Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

a hard defeat to take but I s'pose these things happen. Can't really blame anyone for any of the goals. Utd didn't take the chance to go 9 points clear but Chelsea didn't close the gap yesterday. Things could be worse. Still 6 points clear at the top!!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

superblues

6 points clear with 14 games left would have took that at the start season and as Fergi said that wont happen again this season

Redgreenery

Totally shocked and upset by the result!  :(

Redgreenery

Arsenal 2-1 Man U

Arsenal came from behind to beat Barclays Premiership leaders Manchester United with two late goals at the Emirates Stadium.
Substitute Robin van Persie had cancelled out Wayne Rooney's early first-half strike with just seven minutes left, before captain Thierry Henry powered in a stoppage-time header to seal a dramatic win for the Gunners and signal their intent to have a say in the destiny of the title and the race for automatic Champions League qualification.

Despite their defeat in north London, United remain six points clear of Chelsea in second place and 12 ahead of Arsenal.

But Sir Alex Ferguson will know that lead could have been more convincing had they remained composed following what was at times a scrappy game, which until the closing moments never seemed destined to stick in the memory.

It had been a positive start by United, playing in their blue change strip, with Ryan Giggs finding space 20 yards out for a curling shot, which flew just wide.

Arsenal - without suspended Brazilian Gilberto - struggled to break the visitors down in midfield but eventually started to see more of the ball.

Henry flashed in an angled shot from the left touchline which flew straight at United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.

Referee Steve Bennett - who earlier this season sent Gunners boss Arsene Wenger to the stands - soon had to diffuse another potential flashpoint when full-back Emmanuel Eboue and Rooney tussled on the touchline, with both players raising their arms.

Good work from Alexander Hleb and Cesc Fabregas then got Emmanuel Adebayor away down the right.

His cross was deflected past the on-rushing Mathieu Flamini and Tomas Rosicky flashed the loose ball over the crossbar from 18 yards.

As the half-hour mark passed, Fabregas' goal-bound strike from 25 yards was headed behind by Nemanja Vidic.

Arsenal then created the best chance of the game so far.

Adebayor got away on the right again and his cross hung up perfectly for Henry at the far post.

However, the normally clinical Frenchman could only head the ball straight back at Van der Sar.

Henry had a strong claim for a penalty turned down when Gary Neville appeared to miss the ball and clip the striker as he ran across the United skipper just inside the area.

Giggs was flagged onside following a chip through by Paul Scholes, but he could not make the most of the opportunity as Jens Lehmann comfortably collected his cross-cum-shot from the left.

In the final minute of the first half, Henry tested Van der Sar with a low 25-yard strike after his initial free-kick had been blocked by the wall.

There was still time for Lehmann to make a superb finger-tip save onto the bar to turn over Rooney's brilliant half-volley, after the ball had dropped to him some 25 yards out.

The veteran German then turned Henrik Larsson's powerful header around the post from the resulting corner.

Arsenal started the second half in more determined fashion, but United continued to win the midfield battle and after 53 minutes they took the lead.

Cristiano Ronaldo fed Patrice Evra on the overlap down the left and the full-back dashed forward to drill the ball across the six-yard box.

Kolo Toure could only touch it on towards the far post, where Rooney was on hand to head in his first goal for eight matches.

Arsenal had little option but to raise their own tempo in order to avoid a first defeat at the Emirates Stadium.

However, once again the visitors were resolute in defending the final third.

With 24 minutes to go, Hleb was replaced by Van Persie.

His fellow Holland international Van der Sar needed treatment after being accidentally kicked by Vidic following a goal-mouth scramble.

United seemed content to sit back on their lead as the match entered the closing stages, but that proved a costly mistake.

With just seven minutes to go, Fabregas won the ball on the right, just outside the penalty area.

Rosicky took possession and drilled over a low cross into the six-yard box.

Henry flicked it on towards the back post where Van Persie arrived on cue to smash the ball up into the roof of the net for his 13th goal of the season.

Just when it seemed the match was set to end all square, Henry was perfectly positioned to meet Eboue's pinpoint cross with a bullet header which gave Van der Sar no chance.

Norf Tyrone

Ta Arsenal.
I said it a few posts back and still believe that if Chelsea get their act together (Especially JT), United can still lose this. Their away form ain't that hot, and they still have numerous tricky trips ahead. Decent game today, and I thought United defended well but their midfield and forwards offered little. Man of the match for me was Evra. Ironic that both goals came down his side, but bringing on Heinze for Ronaldo offered Arsenal the opportunity to go at that side more than they had knowing there was going to be less threat.

United's last 4 away games.
Arsenal Lose
Geordies Draw
Villa Win
West Ham lose.

Their remaining away games.
Spurs
Fulham
Liverpool
Pompey
Chelsea
Everton
Man City
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

superblues

and who do chelsea play they have the points in the bag right

Norf Tyrone

Far from it, but Chelsea have in the very recent past gone on long, long unbeaten runs. Chelsea have plenty of tricky away games, and need to pick next to maximum points.

Away games
Charlton
Man City
Pompey
Watford
West Ham
Newcastle
Arsenal

superblues

i agree both teams will drop points just hope liverpool dont sneak up behind and steel it

Cloc Mor

Norf Tyrone

Quoteliverpool dont sneak up behind and steel it

Bad choice of phrase  :)

Square Ball

Down to the wire this one, its up to who has the balls to go on and win it from here.

Squeeky Bum time indeed
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Have to admit United deserved at the very least a point today,but naturally i was delighted to see Arsenal win especially as i had them and Liverpool in a double
Makes the title race a bit more open but only a bit still think it will be Chelsea or United but i live in hope!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Spiritof98

gutted

Cant really say much more. Agree Evra was fantastic.

Bloody gutted, Arsenal pricks in my ear as I type
I'll go back if Marsdens back

full back

Evra was good indeed.
Only concern was that both goals came from his side. Was Rooney not chasing back?
Dont like to think Evra was at fault because otherwise his game was outstanding yesterday

magpie seanie

A good game between the two most skilful sides in the Premiership. United perhaps a bit unlucky to go down so late but bad tactics again invited Arsenal onto them late on. Once Larsson went off there was no outlet bar Ronaldo running alone down the field and hey presto - off with him as well.

Overall though United are playing well and are 6 points clear with a vastly superior goal difference. Chelsea are not playing well and are short on bodies but are great champions and will regroup. Liverpool are in their best form of the year so that means the slump is just around the corner. Arsenal will improve from here but will record enough dodgy away results to not challenge seriously for the title.