2021 Tailteann Cup

Started by Angelo, December 22, 2020, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Or day before the All Ireland. Televised, big campaign to get fans in or double header with McDonagh cup. Fanfare, marketing etc etc

Really hope it take off, its the future. All Sports have tiers, all counties have tiers, even Inter-County Hurling has tiers

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 22, 2020, 02:52:39 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 02:28:52 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 22, 2020, 02:17:35 PM
Bit of an OG having it with hurling semi-finals. Makes it sound gimmicky.

Double header with AI final would be great but don't think that's practical due to normal ticket demand (although if Dublin keep walking it demand could drop).

If they go with a standalone fixture I think Croker is too big so sticking with HQ, a double or treble header would be the way to go.

Its very practical. But giving 50% of your tickets to random clubs up and down the country and elsewhere is the killer here. Where there is a will there is a way. Whats being proposed here is the death knell for the competition before it has even started.

I get what you're saying but to be fair an awful lot of those tickets make their way back to the competing counties anyway. I very much doubt 50% of any attendance at an AI final ever was neutral, not even close. Which adds to the atmosphere.

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 02:28:52 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 22, 2020, 02:17:35 PM
Bit of an OG having it with hurling semi-finals. Makes it sound gimmicky.

Double header with AI final would be great but don't think that's practical due to normal ticket demand (although if Dublin keep walking it demand could drop).

If they go with a standalone fixture I think Croker is too big so sticking with HQ, a double or treble header would be the way to go.

Its very practical. But giving 50% of your tickets to random clubs up and down the country and elsewhere is the killer here. Where there is a will there is a way. Whats being proposed here is the death knell for the competition before it has even started.

I'd agree with this.

I think 90% of tickets should be given to competing counties in the All Ireland finals. In the case outlined above with the Tailteann Cup, you could go 30-30-15-15 between senior teams and Tailteann teams.

But why could we not just have a stand alone day at Croke Park (or another venue) for this final? I don't get this whole Croke Park thing for me. As a player I'd rather play in a packed provincial stadium than a half empty Croke Park.

Does it not diminish the competition itself as being an undercard?

How many counties have their intermediate club final as the precursor for the senior final?

This absolutely for me but very hard to get away from CP mindset.

I think many of the tickets do get back to  the counties but I know that in many clubs the same "neutral" lad is going to every final, a badge of honour. Then the ones that make to the county participating. Well in my experience if my club was in Cavan there is probably some Mayo lad in the town that would like to go but isnt a member, never goes to their games and he gets a ticket. Thats an awful shite way to dish out these tickets.

Angelo

One thing that sticks with me on the subject of half empty Croke Park v packed provincial grounds.

I remember going to the 2002 League final between Tyrone and Cavan in Clones, I watched it back there over Lockdown - about 20k of a crowd there, great atmosphere and really added to the game.

I think of recent national league finals and the damp feel to them when they are played in a stadium that is only 1/3rd open and empty seats left everywhere. I really don't understand why anyone would want to watch or play in a game in that situation over a full house where you can feel the atmosphere and it enriches the game as a result.

I know the GAA are adamant to use CP for commercial reasons but it once again shows how the greed from top brass is really destroying the game.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Look-Up!

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 22, 2020, 02:56:39 PM
Or day before the All Ireland. Televised, big campaign to get fans in or double header with McDonagh cup. Fanfare, marketing etc etc

Really hope it take off, its the future. All Sports have tiers, all counties have tiers, even Inter-County Hurling has tiers

Yeah as someone else suggested I think weekend of AI is a good call. Double or treble header would be great on the Saturday evening before AI.

You might even have some fans from the main event in town for the weekend anyway who would come to see especially if their county was also involved in one of the other games e.g minor, U20. They could do a deal on tickets too, say if you have an AI final ticket already you get discount on Tailteann Cup ticket. Good discounts for family tickets, food deals etc. Just go for it and try make a real event out of it and get in a big crowd.

Don't get the mix and matching of football/hurling. They're different sports. If someone wants to see a hurling match nothing stopping them going to see one and vice versa for football.

tintin25

The guys making these decisions really are a bunch of clowns.  I had come round to the idea of the Tailteann Cup,but proposing it's played before the All-Ireland Hurling Semi?? Load of bollox.

