More musings on Sinn Fein...

Started by Evil Genius, June 12, 2007, 12:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 12, 2007, 02:01:53 PM

Yet when I reproduced a studied article on a key aspect of party policy, only one poster, Mentalman, thought to address the issues raised (and then only one rather peripheral aspect of it).

Thanks for the clarification there EG, I'll get the Germaline out for the stud marks later, heaven forbid I bring attention to his ludicrous preface and not address "the substantive" issue.

Maybe I didn't elucidate the point enough though. I addressed his preface because it does nothing to support his main point, which may have merit; in fact it takes from it in my opinion. After reading those two paragraphs I really didn't feel like it was worthwhile reading the rest of it, but I overcame that and did for the sake of fairness. As for the apparent Sinn Fein policy of vaporising the past, I think it's pretty well known on here that I am not a "fan" or supporter in any way shape or form, so I won't be an apologist for it. It's in the nature of all political movements, both those I like and hate, to attempt to sanitise the past.

Do you think the opening section lends strength to the remainder of his article?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

SammyG

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 12, 2007, 02:20:07 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 12, 2007, 02:01:53 PM
Lynchboy disparages the author's credentials
I glance through the paper and read a few lines from his 'articles' each week to see what he is banging on about
so I think I can safely say that I can laugh at his notions of being a journalist.

like a lot of you people, someone should let him know that there has been a ceasefire since the early/mid 90's - and that certain things like decommissioning  etc have all happened.
Jeez you'd swear that 'kingsmills' happens every week according to him and a lot of the unionist fraternity  :D

What has the article got to do with the ceasefire? I can't see any connection.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on June 12, 2007, 02:06:46 PM
EG, there are conventions on the Board which we all abide by and one of them is not to be reproducing threads especially when there was already an active one at the top of the Board. Far from the truth hurting, I read the article the other day and dismissed it as nonsense. If the members of this board took the time to read never mind response to every inane post you make, we'd all be on here full time. Empty vessels and all that...

I wasn't aware* that I was "reproducing any thread", since I hadn't seen this article elsewhere on this Board. And I don't see why it should be conflated with e.g. the thread dealing with SF's electoral position in the Republic. Otherwise, we'd just have one giant thread entitled "Sinn Fein".

And with  this thread, as with every other, people may choose to click and move on. Yet you have now responded twice, essentially to say the whole thread is worthless. Do you do so with every thread you consider "inane"? Or only with those which contradict your own particular political views?

Talking of which, I would be interested to hear from you, a SF supporter, why you think Clarke is talking "nonsense" when he identifies what he considers to be a contradiction in SF's approach to Law and Order.

* - I wasn't aware you were a Moderator, either. But if any should be reading, I've no doubt they'll let me know if this thread should have been combined with another, or binned.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Well if you ever took the time to read the GAA thread on what is a GAA Board after all you would not be long in noticing that like topics are kept together on single treads for ease of accessibility i.e. you may think that people enjoy seeing the top page overloaded with whatever pops into your head but I can assure you we don't.

GweylTah

One or two resident bogmen with an extremly high opinion of themselves as a sort of cross between owning this board and being an official censor would still have us all out with the scissors cutting and scribbling out things they don't want mentioned.

Chucky ar-Pravda.

How predicatble, how pathetic.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on June 12, 2007, 03:35:22 PM
Well if you ever took the time to read the GAA thread on what is a GAA Board after all you would not be long in noticing that like topics are kept together on single treads for ease of accessibility i.e. you may think that people enjoy seeing the top page overloaded with whatever pops into your head but I can assure you we don't.

Did you object to 5iveTimes opening a Poll on the Election, then Pietas a thread on SF's position in the Republic following that election, or Belleaqua for opening a thread on Favoured Coalition Partnerships? I would have thought they were all close enough to share the same thread (by your logic, at least).

Or did you object to Magickingdom starting a thread on Sweden being awarded the points for their abandoned game in Denmark, when Norf Tyrone had opened a thread on "Danish fan costs OWC" - exactly the same topic?

Do you object to Fearon now that he has resumed opening a separate "RantaThreadADay" on anything to do with soccer in NI?

Indeed, did you object to yourself for opening a thread on "Long Kesh Park" [sic] when that topic has been raised elsewhere on the Board?

By only objecting to posters from the "other side of the fence", when they dare to raise a topic with which you disagree (but cannot easily refute), you are merely exposing yourself for an intolerant bigot with delusions as to his own self-importance.

Anyhow, about Clarke's article, do you think he has a point when he opines that the Shinners want things both ways in their approach to who may do what?  ::)

P.S. Like the use of the Royal "We" at the end of your post (highlighted). I wouldn't have taken you for someone with Monarchist tendencies... :-*
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: GweylTah on June 12, 2007, 03:40:13 PM
One or two resident bogmen with an extremly high opinion of themselves as a sort of cross between owning this board and being an official censor would still have us all out with the scissors cutting and scribbling out things they don't want mentioned.

Chucky ar-Pravda.

How predicatble, how pathetic.

Not half as pathetic as the new breed of soccer supporting unionist, so confident of their outlook and place in the world they spend half their working day and evenings on a GAA website attacking and insulting non-unionists. So what is it, insecurity or just plain envy?

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 12, 2007, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: Donagh on June 12, 2007, 03:35:22 PM

Did you object to 5iveTimes opening a Poll on the Election, then Pietas a thread on SF's position in the Republic following that election, or Belleaqua for opening a thread on Favoured Coalition Partnerships? I would have thought they were all close enough to share the same thread (by your logic, at least).

Or did you object to Magickingdom starting a thread on Sweden being awarded the points for their abandoned game in Denmark, when Norf Tyrone had opened a thread on "Danish fan costs OWC" - exactly the same topic?

Do you object to Fearon now that he has resumed opening a separate "RantaThreadADay" on anything to do with soccer in NI?

Indeed, did you object to yourself for opening a thread on "Long Kesh Park" [sic] when that topic has been raised elsewhere on the Board?

By only objecting to posters from the "other side of the fence", when they dare to raise a topic with which you disagree (but cannot easily refute), you are merely exposing yourself for an intolerant bigot with delusions as to his own self-importance.

Anyhow, about Clarke's article, do you think he has a point when he opines that the Shinners want things both ways in their approach to who may do what?  ::)

P.S. Like the use of the Royal "We" at the end of your post (highlighted). I wouldn't have taken you for someone with Monarchist tendencies... :-*

Think your getting a bit paranoid there EG. You started multiple posts on the same topic, something that is frowned upon on this Board. Now you can shoot your mouth off all you want and accuse me of being a bigot but the simple fact is I don't know what you post or your views as I stopped reading them many months ago, as I know many others have. Now the only person I can see with an overdeveloped self importance is the person who is responding to every post he reads with some embarrassing half-baked musing which has been inspired/plagiarized from a shit Wiki, newspaper article or forum post (and has now begun to inflict us with multiple threads of the same shite). It all gets a bit tiresome EG.

deiseach

Mentalman is quite correct about the whole Kevin Barry thing weakening the rest of the argument. Anyone who regularly reads Liam Clarke and his securocrat drivel would know that he is most certainly attempting to make a link between Saddam, Ceausescu, Eichmann and Barry. 'Guilt by association, one might call it.

However, the main point is a good one:

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 12, 2007, 12:14:13 PM
This attempt to close the book on the IRA campaign because of its political character, while calling for public inquiries into other acts of violence that sprang from the political conflict, won't wash.

The Shinners want a line drawn under their violence while rubbing The Others violence in their collective face. Seems self-evident.