Road to be named after GAA star

Started by Lecale2, July 26, 2007, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddypastit

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

A Quinn Martin Production

The inhabitants of an entire continent are named after the Antrim hurling manager :P
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

rrhf

Mike
In Kerry do they still absolutely worship Micko for his achievements with the team or would they feel it was more the players.  When he was Kerry manager I seem to remember him, Spilliane et all pictured in white vests and y fronts prior to an all ireland final, this was before sponsorship was allowed.  They were I believe advertising persil or daz and a resultant media uproar  was vociferously defended by many of the Kerry greats.  It begs the question -  it and the Jack O Connorgate stories.  Did Kerrymen receive big endorsements in their smalls at the height of their powers and did Mick get paid within his own county? 

Kerry Mike

Micko would still be well received in most parts but the younger generation probably would have no time for him. I think he stayed on too long and was too loyal to his core group of players. We suffered in the early 90's because of this due to lack of talent coming through and there would be a lot of feeling about that. Of course Micko had a great group of players who were dedicated to winning but he still had to get them fit and mentally right after some of the yearly winter excesses, and he was consistantly able to do that, they would have been a strong minded bunch espeically in latter years so it took a good man to control them and get the best out of them.

As regards the advert it was for Bendix washing machines, I believe there was no direct payment but a contribution to the teams holiday fund, if I am not mistaken it was 1981 the year of the 4 in a row and they went on a round the world trip which would have been expensive at the time.

Micko did not receive payment from the county board only for milage, its still the same today except the manager as Jack has stated gets his phone paid for as well.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

5 Sams

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 27, 2007, 02:25:37 PM

As regards the advert it was for Bendix washing machines, I believe there was no direct payment but a contribution to the teams holiday fund, if I am not mistaken it was 1981 the year of the 4 in a row and they went on a round the world trip which would have been expensive at the time.

P Sé has a copy of this ad framed on the wall of his pub in Ventry....I'm sure them boys still get stick over it :D
The Aristocrat Years

rrhf

I remember reading that.... was it the indo or the sunday press.  Id have been 6 at the time.  It caused massive ructions in the GAA and in a 6 year olds GAA head.  I suppose spillane spent that much time on the ground in the 1980 AIF he needed a washing machine to get the grass out  ;)