uibh Fhaili - Tiobraid Arann

Started by AZOffaly, June 27, 2007, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Laoch

It'll need to be insider stuff if were to know the Tipp team it seems.

From RTE:
"Tipperary manager Babs Keating is playing his cards close to his chest and will not reveal his team to take on Offaly in Saturday's All-Ireland hurling qualifier until just before throw-in."

AZOffaly

Offaly team. Our latest dual player Sean Ryan gets a start in the corner forward position. Rory HAnniffy moves out to centre field.

Brian Mullins
Conor Hernon, Paul Cleary, David Franks
Kevin Brady, David Kenny, Ger Oakley
Rory Hanniffy (capt), Brendan Murphy
Gary Hanniffy, Derek Molloy, Brian Carroll
Sean Ryan, Joe Bergin, Damien Murray

lemon125

Narrow Tipp win, got a goal in the end to make it look better than it actually was. Tipp were poor but Offaly were worse, they should have beaten Tipp. Needless frees and its was the frees that was keeping Tipp in the game throughout
Tipp looked exhausted after the match, they need a week off badly

Bord na Mona man

An desperately disappointing loss for Offaly today. Never will we get a better chance to record a championship win over Tipperary. The worst Tipp side post '87 in terms of ability and also a tired team. Offaly can only blame themselves for losing this one. Wide after wide in the second when they could have pulled away and the concession of too many frees to a Tipp forward line that weren't brimming with inventiveness.

However, Offaly's effort, work rate and determination must be commended. The best example was Sean Ryan making his debut and putting a big performance. Brendan Murphy was industrious around midfield, Franks and Hernon battled furiously at the back and Kevin Brady also going well.

Also it was a big pity for Ger Oakley that he didn't get to put one over Tipp after what he has put up with during his career; the graffiti after the 2000 All Ireland and before that, the burning of the "good luck" banner. He had a superb first half, harassing everything that moved, risking life and limb for the ball. In the second half he found it tougher to deal with substitute John Carroll's more weighty presence.

David Kenny started well but perhaps conceded a couple of unnecessary frees. Offaly did improve when Kevin Brady went centre back and caught and cleared more ball.

Offaly's naivety in the concession of frees was disappointing. As astutely documented by the hurling experts on uibhfhaili.com  ;D, Michael Haverty is the one referee who Offaly always get roasted by. He consistently penalises the dispossessing flick away of the sliotar, which is Offaly's hallmark. Unfortunately Offaly's inexperience showed by still conceding these sort of frees to help keep Tipp in touch in the second half. At times the Offaly backs fouled Tipp forwards who were running themselves into trouble.

Up front is where Offaly didn't make Tipp pay. The half forward line didn't prevent Tipp from winning clean catches under puckouts. Tipp's better catching gave them a big advantage, whereas any loose ball on the deck tended to be won by a more determined Offaly.

For the second year in a row Joe Bergin is having a quiet June and I wonder is he a player who is better suited to more Wintery conditions? He also made a silly error in getting a scoreable Offaly free cancelled out which lead straight to Tipp point late in the first half.

Gary Hanniffy was the best Offaly player for winning ball, though he had a mixed time of it distributing it. Brian Carroll rarely managed to escape the attention of the Tipp backs and wasn't in good shooting form. Derek Molloy picked up and early yellow and was taken off with management probably concerned he was a little too wound up.

With Offaly down a point at the death, Shane Dooley was through on goal and had a weak shot stopped. To be fair he was right to try and go for goal, as a draw would still have seen Offaly squeezed out, with Cork unlikely to put their put their backslapping neighbours to the sword in the final round.

Only two Eoin Kelly points from play. Again he fails to fill his boots against Offaly. Would the same hurling sages who question DJ Carey's legacy because of how he has performed against certain counties, point out that Eoin Kelly has never had a decent scoring performance against Offaly from open play?  :D

While Offaly missed a great chance of a quarter-final place, the outlook is a lot better than in previous years. The kind of heart and spirit shown by the team today was refreshing to watch. I hope the days of tame surrender are over. Cork will test their resolve next weekend and hopefully Offaly don't let them run away with it.

