Laois v Galway

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 28, 2007, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Not much news yet on this one apart from that Fergal Moore, Ger Farrager, Fergal Healy and Mark Kerins are all rated various shades of doubtful for Galway.

Laois team is

LAOIS (SHC v Galway) - P Mullaney; C Fitzpatrick, C Healy, C Dunne; Joe Phelan, M Whelan, M McEvoy; J Fitzpatrick (capt), S Dollard; J Brophy, J Young, JJ McHugh; T Fitzgerald, W Hyland, P Russell.

The Real Laoislad

Laois haven't a hope
THE END...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

Loughnane includes four debutants

Ger Loughnane
29 June 2007

Ger Loughnane's first championship selection as Galway hurling manager is notable for the inclusion of four debutants.

Goalkeeper Colm Callanan, centre back and former All-Ireland minor winning captain John Lee, midfielder Eoin Lynch and left half forward Iarla Tannion will make their championship bows against Laois in Saturday's All-Ireland hurling qualifier at O'Moore Park.

Also included in a new-look Galway side are Alan Kerins at right half forward and Eugene Cloonan, who returns to the full forward position. Diarmuid Cloonan is named at full back, but there is no place for former All-Star Kevin Broderick.

Galway (SH v Laois): C Callanan; D Joyce, D Cloonan, D Collins; D Hardiman, J Lee, G Mahon; E Lynch, D Tierney; A Kerins, D Forde, I Tannion; N Healy, E Cloonan, D Hayes

GalwayBayBoy

Few players out injured including the four in the first post and Shane Kavanagh and Tony Og Regan.

Anyway notable that Callanan is in goals. Don't think he played at all in the league and Galway used 3 goalies during the league.

David Collins in the corner although I guess only because of those out injured.

Diarmuid Cloonan probably in the same situation.

Eoin Lynch gets a chance in midfield.

David Forde still hanging around there.

bottlethrower7

as I said in the other thread, what the story with the keeper? Why not those used in the league?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on June 29, 2007, 11:28:43 AM
as I said in the other thread, what the story with the keeper? Why not those used in the league?

Well Liam Donoghue got the bullet.

James Skehill the recent and very promising minor goalie is injured.

Craughwell's Aidan Ryan played most of the league games but seems to have lost his place.

bottlethrower7

Skehill was an excellent minor but looked uncomfortable to me when I saw him in the league this year. I also thought his temperment looked a little questionable in the Fitzgibbon cup final. Lads on here were saying that Ryan would be the keeper come championship time. I hadn't seen enough of him play to have any strong opinion one way or the other. Seems a bit harsh on Donoghue. He could be dodgy enough at times, but was still a decent enough keeper. Given his experience level, you'd reckon he'd be ideal to play in a game like this.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on June 29, 2007, 11:46:57 AM
Skehill was an excellent minor but looked uncomfortable to me when I saw him in the league this year. I also thought his temperment looked a little questionable in the Fitzgibbon cup final. Lads on here were saying that Ryan would be the keeper come championship time. I hadn't seen enough of him play to have any strong opinion one way or the other. Seems a bit harsh on Donoghue. He could be dodgy enough at times, but was still a decent enough keeper. Given his experience level, you'd reckon he'd be ideal to play in a game like this.

To be honest I don't think Galway fans were sad to see Donoghue go. After he dropped that high-ball into his own net against Kilkenny last year I think people had had enough. He always seemed prone to dropping a clanger.

Whether any of the others prove to be better than him remains to be seen.

There are high hopes for Skehill as he was/is a fantastic underage goalie but like anything else you might have to give him time to adjust to playing senior intercounty.

slow corner back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 28, 2007, 07:22:05 PM
Laois haven't a hope
THE END...

Are Laois writing this game off and aiming everything towards casement next weekend?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: slow corner back on June 29, 2007, 04:13:00 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 28, 2007, 07:22:05 PM
Laois haven't a hope
THE END...

Are Laois writing this game off and aiming everything towards casement next weekend?

At least Laois against Antrim it's two teams of the same standard,Antrim or Laois don't have a hope of beating Clare or Galway
You'll Never Walk Alone.

slow corner back

Unfortunately I fear you may be right, with the loosers in next years Christy Ring. We owe you lot for relegating us two years ago

The Real Laoislad

Might be better if we were in C Ring Cup it would give us a chance to win a few games in Croker
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

The Sports news on RTE 6 oclock News this evening told us that the "Kick Off" for this game is 7 pm .

Surely there is at least one GAA person in that Rugby dominated nest of Dublin 4 vipers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PrivatePile

Laois 1-14 Galway 3-20, is that full time?