Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Just saw on Sky that he's now in from 14/1 to 8/1 third favourite. As i wrote on the thread on United's next manager, he would be my choice as United's next manager. His style of football at times isn't attractive, but football is now, more than ever before, a results based business, as David Moyes discovered. Mourinho is a winner.

Kidder81

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 11:26:15 PM
Just saw on Sky that he's now in from 14/1 to 8/1 third favourite. As i wrote on the thread on United's next manager, he would be my choice as United's next manager. His style of football at times isn't attractive, but football is now, more than ever before, a results based business, as David Moyes discovered. Mourinho is a winner.

I wouldn't be paying too much heed to the markets for next managers, notoriously unreliable and driven by the bookies.

Shrewdness

Agree with you on that.

nrico2006

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 23, 2014, 09:33:23 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 09:23:29 PM
Agree fully with Benny Cake re Michael Carrick. His continuous presence in recent seasons is symptomatic of the malaise that has afflicted United's midfield. Long past his best, such as was, and one of many for the exit.

Agreed. For a guy who is over 6 foot tall he was very easily pushed around. I'll never forget Olic making a monkey out of him when United had Bayern on the ropes in a CL semi final the year Rooney got 40 odd goals.

Disappointed Januzaj is going to play for Belgium. I was hoping he would have his summers free to rest for most of his career, like Giggs did.

I will never forget that either, Olic made a wee boy out of him when United were on course to get through.  Never understood the praise he received, very poor offensively and has no athleticism as well as being one paced. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

And then we had Giles trying to tell us that it was Guardiola that brough Xavi & Iniesta into the Barca team  ::)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

If financial fair play only relates to European football, Utd will not be affected for a year or two.

Wait till RVP and co put in transfer requests as they need to be playing at the highest level, blah, blah, blah..

From the Bunker

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 24, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
And then we had Giles trying to tell us that it was Guardiola that brough Xavi & Iniesta into the Barca team  ::)

Yeah, embarrassing moment! Giles has no clue of Continental football. In fairness he can read a game but knows little or nothing of the characters involved. The three (four including Bill) are there for the pantomime and in fairness they provide that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 09:18:59 AM
If financial fair play only relates to European football, Utd will not be affected for a year or two.

Wait till RVP and co put in transfer requests as they need to be playing at the highest level, blah, blah, blah..

Keep on dreaming.

screenexile

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists/188627/5-slightly-bonkers-stories-about-louis-van-gaal-man-utds-next-manager.html

Quote5 Slightly Bonkers Stories About Louis Van Gaal, Man Utd's Next Manager
by Chris | 22nd, April 2014

By Chris Wright

Heavily tipped to be taking over from David Moyes at Manchester United after the World Cup, Louis van Gaal has a bit of a reputation in football circles of – how can we put this delicately – being a bit of a deranged megalomaniac, with many cracking apocryphal stories and quotes being attributed to the man over the course of his long career in football.

Here are Pies' five favourites...

1. Van Gaal is a keen enthusiast of making utterly bombastic quotes upon taking managerial jobs. Upon taking his first ever professional role at Ajax in 1991, Van Gaal shook the hand of the Dutch club's director and supposedly told him: "Congratulations on signing the best coach in the world."

Then, upon taking over at Barcelona in 1997, he used his first press conference to declare: "I have achieved more with Ajax in six years than Barcelona has in one hundred years."

Then, after taking charge of the Holland national side in 2000, he opened his introductory press conference by saying: "I've signed a contract with the Dutch national team until 2006, so I can win the World Cup not once but twice."

Sadly, history shows that this wasn't quite the case.

2. When judging the man's mental state, just take this quote into consideration: "I cry almost every day. There's always something that touches me."

3. Back in February of 2011 while in charge at Bayern Munich, Van Gaal demonstrated that he had the big brass cojones to drop Bayern's big names (specifically Luca Toni) if he felt the need to and demonstrated the fact in unnecessarily literal fashion by dropping his trousers in front of the entire squad during a team meeting.

Toni, presumably during a therapy session, later recounted the ordeal:

"Van Gaal wanted to make clear to us that he can drop any player from team. It was all the same to him because, as he said, he had the balls.

"He demonstrated this literally by dropping his pants. I have never experienced anything like it, it was totally crazy.

"Luckily I didn't see a lot, because I wasn't in the front row."

4. Singularly unimpressed at witnessing Marcel Desailly almost decapitate Jari Litmanen with a flailing leg during the 1995 Champions League Final, an incensed Van Gaal staged an impressive recreation of the Milan defender's high boot on the touchline by demonstrating his kung-fu prowess to the fourth official...

5. While Barcelona manager, Van Gaal was introduced to a 14-year-old Gerard Pique by the young defender's proud grandfather, who was a director at the club at the time.

Without so much as an introductory handshake, Van Gaal barged Pique to the floor and then leaned over the poor bugger and quipped: "You're too weak to be a Barca defender!"

The man's a complete conkerbox! We can't wait!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2014, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 09:18:59 AM
If financial fair play only relates to European football, Utd will not be affected for a year or two.

Wait till RVP and co put in transfer requests as they need to be playing at the highest level, blah, blah, blah..

Keep on dreaming.

I dont expect a mass exodus or anything, but i wouldnt be that surprised to see that coming from RVP
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Kidder81

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2014, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 09:18:59 AM
If financial fair play only relates to European football, Utd will not be affected for a year or two.

Wait till RVP and co put in transfer requests as they need to be playing at the highest level, blah, blah, blah..

Keep on dreaming.

Yeah no way Rooney would do that.

rodney trotter

Being linked with Cavani.

AZOffaly

Lads, Dunphy will say whatever he feels will get a reaction.  He's not an analyst, he's a publicity hound. See Brolly, Joe. He was the very same with Liverpool, and now he's a cheerleader for them all of a sudden. I didn't see it, because I prefer to watch ads than listen to them, but I wonder did he use terms like 'disgraceful', 'real football man', 'bottle', 'not fit to wear that jersey', 'fans are being misled' or 'proud football club with great traditions' or even 'bully' about Alex Ferguson?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2014, 11:48:09 AM
Lads, Dunphy will say whatever he feels will get a reaction.  He's not an analyst, he's a publicity hound. See Brolly, Joe. He was the very same with Liverpool, and now he's a cheerleader for them all of a sudden. I didn't see it, because I prefer to watch ads than listen to them, but I wonder did he use terms like 'disgraceful', 'real football man', 'bottle', 'not fit to wear that jersey', 'fans are being misled' or 'proud football club with great traditions' or even 'bully' about Alex Ferguson?

Are you sure you didnt watch it??
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2014, 11:48:09 AM
Lads, Dunphy will say whatever he feels will get a reaction.  He's not an analyst, he's a publicity hound. See Brolly, Joe. He was the very same with Liverpool, and now he's a cheerleader for them all of a sudden. I didn't see it, because I prefer to watch ads than listen to them, but I wonder did he use terms like 'disgraceful', 'real football man', 'bottle', 'not fit to wear that jersey', 'fans are being misled' or 'proud football club with great traditions' or even 'bully' about Alex Ferguson?

Spot on, he goes on and on about the same stuff all the time.  The number of times he is wrong is unreal too.  Never forget for years he said Ronaldo was shit, useless and not a patch on Rooney.  Still going on about even after the season he got the 42 odd goals with United.  Next was that United would win nothing for years when he left, he basically bet his house on it.  Wasn't long until United won another league.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'