago I fell on my Knee during a training session on hard ground. It was a little painful at the time and there was bruising above/below the knee. I'd say after about 2 weeks the brusing was basically gone but since then whilst not in pain or anything, my knee (Just below the centre) has never felt quite right. I've been playing matches albeit at a low grade and heading to gym without any fuss but now and again still feel a twinge in it. Went to the Doctor and he reckoned that it prob just inflamation and that nothing broken. An xray confirmed this but why do I feel it's still not 100%?? Surely an xray wouldn't pick up other damage that perhaps a scan would? Maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing!

It could be a touch of knee tendonitis resulting from the fall. I would ask the doc or physio and maybe get some anti-biotics to clear it up.
(Thats if it is tendonitis)

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 10, 2007, 03:11:27 PM
Lads

With all this time devoted to training, when do ye fit in the few pints. What are peoples drinking habbits like during the summer. For myself i have missed every bank holiday weekend untill last weekend, all the other bank holiday weekends i have had a match or else i had an important game coming up. I live in dublin and all my mates would be going out those weekends but i had to miss them but i know i have to do it if i want to stay fit

Just wondering what your views on drink is, would many drink mid week before a league game?

Personally I dont play at the highest level or anything but I would stay off the beer on the week of a big match. Drinking is fine in moderation so long as you train and run it out of you and eat properly.

I saty well away from shorts because they really mess with me but I fing a few pints of beer sound. Guinness is way too heavy though.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 10, 2007, 05:39:37 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on August 10, 2007, 03:11:27 PM
Lads

Personally I dont play at the highest level or anything but I would stay off the beer on the week of a big match. Drinking is fine in moderation so long as you train and run it out of you and eat properly.

I saty well away from shorts because they really mess with me but I fing a few pints of beer sound. Guinness is way too heavy though.

agree with Abbeysidder shorts have to be completely taken out of the equation during the season.
theres no problem with a few pints the night after a game.
would usually leave it at that though until after the next game.

INDIANA

i'd give it 2 years and you'll hit the wall with that training regime. not  a snowballs chance in hell you'll keep that up. absolutely no rest incorporated in there. you may train a lot but i doubt you train well some nights. unles you're a student who is able to stay in bed until 12 the next morning -there is no way you'll keep that up .

Jinxy

Quote from: rolloutking on August 11, 2007, 12:04:45 AM

Last year i got a hurling stick broke over my knee. I was fine at the time and that night but the day after i was in agony and couldnt walk for a few days. I went to the doc to get it checked out and i had bruising of the joint behind the kneecap and everytime i bent my knee the bruising was rubbing against the back of the kneecap and causing me pain. The reason it wasnt sore untill the day after was that the bruising hadnt developed yet. It took a good fortnight before i was right but for a month or so afterwards i stil got the odd pain after tough sessions.

Iv read all of the posts on this thread and i sence that some people may be telling a few lies to make it seem like they are training machines. A lot of you are talking about weights but i havn't heard any mention of supplements apart from one lad talking about protein. If some of you are doing the weights training that you say you are then you must have very high pain barriers because without any supplements your muscle fibres would not have had time to expand and repair to allow you to train without pain. I have found that i could not train three days in a row at a high quality without talking some creatine. By the third day i was hardly able to bench and i wasnt able to do full arm chin ups.

Anyways im a hurler and handballer and i find that one complements the other with the handball keeping my reactions times down and the hurling giving my the fitness i need. Bearing in mind that this is the handball off season this is my weekly routine.

