The tackle

Started by seafoid, February 16, 2023, 08:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/02/16/ciaran-murphy-after-last-weekend-spare-us-any-more-talk-of-tmo-in-gaelic-games/

Hurling and Gaelic football are two games without a clearly defined tackle. Does anyone really think TV replays are going to make them any easier to define?

JoG2

The tackle seems to be clearly defined twice, once in the rule book and once by every referee in the country.

Rule book
1.8 Player(s) may tackle an opponent for the ball.

18. TACKLE - Football: The tackle is a skill by which one or more players may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. A tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. A tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact
such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping,
jersey pulling or a full frontal charge is forbidden.

Referees:
Multiple players can indeed slap, hold the arms, push and pull an opposing player in possession of the ball in groups of 2, 3, 4 or 5 and 9 times out of 10 the player in possession will be called for over carrying (while he himself is being fouled continuously). How Irish is that??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on February 16, 2023, 09:00:53 AM
The tackle seems to be clearly defined twice, once in the rule book and once by every referee in the country.

Rule book

18. TACKLE - Football: The tackle is a skill by which one or more players may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. A tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. A tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact

Referees:
Multiple players can indeed slap, hold the arms, push and pull an opposing player in possession of the ball in groups of 2, 3, 4 or 5 and 9 times out of 10 the player in possession will be called for over carrying (while he himself is being fouled continuously). How Irish is that??

Its very simple, you can't, pull arms slap player jersey pull or deliberately collide with a player...A player can tackle the ball, he can't rip it from his grasp but can with either open fist or closed fist make contact with the ball to release it from him

This is were it becomes a grey area, lads all pilling around a player slapping an area where the ball is at, unfortunately they ain't very good with their aim, but, if the player isn't having his arm pulled back, or jersey pulled or deliberately collided with its down to the accuracy of the hands coming in on the ball, if he's 'in a corner' and can't release it because of multiple bodies, providing they ain't fouling him like I mentioned above, then he'll (if he doesn't drop the ball) be done for overcarrying, if the slapping is directed at the ball then by the rules that's ok
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Don't Refs usually give frees if a fist used on the ball?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 16, 2023, 10:13:39 AM

You can't use the fist on a player, you can certainly fist the ball from his possession if you connect cleanly with it..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2023, 10:16:35 AM

You can't use the fist on a player, you can certainly fist the ball from his possession if you connect cleanly with it..

I thought it was only with an open hand?

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2023, 10:09:01 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 16, 2023, 09:00:53 AM

Rule book

Referees:

Its very simple, you can't, pull arms slap player jersey pull or deliberately collide with a player...A player can tackle the ball, he can't rip it from his grasp but can with either open fist or closed fist make contact with the ball to release it from him

This is were it becomes a grey area, lads all pilling around a player slapping an area where the ball is at, unfortunately they ain't very good with their aim, but, if the player isn't having his arm pulled back, or jersey pulled or deliberately collided with its down to the accuracy of the hands coming in on the ball, if he's 'in a corner' and can't release it because of multiple bodies, providing they ain't fouling him like I mentioned above, then he'll (if he doesn't drop the ball) be done for overcarrying, if the slapping is directed at the ball then by the rules that's ok
If the game was reffed to the letter of the law it would basically be non contact lol.

On the bolded, how often do you hear people giving out about closed fist tackles? I've seen frees given many time for someone popping yhe ball out cleanly from under the mans arm with closed fist

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on February 16, 2023, 10:17:52 AM

If you miss the ball with a closed fist its a yellow card, if you miss with the open hand its a foul, if you connect with the ball the play on, if its dangerous and fist follows through while making contact cleanly then thats a foul.

The problem is common sense, interpretation, and the sideline referees ;D

general_lee

So you can tackle the ball with a closed fist. Every day's a school day.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2023, 10:32:54 AM
Quote from: marty34 on February 16, 2023, 10:17:52 AM

If you miss the ball with a closed fist its a yellow card, if you miss with the open hand its a foul, if you connect with the ball the play on, if its dangerous and fist follows through while making contact cleanly then thats a foul.

The problem is common sense, interpretation, and the sideline referees ;D

Clear as...mud.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on February 16, 2023, 10:51:15 AM

I'm saying my interpretation is tackle the ball and ball only is ok, others may see a fist coming in and blow regardless, very rarely nowadays you see the fisting of the ball cleanly, its like a licence to thump people!!

I'm clear in saying that to the player who'll say "i was going for the ball" well ya missed it and its a yellow card, safer coming in with a open hand

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2023, 10:57:42 AM

I'm saying my interpretation is tackle the ball and ball only is ok, others may see a fist coming in and blow regardless, very rarely nowadays you see the fisting of the ball cleanly, its like a licence to thump people!!

I'm clear in saying that to the player who'll say "i was going for the ball" well ya missed it and its a yellow card, safer coming in with a open hand

On the closed fist and how it's reffed, part of the problem is that the ref's handbook says "Use the fist on or around the body of an opponent for the purpose of dispossessing him of the ball" is a free and a noting. 

The fact that the exact same wording in relation to the rule isn't in both the actual rulebook and the ref's handbook says a tonne about how badly the actual rules of the game are handled by the GAA.

brokencrossbar1

Where does the clothes line fall into the tackle interpretation?  Asking for a friend....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 16, 2023, 01:51:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2023, 10:57:42 AM

On the closed fist and how it's reffed, part of the problem is that the ref's handbook says "Use the fist on or around the body of an opponent for the purpose of dispossessing him of the ball" is a free and a noting. 

The fact that the exact same wording in relation to the rule isn't in both the actual rulebook and the ref's handbook says a tonne about how badly the actual rules of the game are handled by the GAA.

So its down to how the ref see's the tackle, that's what I have been saying

BC1
Clothes line tackles are ok  :D

didlyi

Good article.
I have to laugh when certain pundits think VAR would be great for GAA. Our clearly defined 'steps' and 'handpass' rules are not so clear in practice. VAR would make a laugh of every play and the stops in play would be endless. So unless we change the definition of the rule or the rule themselves we havent a hope of ever having VAR in Hurling or Football. Its light years away.