Armagh's Management had poor day at the office ..

Started by Long time dead, July 08, 2007, 07:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: corn02 on July 09, 2007, 12:17:52 PM
Thought he was very poor against Donegal to be fair. Agreed about the bitching and I am guilty of it to. McConville was awful yesterday but the fact that he has done so much for Armagh means he escapes ridicule.

Are you sure we are talking about the same game here corn ???

twotwocharlie

the game is over .we are out . lets give the lad a break. one final point on joe . all ireland semi final v tryone two points up six mins to go and he takes of his captain .crazzzzzy.

full back

Quote from: twotwocharlie on July 09, 2007, 12:29:08 PM
the game is over .we are out . lets give the lad a break. one final point on joe . all ireland semi final v tryone two points up six mins to go and he takes of his captain .crazzzzzy.

Aye that's it 22, lets give the lad a break & get stuck into his Da!

bcarrier

Kerry Mike's comment on other thread is probably right. Kieran Donaghy finished Armagh last year.

This group of footballers owes the Armagh supporter or wider GAA audience absolutely nothing. They havent always been my favourite team - didnt like the  "falling" on opposition players/ knees in back type stuff - but all in all a much more honest footballing team than their Tyrone neighbours.

No county has any god given right to all ireland/Ulster success and after a period of such dominance a while in the wilderness will follow. Players of the quality of Cross lads, Marsden,McGrane, McGeeney and Stevie just dont turn up at the same time .

naka

cant argue with the sentiment that armagh management were too conservative yesterday, but I feel that if grimley and mc geeney were to come on board as a management duo, alittle tinkering might allow us to move forward again, clarke and mallon will benefit from a year out of football to treat their injuries, dyas has the makings of a good player as has lavery, the big decisions that have to be made are who is to play in the half forward line, mor should stay but stephen and paddy are not good enough and dont carry a scoring threat, oisin also has lost his ability to score therefore forker should get his chance in the league as should toal , I also feel that aaron should move forward and allow dyas to take his place,
am disappointed but feel that we are not that far away

GPA not OK

My feeling is that you are a little deluded Naka.

Take McGrane, McConville and McNulty out and you loose your most experienced players.

Take out McGeeney and you loose the beating heart of the team.

These men are currently irreplaceable given the panel available. A couple of years in the wilderness would probably be right.

dexter

Although he did a lot of hard grafting MOR had the most crucial miss of the day when he ballooned one wide from 20yds instead of chipping it over. This would have put Armagh 3 up when they were in control. This along with free-kicks missed by Oisin & Aaron gave Derry the heart to keep pegging away through Bradley's frees. Its a thin line between victory & defeat think of all the teams who Armagh turned over in the last 5 minutes to snatch draws or wins eg Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh. Manys the time Cathal O'Rourke, John McEntee, Brian Mallon, Ronan Clarke or Oisin got the late crucial scores. Steven Kernan got 2 chances and put them over in the 2nd half. Others had chances and missed.

corn02

GPA, character is not always triumphant over talent.

Full back, indeed. Except for his point at the start of the second half he was poor in Ballybofey.

armawman

It is difficult to understand the criticism of Stephen Kernan. He scored two excellent points yesterday. For the first point, he created loads of space for himself by sidestepping the Derry defender. The problem for Armagh was that they couldn't get enough space to shoot, so any player like Stephen who can create space like this is certainly worth his place on the team. The second point was also a great effort from distance.

Armagh only scored nine points in total and Stephen scored two of the best of them, so what's the problem? He is only a new member of the championship team, so what do people expect from him ? Do they expect him to score five or six points? This year Armagh have needed scoring forwards, but when a fellah like Stephen comes along and scores a few great points, some supporters slag him off. He plays in the half forward line so two points in a game is a very good return from a half forward.

Supporters are meant to get behind the team and management. If everyone roared Stephen on and encouraged him and built up his confidence, I'm certain that he would score even more. Remember he comes from very good stock, his father was a superb forward and Aaron is also excellent. Stephen was brilliant during the Under 21 All Ireland and Peter Rafferty had great faith in him.

And anyway, he's obviously made of stern stuff because despite the criticism he has received he proved his doubters wrong with two great scores yesterday. Fair play to you Stephen.   

Tyrone Dreamer

Dont think you's should be to critical of Joe Kernan who has kept the team close to the top for 4-5 years despite many limitations. I couldnt believe how many Armagh fans had convinced themselves after a narrow defeat to Donegal that they were in the top 3 teams in Ireland. In reality Armagh have struggled this year and with a few injuries didnt look capable of going to far. I think the myth that Armagh cant be beaten in matches were it is close going into the last 10 minutes has been cruelly exposed over the last few years. They are a good team at hanging in in matches and thus are involved in many close matches and when against inexperienced teams they inevitably win. However in the big matches or against the bigger teams they have been knocked out on quite a few occasions:
Derry yesterday
Tyrone 05
Fermanagh 04
Tyrone 03
2000 v Kerry
2001 v Galway
I think its lazy journalism by Spillane and co. Armagh are a good team at winning close matches but this talk that the pundits come out with making them out to be unbeatable is wrong. From a Tyrone perspective I hope that yesterday doesnt show our victory against Donegal was meaningless as they are a lot worse than 1st thought. Armagh can come back from this but I dont think any realistic supporter can expect an All Ireland in the next 2 years no matter who the manager is. The newer guys coming in will need time to adjust to the big games.

bigpaul

Quote from: twotwocharlie on July 09, 2007, 12:29:08 PM

Factualy wrong twotwocharlie, Armagh weren't two points up!!!

Armamike

QuoteDont think you's should be to critical of Joe Kernan who has kept the team close to the top for 4-5 years despite many limitations. I couldnt believe how many Armagh fans had convinced themselves after a narrow defeat to Donegal that they were in the top 3 teams in Ireland. In reality Armagh have struggled this year and with a few injuries didnt look capable of going to far. I think the myth that Armagh cant be beaten in matches were it is close going into the last 10 minutes has been cruelly exposed over the last few years. They are a good team at hanging in in matches and thus are involved in many close matches and when against inexperienced teams they inevitably win. However in the big matches or against the bigger teams they have been knocked out on quite a few occasions:
Derry yesterday
Tyrone 05
Fermanagh 04
Tyrone 03
2000 v Kerry
2001 v Galway
I think its lazy journalism by Spillane and co. Armagh are a good team at winning close matches but this talk that the pundits come out with making them out to be unbeatable is wrong. From a Tyrone perspective I hope that yesterday doesnt show our victory against Donegal was meaningless as they are a lot worse than 1st thought. Armagh can come back from this but I dont think any realistic supporter can expect an All Ireland in the next 2 years no matter who the manager is. The newer guys coming in will need time to adjust to the big games.

Tyrone  Dreamer, true Armagh have been beaten in a number of tight encounters, and some very high profile ones, but the above are only a small percentage of the games Armagh played in and won since 1999 by the narrowest of scorelines. have never done big scorelines like Tyrone!
That's just, like your opinion man.

orangeman

By the sounds of Big Joe today, he could still be in the seat for next year ! What do you think ?

corn02

Honestly, I would be gutted Orangeman. If the players are retiring as expected I would love a new manger to oversee a complete change, preferably Grimley.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 09, 2007, 11:32:06 PM
Stalement if Joe stays and God help us if John Rafferty takes over as the anointed one!

I thought J Rafferty was supposed to be a great yoke TYP's ???
Was there not a fair bit of excitement around the orchard with his coming
on board?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann