10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

shawshank

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 06, 2018, 10:10:25 AM
Quote from: honthecounty on April 05, 2018, 03:58:01 PM
Quote from: BurstThatBall on April 05, 2018, 02:33:18 PM
Can I ask what folk think of County Development squads ??  Is it right to put 13, 14, 15 year olds up above others while they are still physically developing ! Surely U17/18 is time enough ?  Let the clubs/schools develop kids at a younger age - they are doing a good job currently I believe !
With the decline of our county senior team to Div 4....  are these structures really working ?
And with our county coaching manager in Australia ... anyone know who is paying for that trip and what his remit is for this trip ??  Is it to further help these county development squads ? Bring back ideas and help Derry football improve....any thoughts ??

a lot is made of the lack of quality in the intermediate and junior levels within the county, but there is a lot of players that are quality players with the right coaching at underage could be fine county players. I don't see much being done to promote younger ones to commit to playing the game at this level especially in smaller clubs, why not trial the kerry way of regional teams competing in the senior championship giving players the chance to stand out in big crowds against the best players in the county. Coming from a small junior club myself i look at the All Ireland Junior Championship played out of 3 provinces and ask why Ulster Gaa dont look at this as a way to promote the games at this level or. I know that my chances of playing for my county at senior level is slim playing junior football but i know pulling on the Derry jersey and any level would be a privilege.

On the topic of Kerry, I was told by a Kerry man last year that they work their dev squads differently. Here we have the "best" underage players from clubs on the dev squads. In Kerry they push the mid-tiered players from clubs to the dev squads. That in turn gives the "best" players in clubs more competition within their own club and develops a wider range of players. I thought it was a very good idea myself.

One of the big drivers in Kerry is the amount of club games they have, almost double what our senor players get. That's why I am in favour of these compos being played between the two sections of the league. I am disgusted at clubs having no football after the championship, so if you are beat in the first round in August, your next game will be April, how the feck will that develop players, although I do accept that most clubs are happy with that, which really defeats the purpose of playing.

tonesfirstandlast

Slaughtneil have made a very good appointment in Terence McWilliams. The best coach I have come across, he is away ahead of his time and you have to give credit to the Slaughtneil club for the way they managed. If baker had got the job there was going to be a bloodbath in the club.
I could listen to Terence talking football all night.

Atticus_Finch

Following Joe Brolly's article last Sunday, the Sunday Irish Independent issued a "clarification" at the end of his article today in relation to the two Derry minor footballers in Australia were not there for AFL trials but there for an ongoing "coaching and education partnership between GAA + st Patrick's college, Victoria.

The clarification should have been an apology - the direct insinuation that the coaching county's development manager was seeking to go against the objective of the very role that he is employed to do was simply wrong and worthy of an apology.

Saw Joe Brolly on the Late Late other night, hard not to admire all the charity work he does between organ donation and helping the homeless ... but as a gaa pundit I'm getting increasingly tired of this Eamon Dunphy-esque ways, he'll use the platforms he has between tv, podcasts and newspapers to put the boot into Derry Gaa in a very personal way which isn't helping the current transition period at all.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

DuffleKing

I read the reported transcript of his homeless man story and I was embarrassed for him

Newbridge Exile

Got beat by 4 by screen today, a few upsets  today Glenullin beating swatragh in swatragh, the major one , going be an eventful league by  the looks of things

theticklemister

Well done to ardmore this week, putting up a good score against Moneymore. Unlucky to Doire Colmcille who only scored a point against the Wolfhounds. Hopefully Joe.ie don't do a report on them like they did to Ardmore.

Derry Optimist

To the best of my knowledge  seven members of the present Senior football  panel ie Ben McKinless, Oran Hartin,Conor McCluskey,Aaron Bradley,Conor Doherty,Padraig McGrogan and Declan Cassidy  are eligible to play for Derry in this year's U20 Ulster championship which is supposed to be scheduled to begin in June.

However I also believe that if any of the above play for Derry in the  Ulster Senior championship   they immediately become ineligible to play in the U20.

Does anyone know if Derry Management have released these players so that they can play a full part in both preparing and playing in the u20 Derry team?

If so what seven  players have been added to the Senior panel?

restorepride

Quote from: theticklemister on April 08, 2018, 05:37:34 PM
Well done to ardmore this week, putting up a good score against Moneymore. Unlucky to Doire Colmcille who only scored a point against the Wolfhounds. Hopefully Joe.ie don't do a report on them like they did to Ardmore.
After only two games, the 3 'city' clubs in Division 3 have a combined score difference of minus 111, just to clarify, that is minus one hundred and eleven points.  Fair play to them for continuing to field.
With regard to Brolly, he is a self-centered, egotistical, arrogant amadán who looks down his nose at genuine ordinary GAA folk and thinks it is ok to do so on national tv.  His charm and luck will run out soon, sometimes I fear for his sanity. 

braveheart

Quote from: restorepride on April 08, 2018, 07:54:17 PM
After only two games, the 3 'city' clubs in Division 3 have a combined score difference of minus 111, just to clarify, that is minus one hundred and eleven points.  Fair play to them for continuing to field.
With regard to Brolly, he is a self-centered, egotistical, arrogant amadán who looks down his nose at genuine ordinary GAA folk and thinks it is ok to do so on national tv.  His charm and luck will run out soon, sometimes I fear for his sanity.
He is an incredibly clever idiot. I don't agree with most of what he says but I don't wish him any harm either.

shantygael

It doesn't help when you find out at 10.30am that your game has been switched from ogra to the  mid Ulster arena in Cookstown.rmayhem in Cookstown with roadworks, around a 20 minute delay and to top it of,finding out you're playing on a 3g surface  when you're walking towards the grass pitch to an already behind schedule warm up.more than half of the team with the wrong type of football boots.not that most of the grass pitches were worse than Healy park in monsoon season..
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

theticklemister

Why are the 'city' teams in apostrophes punk?

call it as i see it

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on April 06, 2018, 12:44:40 PM
Slaughtneil have made a very good appointment in Terence McWilliams. The best coach I have come across, he is away ahead of his time and you have to give credit to the Slaughtneil club for the way they managed. If baker had got the job there was going to be a bloodbath in the club.
I could listen to Terence talking football all night.

The only problem is would he even listen to you?

toby47

Any reports on any of yesterdays games?

restorepride

Quote from: theticklemister on April 09, 2018, 02:36:34 AM

Why are the 'city' teams in apostrophes punk?
Mainly because some GAA people view Ardmore as a city club, most Ardmore members do not. What do you think yourself punk?

Exiled Gael in Armagh

Any reports on club games from weekend in Oak Leaf County?