Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Norm-Peterson

Donegal must not be a very Irish nationalist people (as shown in my link) Now you can understand why I would never support an ROI county in football. Maybe they can go play in Connaught.

https://ibb.co/xHtQMrC

JoG2

Quote from: Norm-Peterson on May 14, 2024, 06:59:53 PMDonegal must not be a very Irish nationalist people (as shown in my link) Now you can understand why I would never support an ROI county in football. Maybe they can go play in Connaught.

You're always on point Norm. Must be the Fanad Tatums. Fred is a wrong'un

greatpoint

Quote from: Norm-Peterson on May 14, 2024, 06:59:53 PMDonegal must not be a very Irish nationalist people (as shown in my link) Now you can understand why I would never support an ROI county in football. Maybe they can go play in Connaught.

"Connaught"? What's that?

J70

Quote from: JoG2 on May 14, 2024, 07:10:15 PM

You're always on point Norm. Must be the Fanad Tatums. Fred is a wrong'un

Didn't turn out so well as his twin brother Drederick.

J70

Apparently we did actually toy with the idea of joining the Connacht championship after the Battle OF Ballybofey in 1973.  ;D

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/soccer/40526/The--battle--of-1973.html

J70

Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and we returned to win our second Ulster the following year.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on May 14, 2024, 07:52:51 PMThankfully cooler heads prevailed and we returned to win our second Ulster the following year.

They could still change, this would leave an even number in Ulster and you'd get to see them every few years in NY.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Not sure I'd judge a whole county off one clown with a fake profile.

Wildweasel74

Tatum wouldn't be a common Donegal name?

RedHand88

Quote from: greatpoint on May 14, 2024, 05:54:31 PM
Quote from: Norm-Peterson on May 12, 2024, 09:25:54 PMI wonder did they ever manage to drag McBrearty off the stand, wittering on for a long time.
Cringey stuff from Niblock too chuckling every time McGuinness did a fist pump.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tyrone beat Donegal in 2 weeks. No great shakes.

Also that is a very posh voice of Thomas Kane for a South Derry person.

Didn't look like they needed to be any great shakes to beat Tyrone the first time around to be honest

Well, it did take extra time and there was a bounce of a ball in it at the end, so they kinda did.

Blowitupref

Ryan McHugh

Quote"It's easy for me to say after a game that we've won that penalties is not the right decision but unfortunately I've been on the receiving end of a county final defeat in 2020 to Naomh Conaill, and I missed one that day myself,"

"But I think if you can't separate [the teams], especially in a final, an Ulster final or an All-Ireland final - and I know the All-Ireland does go to a replay - there has to be a way that we can fit in a replay.

"The two teams, to be fair, give absolutely everything and you couldn't separate us after 90 minutes. I think both teams would have deserved a replay.

"But it's easy for me to say that. I'm not sitting down with the GAA master fixtures [plan], and trying to fit in weeks here and there. I can understand the headaches that come with that.

"Listen, it was a phenomenal way for us to win it. It's unbelievable being on the winning side of penalties but I can feel for Armagh because I've been on the losing side."

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thebigfullforward

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 12, 2024, 05:33:53 PMCan you imagine how good this game could have been if they decided to play a decent brand of football? The score taking has been unreal but despite that the enjoyability of the football is pathetic.

I know McGuinness wouldn't give a f**k about that but I really hope the football review group implement some form of strategy to negate this anti football shite.
What would you suggest?

Armamike

Quote from: thebigfullforward on May 16, 2024, 08:07:30 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 12, 2024, 05:33:53 PMCan you imagine how good this game could have been if they decided to play a decent brand of football? The score taking has been unreal but despite that the enjoyability of the football is pathetic.

I know McGuinness wouldn't give a f**k about that but I really hope the football review group implement some form of strategy to negate this anti football shite.
What would you suggest?

We can't keep messing about with the rules of the game just because we don't like how teams are playing the game. There's been enough of that over the years.  The answer isn't in 13 aside or any other mad cap notion.  It's in new, innovative coaches coming on the scene with a different approach.  And there will be at some point.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Armamike on May 16, 2024, 09:51:31 AM

What would you suggest?

We can't keep messing about with the rules of the game just because we don't like how teams are playing the game. There's been enough of that over the years.  The answer isn't in 13 aside or any other mad cap notion.  It's in new, innovative coaches coming on the scene with a different approach.  And there will be at some point.

100% agree with this. There is constant tinkering with the rules. Get rid of the forward / defensive mark and then leave well alone.

lurganblue

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 16, 2024, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: Armamike on May 16, 2024, 09:51:31 AM

What would you suggest?

100% agree with this. There is constant tinkering with the rules. Get rid of the forward / defensive mark and then leave well alone.

I'd more or less be on board with this.  I'd like to introduce something like in basketball whereby once you cross the opposition 50m you cant go back.  I think that would be easy enough policed by all officials too. I realise something like this is unlikely to ever be introduced though, so just removing the advanced/defensive mark would be grand.