Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on August 06, 2021, 08:26:08 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 06, 2021, 07:38:57 PM
Half time Roscommon 1-6 Sligo 0-10. Deserved lead for Sligo who are playing best in the wet conditions thus far.

A famous night for Sligo first Connacht Minor title since the 60s. FT Roscommon 1-11 Sligo 0-19

53 years , what a night for them lads , best team too , no fluke .

Congrats to all the Sligo folk. Well done.

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Cunny Funt

Underage football alive and well in Connacht. Roscommon able to take out Mayo and Galway and tonight Sligo finally end their minor famine

A success that hasn't come out of the blue for Sligo, a lot of good work they have done at underage level in recent years. Could see from the opening 5 minutes tonight that they meant business and fought like tigers throughout for a deserve win and Connacht title

weareros

Congrats to Sligo and Sligo posters here. That was too long of a wait for a Connacht minor title, but they are not easy won for county with smaller picks. By far the better team and could have won by more. Physically strong team, put up a great score in difficult conditions, and the line had their homework done on our danger men. Hope they can go all the way now, and well capable of winning All-Ireland semi. Our lads put up some great performances and will have better days ahead.

Tubberman

Well done Sligo, couldn't believe it when I read it was their first since 1968. Great to see, Sligo must surely have a lot of potential if they can make more inroads in Sligo town
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: weareros on August 06, 2021, 10:11:23 PM
Congrats to Sligo and Sligo posters here. That was too long of a wait for a Connacht minor title, but they are not easy won for county with smaller picks. By far the better team and could have won by more. Physically strong team, put up a great score in difficult conditions, and the line had their homework done on our danger men. Hope they can go all the way now, and well capable of winning All-Ireland semi. Our lads put up some great performances and will have better days ahead.

+1 (to save a lot of typing)
Apart from the few minutes before the 1st water break when we hit 1-4  our lads played second fiddle throughout to a well drilled good Sligo team.
We struggled manfully against the odds in the 2nd half and kept it interesting on the scoreboard till near the end.
Best of luck to Sligo in the Semis and I suppose better them batin us than the other 2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Congrats to Sligo!
What way does the semi final draw shape up?

(Is Magpie Seanie still around? Haven't noticed a post of his in a long time).

Rossfan

Sligo v Meath....probably Breffni
Cork v Ulster Champs.... probably Tullamore.

SLIGONIAN

Thanks lads,

Best performance I have ever seen in a Connacht final by a Sligo team. I know it was 68 since we last won it but we were robbed in 96 and 98 and came close in 15 and last year so it was insane that was this long. So happy the lads got the win we deserved.

We have been beaten down the last few years so it's been a great week for Sligo sport with Mona and Chris in the Olympics getting to finals and now this is just amazing.

Sligeach abu.

Meath next I believe maybe the Roscommon lads can confirm. ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Itchy

GaillimhIarthair

Well done to Sligo, thoroughly deserved win, keep her lit for another few weeks!

fearsiuil

Great to read match report of a famous win for Sligo. Future is bright.

Sligo bridge 53-year gap to become Connacht minor football champions

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/sligo-bridge-53-year-gap-to-become-connacht-minor-football-champions-40727014.html

Rossfan

And moving swiftly on our u20s playing Down in the All Ireland semi in Breffni Park tonight at 7.
Weather not likely to suit our ladeens but sure ya'd never know.
I see Chairman Brian Carroll still has tickets available!!
I suspect  a combination of weather, live TV, a load of Club League games at 5pm and avoiding Covid  have combined to keep a lot of people away.
Anyway will be away in an hour ir so with pull ups, umbrella etc.
Best of luck lads, give it ye're best shot and no one can ask any more than that.
💛💛💛💛💙💙

mouview

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 06, 2021, 09:29:23 PM
Underage football alive and well in Connacht. Roscommon able to take out Mayo and Galway and tonight Sligo finally end their minor famine

A success that hasn't come out of the blue for Sligo, a lot of good work they have done at underage level in recent years. Could see from the opening 5 minutes tonight that they meant business and fought like tigers throughout for a deserve win and Connacht title

Roscommon will be disappointed, having made a great comeback in the previous round. Rare enough that a team beats Mayo and Galway in one season and still not win Connacht.

Owenmoresider

A great win yesterday and long long overdue. Well done to all involved.

Given that the senior scene is at an all time low, it does give some cause for hope for the future but still a long way to go to achieve any degree of respectibility. But at least the losing habit has finally been knocked.