USFC Semi Final - Doire v Muineacháin

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 12, 2007, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

I see Cartin's out then - he'll be a big miss alright for Derry. Surely Patsy Bradley's a good replacement tho? He's a brute and will add even more physicality to the MF zone..

SuperHans

I dont think Cartin will be a loss at all. Good club player but just not good enuff for inter county IMO.
Patsy could do a job as could Hinphy whos not goin to london with the hurlers.
Mceldowny should start in the corner, he could handle Hanratty. Lookin forward to seein how gud he is.

What happened James Conlon, how come hes not on the Monaghan panel these days?

tbrick18

Quote from: SuperHans on June 21, 2007, 04:29:30 PM
I dont think Cartin will be a loss at all. Good club player but just not good enuff for inter county IMO.
Patsy could do a job as could Hinphy whos not goin to london with the hurlers.
Mceldowny should start in the corner, he could handle Hanratty. Lookin forward to seein how gud he is.

I'd go for Hinphy myself...he had a cracker last year against tyrone, and if we were to get to the final I'd like Hinphy playing but to do that he'd need a game against Monaghan. Hinphy v Dooher would be good craic!

Pangurban

tbrick18

With Paddy Bradley starting I find it difficult to see us losing this game although it will probably be a close affair.
Here's hoping we can make the final against our "dear" neighbours Tirrone...
All the best Doire for Sunday!

Oak Leafer

Great to see paddy starting, but bit concerned about full back line! McGoldrick isn't up til it yet( altho i hope he proves me wrong ) and Gerard o'kane isn't a corner back. Antrim proved this! Also as much as it adds a physical presence to our side i feel Patsy Bradley doesn't have the distribution skills to be a half back. Jesus this is where we need ball players to deliver the quality ball our extemely talented full forwrd line crave. Four midfielders?? Hope it works but somethin tells me it isn't the formula for success????

charlie linkbox

Quote from: SuperHans on June 21, 2007, 04:29:30 PM

He was crap.

Oak Leafer

Quote from: Oak Leafer on June 22, 2007, 12:12:36 PM
Great to see paddy starting, but bit concerned about full back line! McGoldrick isn't up til it yet( altho i hope he proves me wrong ) and Gerard o'kane isn't a corner back. Antrim proved this! Also as much as it adds a physical presence to our side i feel Patsy Bradley doesn't have the distribution skills to be a half back. Jesus this is where we need ball players to deliver the quality ball our extemely talented full forwrd line crave. Four midfielders?? Hope it works but somethin tells me it isn't the formula for success????
[/quote

What a disgraceful ( as Martin & Jarlath were sayin ) performance from Derry! Never ever seen a worse refereeing display, how can that fella ever be allowed to referee again. Much as i would like to place the blame on the ref, we were a shambles.
Played off the pitch in the 1st half =yet were only a point down and Bradley and Muldoon hadn't touched the ball. And even gettin the goal against the run of play and we still couldn't raise our game.
Lets give Monaghan their dues, they got everything tactically spot on, they done what Donegal did last year...brought men back behind the ball, broke at pace ( their support play and workrate was awesome ) and delivered the ball in early.
Question marks have to be raised over management, surely its not difficult to instruct lads to let it go early. We simply allowed Monaghan the time to filter men back, bradley and muldoon had no chance. This problem arise last year  v Donegal and obviously nothing has been done as regards having a back up system of play.
I point i move onto is our big line of midfielders?? I ws worried by a lack of men that can distribute quality ball, and playin 4 midfielders wasn't goin to eradicate this short comin. Lockhart was the only player that attempted to deliver the early ball, but again its not his forte. Surely he should have been switched onto Freeman? Again for the second game in a row, we have left a defender on a man who has been roasted all day long. Christ can men not see that from the line!!
I still believe Derry are capable of improving greatly, but not witht the present management set up. Its scandalous that a man of Adrian McGuckins quality is lyin idle. Derry have the players, they just need to be coached in the right manner. I'll put my hand up and say McGoldrick was excellent, im happy to admit i was wrong on him.
How also was Wilkinson left on for so long, Jesus with Paul Murphy and Barry McGoldrick on the bench. Yes he wasn't the only one, but surely its been highlighted enough today that he is far too light for county football.
Another point that frustrates me. Why weren't we able to change to a shorter kickout on times. We were totally dominated at midfield for the entire game...bar the lst 10mins of 1st half. Gillis continued to pump the ball straight into the middel? I know our own club have a system for kickouts, surely an intercounty team should have somethin implememted???

Uladh

An absolutely shocking performance from derry. no guts, no drive and no ideas. Fair play to monaghan, their half forward and half back lines know exactly how to block up the space in their own defence. derry had no clue how to break them down and consequently bradley and muldoon were starved.

Derry were only surpassed in ineptitude by the referee, who gave without a doubt the worst display of letter of the law refereeing i've seen in years. monaghan obviously targeted derry's build up out of defence. the worked hard and fouled when necessary. the ref never copped this on and compounded the problem by taking a full minute over tickings! what a clown. how is it pat mc can wave the black book but these half wits have to stop the quick free, pull it back, walk the offender 10 yards to one side, give him a stern talking to and then flash the book. monaghan must have been laughing. also, it must have been his first game because monaghan bought so many frees by grabbing the arm and tumbling over. i thought refs stopped falling for this 5 years ago?

ruined my afternoon of watching football on the box the leitrim twat.

gerry

Derry poor today, need to improve a lot to beat Tyrone
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

tyroneboi

Whats the story with Paul Finlay? hope its nothing serious?

ExiledGael

Totally shocking performance from Derry, why are these players so highly rated yet put up such dreadful performances on a regular basis.
Kevin McCloy was the only player who gave anything like his best, and why was O'Kane not taken off Tommy Freeman almost immediately, he was killing him!
Agree about the ref, was at the game and the crowd on both sides were really pissed off at his time wasting over frees and ticking, spoiled the flow and frustrated the players.
Gollogly was excellent for Monaghan second Half and Rory Woods had a stormer, thought he couldn't last 70 minutes! Horse of a man!
One of the two Freeman's my man of the match, toss a coin, both brilliant in their position.
Muldoon and Bradley totally negated, have to hand it to Banty

One last thing, only one thing worse than Derry's performances, their fans, totally outnumbered, disgraceful following

slow corner back

Quote from: tyroneboi on June 24, 2007, 06:35:55 PM
Whats the story with Paul Finlay? hope its nothing serious?

The vague TV report sounded a bit ominous, hope it is just the flu

Donagh

Robbed GAA man beat with hammers

A member of the GAA's Ulster Council has been beaten with hammers and had his car hijacked in a robbery.

The official was leaving Casement Park in Belfast following championship games.

It is understood thousands of pounds was stolen when the car he was in was attacked by the gang between the M1 and Ballygawley in County Tyrone.

A fellow member of the council, Danny Murphy, told the BBC that the official had been "savagely beaten".

However, his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

The council said it had reported the incident to the PSNI who are investigating the incident.

The Ulster Council member left the game half-way through and made his way along the M1.

thejuice

heard mention of a heart condition in regards to Paul Finlay when listening to RTE radio. maybe i heard wrong, dont mean to alarm people in the wrong.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016