If you are training the same muscle groups at high-intensity 3 days in a row I think you need to seriously revisit your programme. You will come a cropper at some stage. Ask yourself is it really necessary? Creatine will maybe give you a small bit of extra available energy during a training session but plays no role in muscle repair. While protein is involved in muscle maintenance and repair, it is readily available in dietary form. Your body needs rest so don't fall into the trap some people do where they think that chugging protein will have the muscles right as rain and ready for punishment the next day. If your diet is rubbish by all means take protein supplements but long term they are a poor substitute for eating the right food. I am baffled at the amount of lads in the GAA taking protein supplements, eating rubbish and not even training properly. What do they think happens to the surplus protein the muscle doesn't need? Not saying this is true in your case, but as you are primarily involved in 2 skill based sports I don't think killing yourself pumping iron is necessary. I apologise if I've picked any of this up wrong as I realise you are responding to other peoples posts so I may be taking it out of context.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Sorry about that so, I picked you up wrong. My favourite pre-event meal is scrambled eggs and wholemeal toast a few hours beforehand. Then plenty of water and some fruit to gnaw on in the run-up to the game. Some people get squirly stomachs before games though so a lot of it is down to individual preferences and what people are comfortable eating.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rolloutking on August 11, 2007, 12:04:45 AM
Iv read all of the posts on this thread and i sence that some people may be telling a few lies to make it seem like they are training machines.

In fairness rolloutking, your training program is the first one not to include a break or night off. All the programs ive read in the thread have at least one if not two nights off. Your practically using the same muscle groups 7 nights a week!

I tried creatine last winter for a while and found it didnt give me any extra energy or stamina in a cardio capacity. It made me heavier, and it filled my muscles with water, made me look bulkier, and may have helped me bench a litttle more but for the most part I found it to be shite. I only take the protein after the gym and sometimes after a heavy training session if my muscles are in bits.

What kind of diet or supplements are you on to keep going 7 nights a week? Im wrecked after 3 days and often need a break on Thurs night and at least one rest day over the weekend. That said I eat very well. Proper dinners and good eating habits at proper times and no junk food but I still dont have that much energy.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rolloutking on August 13, 2007, 10:59:00 PM
I also am cautious of taking things that im not fully sure what effect they have or more importantly what is in them. I just dont think its worth the risk with random drug testing.

I know what you mean by being cautious but most creatine and protein supplements are safe. As far as I know Ceatine isnt on the banned substances list. Mostly anabolic Steriods, of which there are many variants, as well as amphetamines are banned.

I have the GAA guidelines and stuff somewhere about what is Ok to take and what is banned. Il try and find it and post it up.

On that note I cant understand any GAA plaers taking creatine. Its expensive shite in my opinion and only suitable to rugby players and body builders. There is a few produxcts on the market that are not so safe. EG Mass muscle fuels and things like that you need to be cautious about

AbbeySider

I found it...

Here is a list of the banned substances in the GAA. This is the Official GAA Guide and is fairly comprehensive.

http://www.gaa.ie/files/gaa_official_guide2003.pdf

from page 144 tells you... PROHIBITED CLASSES OF SUBSTANCES etc

Then it goes on to describe how much of what can be found in your urine...

page 152 gives your a summary of whats banned in set categories.
The whole guide is worth a read, its fairly informative.

( I had originally pasted whats banned but there isnt much point when your can read fro yourself from page 144 of the above PDF)

AbbeySider

Quote from: tintin25 on October 19, 2007, 11:13:26 AM
Right, seemed to have lost the original thread on this, so here we go again! My knee is still playing up, 3 or so months having fallen on hard ground. It's not really painful or anything but I always get a mild discomfort in it from time to time....can feel it when I'm jogging or that. Ya's reckon I should go for a scan? Many of ya's still training with your clubs?

Sorry Tintin, no real need to start a whole new thread. A similar question was asked on this thread somewhere...

See the answers to rolloutkings question about his knee.

But I reckon it could be tendonitis or something... I used to get it from road running. Similay feeling in the knee from what you describe.

tintin25

No probs AS. Aye, not sure what's up with it. Think the best thing to do is get a scan or something and go from there.

AbbeySider

Quote from: tintin25 on October 19, 2007, 11:46:25 AM
No probs AS. Aye, not sure what's up with it. Think the best thing to do is get a scan or something and go from there.

good call, do a google search for patellar tendinitis to see what im talking about.

The knee is a funny one. I have a thing referred to as "weather forcasting knee", when there is changes in atmospheric pressure my knee does be killing me. Its mad...

Davitt Man

Lads

Most of ye are either finished playing or just about to finish with the club this year. What do ye do for the winter to keep in shape, gym, soccer, rugby? Has anyone got any good routines to stay fitish over the winter