Antrim hurling...I am right in thinking?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, July 27, 2007, 09:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

....that Antrim in 1986 registered the highest championship points total against Cork in the 'recent past' - 24 - in the All Ireland semifinal - or has there been a higher total...???

A Quinn Martin Production

Possibly...I remember the match well...a "crowd" of approx 1500-2000 in Croke Park.  No TV coverage.  Final score Cork 7-11 Antrim 1-24.  These days Antrim would have had about 3 penalties
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hurler on the Bitch

I was there too, didn't see you though - or was that you on the far side? The Sunday Game did a two minute "also today" that night. Sean McGuinness was interviewed and his accent must have been a joy to behold in teh 26 "hurled the shurts ov der bacs are lads did." Pity about Cork's seven goals though - but 11 points must have been a poor return for them in recent times also?

One of my favourite McGuinessisms came from the '91 semi against The Cats (how did we lose that one??)  SMG "analysing" for RTE describing Dessie Donnelly's goal "Dessie jinks one way, then the other and WANG!!, hits the back of the net"...or did he say "onion bag"!!  I used to love him coming on the Sunday Game and talking about the Antrim hurlers "knocking their pans in" in training :D

Hurler...in response to your original question, I've only been able to check back to 1970 but in the AI final in 1972 Kilkenny scored 3-24 against Cork.  Biggest score agin' Cork (I think) was Tipp's 4-22 in 1987 Muster final (AET) (though I might be wrong here)

Hurler on the Bitch

Thanks 4 that - if I'm not mistaken, the 1970 final was 80 minutes? Given that - and Tipp's 4-22 in 1987 - Antrim's 24 points in 1986 would still be the highest points total... Show's you though... 24 points - the forwards must have been on fire (pity about the backs) ps 1989, I was 10 yards behind big Patterson on the Hill - (fecking year of Hillsborough and something similar was on the cards) when the ball slipped thru his hands to the net ..Cue destruction! Talking of the squash on the Hill - good thing that Antrim capitulated so early as the pressure was eased by people heading to the pubs... Oh memories..

Hurler...what about the minors on Sat?? 31 point defeat...Jeez ???

Hurler on the Bitch

Was at the game alright.. funny thing was that it was fairly even up until the referee threw the ball in. No I jest. Let's be realistic. Sambo and Woody may have inherited not a bad bunch for a couple of years, but we were exposed badly on Saturday. All that talk of "not a great Kilkenny side" was gumph - these lads have been hurling for their colleges for years at a standard far in excess from what are boys could even comprehend. It was the old problem of Antrim taking two seconds to get the ball to hand - while the Cats had the ball to hand in a fraction of that time and were sprinting off towards goal. I despaired on Saturday as a total collapse was on the cards from the second minute. It's hard to sit in Croker and hear the tuts of the other supporters at Antrim. Drawing board needed again. I think that we have to leave the Ulster championship behind as - to be truthful - Down and Derry are not helping us. In 1979, our boys got to the Leinster minor final... could be something!

While it would pain me, from a hurling developmental and promotional point of view, to "abandon" Down, Derry and with Armagh putting a lot of work in...with purely an Antrim head on we need to go to Leinster, minor, U21 and senior.  Otherwise we'll always be in the limbo of being too good for the Christy Ring and nowhere near good enough for the McCarthy. :(

Hurler on the Bitch

Absolutey right... never mind limbo - I'd call it pergotory..

gaagaa

Lads don't get too carried away with Antrim hurling - we'd all love to see Liam come up North to Antrim, but its not that long ago you were behind both Down and Derry.  I think the ulster club hurling  league needs to be streamlined and be the main league for Ulster hurling, with only the genuine teams in it.  Let the county players play in all league matches - Sean Boylan's Meath team played for their clubs - he said it was better than challenge matches as county players ususlly marked weach other at club level anyway.  There needs to be a real sea of change in Antrim, bringing county matches outside Casement, etc. because if the footballers get a sniff of glory the youngsters will lean towards football, apart from the Glens.  Hopefully next year will see some real progress for Antrim hurling.

PS congratulations to our (Derry) under 21's had a great result this evening in the under 21 final - its a boost when we really needed it.