They are forever changing the rules too, was it not first agreed that any county outside of the top two divisions who got promoted or got to their provincial final would play in the main draw in that same year?  Would have thought both Cavan and Tipp would have had to get promoted or reach the provincial final again to play in main draw in 2021.

Rossfan

The semi finals are down for the weekend 5/6 June so they're probably avoiding a 4 week run in to the Final?
I think the Semis are the only fixtures on that weekend.
Whatever about the Covid affected 2021  for 22 I would strongly urge the powers that be to play a triple header of AI Finals the Saturday of the Senior Final weekend (Minor/U20/Tailteann) with loads of juvenile tickets and reasonably priced adult ones.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Quote from: tintin25 on December 22, 2020, 03:31:13 PM
The guys making these decisions really are a bunch of clowns.  I had come round to the idea of the Tailteann Cup,but proposing it's played before the All-Ireland Hurling Semi?? Load of bollox.

They are forever changing the rules too, was it not first agreed that any county outside of the top two divisions who got promoted or got to their provincial final would play in the main draw in that same year?  Would have thought both Cavan and Tipp would have had to get promoted or reach the provincial final again to play in main draw in 2021.

Yeah I am one who saw great potential and merit in a 2nd Tier competition but TBH I'm now really pissed off with their latest brain wave.

Having a final as a curtain raiser to a semi final is really insulting and incomprehensively dumb. But I can see their logic. "We can't sell out a hurling semi final anyway so why not get the boggers in to fill the seats. It will be a real threat for them too to see a proper sport and cherry on top, we get to over charge everyone for admission."

No hurling fan is going to come 2hrs early to see some f*!@$!g football match! And no football fan, after having witnessed their team either lift a cup or lose a final, is going to sit through some f*!@$!g semi final of a completely different sport!

BennyCake

There's also the price issue.

Last AI semi I attended was €45 I think. If you had this Tailteann cup final as a stand alone game, there's no way it'd cost €45. So, if a predominantly footballing county like Cavan (bad example I know, cue the tight Cavan man jokes) got to the Tailteann final (played with the hurling semi), I'd say they'd begrudge having to pay €45 for a ticket.

Itchy

It just seems like the minimal thought went into this which looks like we are in for Tommy Murphy Cup Rev 2.

Angelo

It's a detatchment from the grass roots once again.

Finances dictate what action is taken not the growing and betterment of the game.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

larryin89

Several posts related to crowds , tickets and what have ya . Like i posted in here months ago and was sniggered at , there will be little to no crowds next year and it could be as late as 2023 before we ever see full house games again or perhaps even later .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Itchy

Quote from: larryin89 on December 22, 2020, 04:44:37 PM
Several posts related to crowds , tickets and what have ya . Like i posted in here months ago and was sniggered at , there will be little to no crowds next year and it could be as late as 2023 before we ever see full house games again or perhaps even later .

Yes but events aren't being planned for based on out lier year next year will be.

twohands!!!

If it had been run this year the teams in it would have been

Antrim, Fermanagh, Derry, London, Waterford, Limerick, Leitrim, Sligo, Carlow, Offaly, Wexford, Wicklow, Louth, Longford.
I'm not sure whether New York would have been involved [if it was a normal non-Covid year]

I think whatever way the draw went, there would surely have been a serious chunk of competitive games between these teams.

I'd imagine if you looked back at the record books and looked at the record of the Tailteann Cup eligible teams in the qualifiers it would have been fairly anemic over the years.
Off the top of my head I'd say the number of Tailteann Cup eligible teams who have got to the quarter-finals/Super 8s via the qualifier route much be very close to zero.

BennyCake

@twohands:
Fermanagh and Derry got to the semis in 2004.
Wexford semis in 08.
Sligo QF 2002.
Limerick QF 2011.
Antrim round 4 qualifiers (might have progressed had they not met Kerry)

themac_23

I think it'll be good if it's done right, similar to the Joe McDonagh, I think the winners should get a good holiday as an Incentive for teams to buy in. Could have the winners play the All stars instead of the way it is at the min against the previous years all stars. Or scrap the all star game and have the all Ireland winners play the Tailteann winners in a charity shield like game in a different country every year, might be a decent carrot for the teams