While John McIntyre has been much (rightly or wrongly) criticised, his policy of looking towards fearless young tyros at the expense of jaded and demoralised older players has paid dividends. Players like Ryan, Hernon, Horan, Molloy, Verney and Kenny mightn't have been flagged to the same degree as Bergin and Cleary as promising young ones, however, the fire and battling qualities they have brought are the shot in the arm Offaly has needed.

A little more height in the half forwards and craft in front of goal are what Offaly lack now. There is something solid to build on for next year. Better form from Joe Bergin, Rory Hanniffy and the return of Dylan Hayden would see the Offaly forward line improve.

There is the spine of a team there and the young players will gain more experience. I hope Division 2 next year doesn't damage Offaly too much though.

the ship

you seem a bit bitter bord na mona man not tipps fault that offaly fouled so much in the second half or hit so many wides. best of luck in the christy ring cup next season.

bottlethrower7

just caught the highlights on the Sunday Game last night and read the reports in the papers. Sounds like Tipp were pretty awful alright, and their 'winning' goal looked a mite calamitous from an Offaly perspective. Tipp are bound to be tired alright, but they aren't really all that good to begin with. I can't wait to see them in action against Dublin next weekend, in their fifth game in as many weeks.

What planet is Babs on? His interviews are nothing short of comical, and the one last night where he had all the kids lined up around him like he was the pied piper himself, had me rolling around the place laughing. Who are the 'smart arses that have been texting him' though, one wonders. HOH, was it you?

INDIANA

i have no time for babs- it would make my day next saturday if the unthinkable happened. He's lived in dublin for 20 years berated dublin hurling from ahigh and the only time he managed a clubteam was to manage the UCD mercenaries which i believe says everyting about him. A complete ****** of the highest order. An outdated manager who if tipp have any ambitions in the years ahead should eject with immediate effect because he's past it.

Punxsutawney Fergal

The burning issue here is not Will Tipp beat Dublin next week, but how much weight will Daragh Egan and Danny O'Hanlon have put on come the next few weeks! I reckon Enfer are getting a great sponsorship deal will the current Tipp side!! If they keep eating the way they are it will be like one big Enfer Blip in Croker should Tipp get that far.

the ship

your right about babs he should be in the circus, ye all seem to be down on this tipp team i personally think they are a great bunch of lads and even with babs as  manager they still go out there and give it their all. maybe they wont win any all ireland this year but so far they have given great entertainment in all 4 matches to date. next saturday will be a close one and then cork in thurles hopefully to decide top spot. might not be great fun for those who do not look through the blue and gold spectacles but for us that do, we are having a ball.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: INDIANA on July 02, 2007, 01:31:47 PM
i have no time for babs- it would make my day next saturday if the unthinkable happened. He's lived in dublin for 20 years berated dublin hurling from ahigh and the only time he managed a clubteam was to manage the UCD mercenaries which i believe says everyting about him. A complete ****** of the highest order. An outdated manager who if tipp have any ambitions in the years ahead should eject with immediate effect because he's past it.

Know him well do you ? All these personal attacks on Babs are out of order,by all means criticise his methods and decisions but keep the personal rubbish out of it.

INDIANA

That's exactly how i would describe him- sorry if it offends you- i have had the misfortune to encounter him.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: INDIANA on July 02, 2007, 02:14:30 PM
That's exactly how i would describe him- sorry if it offends you- i have had the misfortune to encounter him.
[/quote

I assume you had the balls to call him names to his face when you "encountered" him or are you just another keyboard warrior ?

I would wager i've "encountered" the man on far more occasions than your good self and i can vouch for the fact that the man is a gent.

INDIANA

I would beg to differ quite categorically in fact - i found him extremely condescending and quite arrogant-in keeping with tipperary hurling in general- apologies if that offends you but that's my opinion.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: INDIANA on July 02, 2007, 02:35:12 PM
I would beg to differ quite categorically in fact - i found him extremely condescending and quite arrogant-in keeping with tipperary hurling in general- apologies if that offends you but that's my opinion.

An opinion you expressed to his face ?

Well done on the Tipperary hurling-arrogant thing,no hoary old cliches there then.

Billys Boots

QuoteCork unlikely to put their put their backslapping neighbours to the sword in the final round.

Don't hold back now BnMM!   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...